Running-when does the speed come?

Options
13»

Replies

• nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did two things that really helped me this past year.

I watched the finishers come in on a five mile race. The really fast people who came in first were really breathing hard and looked beat. The slower ones did not. It really made me realize that I needed to push myself if I wanted to go faster and it might be hard and uncomfortable but that would be ok.

Found a running store that had "quality workouts" these are usually alternating track and hill work. The one by me is free on Thursday night and I really think it has helped me. Do not be scared to try it, just talk to the coach first. I am by far the slowest in my group but since we are running track (a circle) or hill repeats the coach will tell me modification but I am still working out with the other runners. I have learned a lot from the coach on form and from the other runners. I rarely miss it.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I started running a year and a half ago. When I started I was running at a 12:00 min/mile and it was EXTREMELY challenging. Like you, I worked to build up my endurance without worrying about how fast I was going. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in October of last year. My pace was 11:30. I ran that same race again this year (it was my 3rd official 1/2 marathon) and my pace was 9:33.

My improvement over time did feel rather "natural". I did not do any fancy interval running. I did run an occasional hill, but that only as they came up on the roads I was running. I did not seek them out or do anything to intentionally improve my time. What I did do, was use my heart rate monitor and worked to maintain my heart rate somewhere between 160-168 bmp. As my strength and endruance improved, I HAD to run faster in order to keep my heart pumping at that rate and by virtue of that, was able to improve my speed.

Also, I signed up for both 5K and 10K races between 1/2 marathons. There is something about the excitement of the day and the adrenelaine that comes along with it that pushes you just a little faster than you think you can go... and then you know you can go that fast so you do.

Now I am intentionally training for speed for my next 1/2 marathon. Since I ran my last in 2 hours, 4 minutes I really, really, really, want to be able to break the 2 hour mark when I run my next one in April so I've started to do intervals and other such "speed work". It's not that these things won't help you - they probably will - but you don't HAVE to do them to go faster than you are going now... just push yourself a little harder and you will get there.

Good Luck! Feel free to add me as a friend... you can never have too many "running" friends :)
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What you have accomplished in a year is truly commendable. Congratulations!

The general consensus above about pushing yourself and recommendations for areas to explore is solid. I would only add to find a group to run with. Running with others you will naturally begin to push yourself harder!

The point I will hammer on is like the responder above me stated, add some intensive cross training if it's not already part of your weekly regimine. An intensive boot camp, tradtiitonal boxing conditioning, or Crossfit style workout a few days a week would help push your body's ability to handle increased demands and keep all the other muscles in balance. Incorporate yoga or deep stretching keep everything loose. Good luck!
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree that interval & negative split runs, yoga, and strength all will help you improve your time. Having a weekly plan laid out so you aren't just flying by the seat of your pants helps also. If you start to focus on your pace & time, make sure you also include a few runs in there where you just strap on the shoe's & go, without worrying about your time. I find those runs to be very enjoyable & often times I run pretty fast. Good luck to you & way to go on your success!!!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    First - way to go, you are awesome. Glad to hear you're looking to be even more awesome :D

second - I've spent a lot of time in the same boat. I love running. For many years (and even now), I didn't particularly care about speed. But I tend to get bored and lose focus without a goal - and I know I can run as far as I want, so to keep my attention, I have recently decided to sort out how fast I can go. It's a completely different sport, and I'm still finding my way.

I have always hated intervals, the track bores me, and since I'm slow, my "fast" is honestly embarrassing. But fartleks, I thought I could do, and so I did fartleks and hill work each once a week, then two "moderate" runs and one Long Slow Distance. Lack of progress had me confused, got a real HRM (that records HR and GPS for distance/pace), and with the help of people on here, discovered - I was dong intervals all "wrong". Not bad, just not in a manner that would get me faster.

SO grab your HRM (sounds like you have one, excellent), sort out how to measure distances to suit your style (GPS, track, treadmill, car odometer), and do some research (here's a link that has rocked my world: http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf don't let the crazy paces throw you off, going from 15 minutes/mile to 10 is just like going from 10 to 5, at least for your purposes.) And make a plan. Measure everything you can, because it's hard to improve what you don't measure, and give yourself time. You'll get there.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would do intervals like people suggested. I would also suggest doing some races, 5k, 10k, and half marathon. In the races you will learn how hard you can push yourself. I always find when I'm not pushing myself on runs that a race will get me running in training much faster. If you don't want to enter some races, I think you just need to start pushing yourself on your runs and ditch the whole carry a conversation mantra.
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The human body is easily trained at becoming effecient. It is why some skaters skate with no effort, skiers ski with no second thought...you've trained your body to run and by doing the same thing over and over, your running is now easy. This is awesome.

The problem is that the amount of energy required for you to go on a normal run is minimal.

By doing some interval training/speed work, firstly you'll start burning more calories, and secondly you will be putting your body in an uncomfortable situation, which is the only way to increase your speed.

Just like running was hard at first, running fast will be hard at first also.

I also recommend cross training. Try spin class or something to get your heart rate up. This will help.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same for everybody, but I got A LOT faster when I started using the treadmill.
    I used to run outside all the time but when I moved to Cali it was way too hot for me to run outside, so I started going to the gym.

But yeah, anyways.. I cut almost a minute off my time just being on the mill for a month or so, it's super easy, since all
    you have to do is keep up without thinking much about anything else.. so you just go a bit faster one day,
    and then even faster the next day. I tend to end with a 3 minute sprint too, that usually increases my overall
    minutes/mile a fair amount too:)

SO YES. speed work/interval training/ treadmill is what I would suggest ;)

but amazing job on running 10 miles! that's fantastic!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Wow! Holy information overload-well not really. Thank you all. Just to answer a few things-I CAN run faster but for shorter periods of time. My most recent mile time is 11:48-still slow, but substantially faster than my "regular" run pace. I have run a few races-I am too slow to do longer races (would get picked up by the sweeper bus). My 5k pace has dropped in each race and my most recent was 13:06 min/mile. I bought myself a fancy-schmancy garmin as a present when I lost 50lbs, so I'm in good shape to measure distances and set things up to beep at me for time or distance. It seems there are some strides or tempo runs or intervals or fartleks or something in my future if I want my "regular" run pace to speed up. I'm not looking to be blazing fast, and don't care too much about calorie burns-I just like the blissed-out totally relaxed feeling after a long run and would love to run further without needing to bring an overnight bag cause it takes so long. Thank you all again! Happy running!