Protein powders that can be mixed in water?

Options

Replies

• jmiltenberger
    Options
    Perhaps it's because it's designed for overall nutrition, not just muscle building...

Checking out the stats on that ON Gold Standard Whey...the nutrition info just isn't geared to average, every-day people.

Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin E
    Thiamin
    Niacin
    etc...

None of those are in the ON shakes...they're basically just pure protein.

So, in my opinion, they each have their place in the market....they each market to different types of people with different fitness goals.

And they each perform their job well :)
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Primal Fuel. It was designed to taste decent mixed with water, though I usually use milk. Chocolate coconut and vanilla creme flavors (I don't normally care for coconut, but I like these). Lower-carb, sweetened with stevia and a bit of cane sugar. Pricier than WallyWorld or GNC products, but not as expensive as Shakeology or Visalus.

My teen and almost-teen aren't much on eating breakfast, so we've been using this for a couple of months. They both tell me it keeps them from being hungry until almost lunchtime, and they don't feel the need to raid the school vending machine at mid-morning break.

http://primalblueprint.com/products/Primal-Fuel.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's because it's designed for overall nutrition, not just muscle building...

Checking out the stats on that ON Gold Standard Whey...the nutrition info just isn't geared to average, every-day people.

Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin E
    Thiamin
    Niacin
    etc...

None of those are in the ON shakes...they're basically just pure protein.

So, in my opinion, they each have their place in the market....they each market to different types of people with different fitness goals.

And they each perform their job well :)

She was asking about a protein powder that gave her low cals/high protein. Not sure what these nutrients, that can be basically got from a multi, have to do with the OP.
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like european whey from shoppers drug mat or Kaizen from costco
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey - Chocolate Mint is my favorite. Tastes like a thin mint.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    any protein powder will be good in water if you mix it with a banana! that adds creaminess. the only one i've tried with water and no banana was herbalife's powders, but that contains whey so i stopped using them.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Clearvite
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I freeze unsweetened almond milk into ice cubes and blend my protein with that and a little water. Works great for a nice consistency. More water for thinner, less for thicker.

I use MuscleTech Elite Plus protein - 140 calories/30g protein per scoop.

Genius! I was putting in the almond milk, then ice cubes and it was too watery and bleh..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Primal Fuel. It was designed to taste decent mixed with water, though I usually use milk. Chocolate coconut and vanilla creme flavors (I don't normally care for coconut, but I like these). Lower-carb, sweetened with stevia and a bit of cane sugar. Pricier than WallyWorld or GNC products, but not as expensive as Shakeology or Visalus.

My teen and almost-teen aren't much on eating breakfast, so we've been using this for a couple of months. They both tell me it keeps them from being hungry until almost lunchtime, and they don't feel the need to raid the school vending machine at mid-morning break.

http://primalblueprint.com/products/Primal-Fuel.html

Overpriced and poisonous according to Sisson himself
  • tnt2035
    Options
    Try probodysolutions.com. The Lean Protien is great and so is the Sport.
  • jmiltenberger
    Options
    I was trying to answer the question someone else asked was how Vi can compete in the market, and I was just elaborating on how it has its place because it's not just protein, but has more overall nutritional benefits too.

But since it seems I'm not welcome 'round here, and because my knowledge about strict protein powder isn't up to your guys' level....well, discretion is the better part of valor, as they say....so bowing out of the thread.

Good luck with reaching your goals, however you may reach them everyone! :)
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    It really shouldn't be that hard, perhaps proteins too high or calories are too low?
    I aim for 1g per lb of body weight which puts me at 120 g and my calories are set at 1300 for weight loss. The real issue is that I don't eat a lot of meat and absolutely no fish. I love nuts but they are pretty calorie dense as well.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Trutein is my favorite. I've tried several Protein powders that I did not enjoy the taste of...Trutein was a breath of fresh air in taste...havn't looked back since. I use Banana Cream and Cinnabun but I've tried a sample of each flavor and Vanilla is pretty good too...just worried I would get bored with it.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It really shouldn't be that hard, perhaps proteins too high or calories are too low?
    I aim for 1g per lb of body weight which puts me at 120 g and my calories are set at 1300 for weight loss. The real issue is that I don't eat a lot of meat and absolutely no fish. I love nuts but they are pretty calorie dense as well.

You should aim at 1g of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass) as opposed to Body Weight....that should give you a bit more breathing room. Find out your BF% and you can figure out your LBM...then go from there.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I was trying to answer the question someone else asked was how Vi can compete in the market, and I was just elaborating on how it has its place because it's not just protein, but has more overall nutritional benefits too.

But since it seems I'm not welcome 'round here, and because my knowledge about strict protein powder isn't up to your guys' level....well, discretion is the better part of valor, as they say....so bowing out of the thread.

Good luck with reaching your goals, however you may reach them everyone! :)

It's my fault entirely. I made the mistake of assuming you were trying to sell something applicable to the OP's goals.
  • allegram
    Options
    Thanks for your contribution! My original intent was to find a protein powder that was low cal/high protein that tasted good in water, but the points you brought up are definitely a secondary concern. People get up in arms about health and wellness because it is a truly personal thing but I don't think that needs to happen on a board like this.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Dutch Chocolate. Isopure is the way to go, IMO.
  • allegram
    Options
    Thanks @Tilran. I've read various arguments about protein intake for women and men and goals etc. and most of it contradicts one another! Its always difficult to sort out what info is correct, so its nice to get some insight!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    ON Casein is the only one I really like in water. Muscle milk is also pretty good, but that's more of a meal replacement than a powder.

The chocolate is very good.
    I was rather leaning toward ON's whey because its supposed to be more beneficial for women looking to build muscle but Im might just have to try casein!

either one are a complete protein and will be useful to build muscle. Studies suggest that casein is anti-catabolic and whey is anabolic...but it really doesn't matter, they're just protein.

LOL @ casein is ani-catabolic and whey is anabolic. Kind of means the same thing just in different wordings. This is what the supplement companies do so well haha.. Obviously if you are not catabolic then you are anabolic... ANNNDDD any time you eat any thing you become what...... anabolic. So all food can be considered anti catabolic, but buy this protein now and become anti catabolic /anabolic today! Pretty silly when you think about it.:laugh: Boooiiiieee those supplement companies are soooo smart..*sarcasm*:smokin:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

If it's all new, you really don't need to be going straight for levels people recommend you, and as with macros/water/weight loss/gain/exercise everything can be worked towards rather than trying to hit everything on day one.
    You can expect results in a range of 1.6g to 2g of protein per KG body weight.

If you don't like lean meats or fish then low fat dairy, egg whites or protein supplements can be used to hit high protein while ducking under calorie goals,

HOWEVER your calorie goal is at BMR, and you'd be losing weight even if you were sedentary and not working out. You really should be eating more, which would also make hitting your protein goal easier without supplements.