Anyone else HATE how calories are red when barely over?!

Options

Replies

• MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    And then the graph shows like this HUGE jump as if you really screwed up! Lol :laugh:
  • mrsraushel
    Options
    It bothers me some, but then... Stepping back and looking at the big picture helps reframe things...I could manipulate numbers so that number isn't red (like add in little bursts of exercise I didn't record), but I've decided it really doesn't matter so much when I mentally reframe things and I don't have to mess with the numbers on MFP.

That's where I'm at too. Trying to just accept reality. I broke even. I went over. Tomorrow's a fresh start! :)
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think the red is perfect. Our minds are conditioned to stop for red. I can't think of a more appropriate color.
  • mrsraushel
    Options
    We need a new thread: "Things that bother me but really shouldnt" ;)

bahaha!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It also turns red when you are at 0 calories left for the day. That really annoys me. It doesn't happen very often that I hit my calorie goal right on the number, but when I do it should not be red! lol

It should give us a smiley face or something when every single one of our calories are met for the day. LOL.

That would be encouraging :)
  • mrsraushel
    Options
    Red's my favorite color, so I don't really care.

I do think "... and was within 100 calories of her goal," would be a healthier message than celebrating "... and was under her calorie goal."

I think it promotes under-eating and obsessive behavior, ie "I'm over by 50 calories so I'm going to run up and down my steps for five minutes."

That's exactly what I'm trying to steer clear of--the obsessive behavior. For me, this is just about being HEALTHY and keeping tabs on just how many calories I'm eating/burning (I'd like to either balance out or have leftovers every day, if I can).

Red is just a color. I like red, too. :) Thanks for the reminder!
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Yes, I hate that! I feel like I have failed the whole day when I see red! Even if it's 1-2 grams over. It should be like a stop like, green, yellow, red. I can deal with yellow.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Does everyone seriously need a freakin' atta boy/girl EVERY TIME they are doing things they are supposed to do to stay healthy and are respecting their bodies?

Why is that not enough satisfaction?
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't give a shi*...This isn't about the color of the numbers...this is about my journey to a healthier me. Or maybe I have written too many Excel spreadsheets! :noway:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Working hard to one day get all my numbers in the red
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it annoys me. Someone suggested on the forums to set your goal higher (like if you're at 1400, make it 1450) so if you go over by a few it stays in the green.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'd say most people are here because they spent too much of their lives eating 'in the red' as it were. If you ate too much, eat less tomorrow. It'll be green. Eat too much...even a little too much, its red. Makes sense to me!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hate that! I feel like I have failed the whole day when I see red! Even if it's 1-2 grams over. It should be like a stop like, green, yellow, red. I can deal with yellow.

Seriously? Your emotions can be that influenced by the color of a number on a website?
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    just jump rope or run in place and it will be normal again.......

I do this sort of thing. If I'm over less than 100 say I might go for a walk just to get an extra little burn in. I don't know if that really helps anything but it makes me feel like I'm doing something.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I would love it if the program was green while under calories, black while in maintenance zone, and red when you go over maintenance. I think that would be very helpful.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am quite happy when it turns red because it means I reached my goal, and I am fueled for tomorrow's workout.

Never thought of it like that. Since I'm trying to reach my goal or even a smidge over and not be WAY under like I usually am, I may have to rethink my thinking ;)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    No. It's just a number.....a target.....nothing more nothing less.........If you are upset about being over I hope you are also upset when you are under as it is just as bad.
    [/quote]

Honestly, I'm not upset at all when I'm under. I almost never eat back all my calories. I'm on 1200, if I work out and burn 650 calories I can eat 1500-1600 fairly easily but 1850? I know it's silly and no doubt a weakness on my part but I tend to think of those extra calories as a reason to be bad. I have 250 extra calories....hello ice cream! So I thought it would be better to land on 1600 healthier calories then 1850 with 250 in crap. I guess I don't know how to successfully balance this. I don't know until the end of the day where I will be calorie/exercise wise. The ice cream right now is a skinny cow Ice cream sandwich but still.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I look at it as accurate, if you are over it should be red, even if you are just 1 calorie over...you are still over. If there was to be a Yellow, I would think only the number "0" would be Yellow. I have been to the Grand Canyon and trust me, if you walk farther than you are supposed to on a ledge it does not matter if it is 1 inch or 100 inches.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Seriously? Your emotions can be that influenced by the color of a number on a website?

Actually there have been psychological studies on how colors effect emotions. Indeed, the color red can cause anger.

http://www.uvsc.edu/disted/decourses/dgm/2740/IN/steinja/lessons/05/l05_08.html
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That was me yesterday, I was so mad and it bothered me so much that it motivated me to go walk the dog. Out of the red! Victory! :laugh: