So, This is What They Call a Mid-Life Crisis.

Options

Replies

• katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here is my prescription to help you. Buy a 12 pack of beer, put son something that shows cleavage and go tailgating and make sure you grill some steaks. Believe me you will get whistled at. Forget those panties get boy shorts. Color those greys and start doing zumba.

That is all I have.

I can drink more beer than most men I know , I have season tickets to Green Bay Packers. My problem must be the no-cleavage or boy-shorts. Thank you so much for the tip! I hope those undies are comfy.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I was on vacation in Maine and a kid looked at me and said I looked like his grandfather. Needless to say I started working out more. Grandfather!!!! Little M.F'er.... Just kidding.. sort of.

BTW, I don't know if you heard it but I just wistled at you ;)
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Here is my prescription to help you. Buy a 12 pack of beer, put son something that shows cleavage and go tailgating and make sure you grill some steaks. Believe me you will get whistled at. Forget those panties get boy shorts. Color those greys and start doing zumba.

That is all I have.

SoVictoRRious is a very wise woman!

And to the OP, I'm not the kind of guy to whistle but if I saw you in person I'm sure I'd be thinking it :) So, here's a virtual whistle sent your way [insert whistle audio file here]
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    You are only as old as you feel.

I am only 28, and had my first mid-life crisis at 22, lol!

Pretty easy to say when you are 28, believe me...

By the way OP, you look pretty damn good.

I suppose it is pretty easy to say when I am 28....except that I did not mention the high blood pressure, tachycardia, amount of dental work due to TMJ, or any other day to day woe is me. Oh yeah, and chronic migraines. So, like I said you are only as old as you feel. I feel pretty old.

a mid-life crisis is not about feeling old. it's about when you first realize that you're older than you feel and time is moving forward relentlessly. when i was 28, i didn't understand it. at 45, i now do. there are things you always wanted to do - always expected to do - that you're now too old to do. realizations like that hit you like a ton of bricks. that's what people mean when they talk about having a mid-life crises.
  • lynnk1971
    lynnk1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hahaha ... I know where you are coming from, I hit 40 last year and had a major panic ... so i ran my 1st ever (and last) 1/2 marathon, it was great fun. Now I have a mountain bike that im out on a lot. My other half rides motorcycles and i'm out on the back of his at the weekend (when the great British weather lets us).

I have 3 Grandsons, and I have to say i am probably in the best shape i've been in since school.

you really are only as old as you feel ... i'm still 18 :-)
  • foodie99
    Options
    These moments of questioning can sneak up on us at any point. I had one in my early 30s - starting wondering if I was where I wanted to be in life. That you have those moments aren't bad; in fact, I think it's good to check in with yourself and make sure you are in the right place in your life or to make changes to get to where you want to be. It's just that so many people make irrational or destructive choices in those moments that they get a bad rep.

Figure out what you'd like to do differently to feel better about where you are and make it happen.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am younger (31) but am now beginning to experience the first licks of mortality and the affects of age and time passing.

I'll be honest - it scares the hell out of me sometimes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hair color always makes me feel younger. And getting fit has helped me realize that I'm only 38 and do NOT have one foot in the grave!
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My midlife crisis was a motorcycle that I now dont ride. Gonna get rid of it after the first of the year and get me a sporty convertible. Maybe the wife wont fuss as much when im out in it.
    Of course my wife says that my son Bryce is a product of my midlife crisis. Was 40 yrs old when he was born and a product of a poisonous relationship, thankfully didnt marry her. Now raising him with my new wife while his mother has dissappeared into the wild blue yonder. No loss there.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Totally with you on this!

My oldest child (turned 18 in July) just moved out the week of Thanksgiving. I cried.

My youngest child (turned 17 in October) opted to stay home & work instead of traveling with us for Thansgiving. I cried.

My fiance & I hold the menu's for each other to read since we're too stubborn to admit we need glasses!

I noticed the other day I'm having to color my hair more often to keep the gray at bay!

I realized the other day that this school year is half over. Then there's only one more year & my youngest child will graduate & move away to college. I bawled!

I got all excited when my personal trainer "flirted" with me. He's 19. SO not right, but made me feel alive!

While Christmas shopping with my kids last weekend, I came out the store & decided to get a running start & hop on the cart & ride it through the lot like a 6 yr old. I grinned like the cat that ate the canary as some guy rolled down his window & shouted at my daughter "that's your mother, isn't it?"

I'll be 45 next week but still feel like I'm...ehh maybe 28, so how come when I get out of bed in the mornings, I have to hold onto the walls, dresser etc just to keep from falling down while I stumble to the bathroom? Pshhh...stupid aches & pains! Must be b/c I worked out too much the day before.

Yeah, that's it!
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options

I suppose it is pretty easy to say when I am 28....except that I did not mention the high blood pressure, tachycardia, amount of dental work due to TMJ, or any other day to day woe is me. Oh yeah, and chronic migraines. So, like I said you are only as old as you feel. I feel pretty old.

a mid-life crisis is not about feeling old. it's about when you first realize that you're older than you feel and time is moving forward relentlessly. when i was 28, i didn't understand it. at 45, i now do. a realization like that hits you like a ton of bricks. that's what people mean when they talk about having a mid-life crises.

Thank you so much for the clarification. But, I am pretty sure that I understood what a mid-life crisis was before I posted. I do understand at 28 what a mid-life crisis is, and I understood it very clearly at 22 as well. It was without a doubt a realization that hit me like a ton of bricks. I have severe anxiety, always have. I had a doctor tell me at 22 that despite the fact that I was an otherwise healthy person, anxiety caused my heart rate to raise to over 125 (at a resting rate), and I would be lucky to live until I was 25. FYI........the anxiety was due to the fact that life was moving forward relentlessly, and out of my control. I realized how important my family is, and they deserve better than that. There are also lots of other life defining events that I am not going to mention here.

So again, you are only as young as you feel. I believe that it is never too late to set out to accomplish anything that your heart desires.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Turned 48 this past August. Although, I'm a bit different when it comes to kids.. I've got a 6 year old and a 4 year old, so they keep me pretty young.. I do try and stay active. I'm an avid scuba diver and help teach diving when I can. I love to fly airplanes. Like others, I bought a cruiser motorcycle last year and have been LOVING that thing!! (I do highly recommend a bike for those thinking of it) And, of course, on top of all that, my Insanity/Les Mills Pump and programs like that help me work the extra Mid-Life weight off and stay active when I'm not outdoors doing stuff.. From what I've seen, you keep your body and mind active, you don't feel quite as old. Of course, on the other hand, I am typing this squinting at the monitor while wearing reading glasses. >| )
  • Subowski
    Options
    I've just turned 40.....I don't have any children but I still feel like I'm getting old.

I still wear 5 inch heels.....I just can't walk anywhere in them.
    I still listen to the same punk music I always loved as a teenager - but today the 20-something lad fixing my in-car bluetooth system looked at my playlist and said he hadn't listed to Alkaline Trio "since he was, like, 14."
    I look forward to going to bed at 9pm just so I can watch my favourite shows on my iPad.
    I can get really drunk for 20 minutes on one glass of rose spritzer (I used to be able to drink a litre of wine through a straw and chase it with vodka without falling over).
    My niggling lower back pain and sensitive skin is now becoming osteoarthritis of the lower spine and possible fybromyalgia.
    I can't see when driving in the dark either.
    I have a lot of cardigans in my wardrobe.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm in the boat where due to my wife's age, we pretty much have to have a kid next year. I think that's worse.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I'm in the boat where due to my wife's age, we pretty much have to have a kid next year. I think that's worse.

My husband and I are in the same boat. He is 38, and does not want to have children after 40. Although it would still be possible, he just doesn't want to be an "Old Dad," lol. He has one son already that is about to turn 12. So, we are at the point where we are done with diapers and baby proofing the house, and are not really sure if we want to start all over. We would have a newborn, and Jr. High student, lol!
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "Your'e only as old as you let yourself be"...I'm in the best shape of my life. Not about to let anyone or anything get in my way of enjoying whatever time I have left!!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    here is what happened to me at 50

I realize that I have an 89 year old mother that has a bad knee/hip and still moves around to keep herself active
    my 70 year old sister has beaten cancer twice and still runs around as much as she can with her grandkids ...yeah my other sister ..she's the strange one..but at 66 for her she still gets around. We come from a long family line of kick *kitten* till you are in the grave women and I have to carry on that trait.

I am in the best shape I have been in my entire adult life. I am just now taking up zumba and freaking love it. I am lifting weights (not heavy..I'm not into bulking.) I've lost 31 lbs...wearing a size 8 jean (and will wear stuff most 50 year old women won't because I CAN)..I love my curves..and I had always wanted to get my belly button pierced to go along with all the piercings and tattoos I have..but yeah there's that little bit of belly flap that will probably never let me do that...but oh well...I don't look as good naked as I do dressed...but I'm ok with that too. I am the only one I get naked for...my husband and I are only living together in the same house for the sake of convenience...and I'm ok with that too. In fact I run around with gay guys for the most part cuz I like them better :)

so if THIS is my mid life crisis...I'm pretty ok with it! Oh and my new midlife crisis fetish is knee high boots and skinny jeans! WOOT Feel free to add me ..I always enjoy new friendships!

* omg edited to say ...others can't see to drive in the dark either???? Oh good I'm not alone. I can't see for S*it to drive in the dark! I hate that!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

a mid-life crisis is not about feeling old. it's about when you first realize that you're older than you feel and time is moving forward relentlessly. when i was 28, i didn't understand it. at 45, i now do. a realization like that hits you like a ton of bricks. that's what people mean when they talk about having a mid-life crises.

Thank you so much for the clarification. But, I am pretty sure that I understood what a mid-life crisis was before I posted. I do understand at 28 what a mid-life crisis is, and I understood it very clearly at 22 as well. It was without a doubt a realization that hit me like a ton of bricks. I have severe anxiety, always have. I had a doctor tell me at 22 that despite the fact that I was an otherwise healthy person, anxiety caused my heart rate to raise to over 125 (at a resting rate), and I would be lucky to live until I was 25. FYI........the anxiety was due to the fact that life was moving forward relentlessly, and out of my control. I realized how important my family is, and they deserve better than that. There are also lots of other life defining events that I am not going to mention here.

So again, you are only as young as you feel. I believe that it is never too late to set out to accomplish anything that your heart desires.

i still don't think you understand. it's about realizing that certain things are no longer possible because you're getting older. that's why a lot of guys compensate by going out and getting a Porsche. they want to feel like they are still young, even if they are not. in my case, i never got married and never had kids. now it's too late for me. that's something a lot of people take for granted and it's something i'll never get to do. that's the sort of realization that hits you like a ton of bricks. at 28 you can't understand. intellectually, maybe. but until you get to your mid-40's, you won't really know. it's not about disappointments everyone faces in life due to the stresses of life. a mid-life crisis is about aging and the barriers it starts to put up in front of the grand plans you had for life when you were young. at least that's my take on it.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Is this whats happening to me?????????????? I never thought of it as a mid life crisis and now........ Well.......... I just thought i finally wanted to get my **** together instead of wasting life away like i have been. I to have vowed to get my motorcycle license and buy me a hot purple with sparkles motorcycle.:bigsmile: I am just so sick of sitting around, i want to get out there and do stuff, hike and bike and see shows and other cities and i cant find ANYBODY my age that will budge! they either say eh i had my time im donewith that kind of stuff, or im to old, or i cant do that my knees hurt, WELL SO DID MINE! UNTIL I CHANGED MY EATING AND DECIDED TO MOVE MY LAZY AZZ! UGH! They all sit in the friggin bars EVERY day of the week tho and thats just fine,thats livin! :yawn: I to have been thinking about how little time i have left and what a waste the last 10 years have been for me. I didnt think it was a mid life crisis, it isnt right? I just want to have some fun and live it up :tongue:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I already had the toys, (muscle car, motorcycle, etc.) so I joined a gym. And I make sure I go at least 4 times a week, for and hour and a half each time.