Cardio vs weights??!! Which do you do & WHY?

Options
Here is a great article from someone I follow on FB check it out & let me know what you think. **The language is a little harsh if you're sensitive**

OH YEAH ADD ME AS YOUR FRIEND :wink:

Joseph C. Donnelly's Fitness Page

Some key factors why you are not losing as much body fat as you want or achieving the physique you desire:

1) Missing meals or starving the body. Everyday I hear a story about some women saying I'm only eating 600 calories and doing an hour of cardio and I cant lose any weight. No ****. You are starving the body and it will refuse to let any fat go when starved.

2) You are doing too much cardio. If you want to get fit you need to lift. ESPECIALLY YOU WOMEN!! Lift, Lift, Lift. 70% of your efforts need to be with weights. Adding muscle increases metabolism and forces the body to burn more calories during the day. Cardio makes you soft and eats away at muscle.

3) You are not getting enough carbs. I see so many people especially competitors on this low and no carb diets doing 2 hours of cardio, only once they come off they find out their thyroids are shot and it can take years if ever to return to normalcy. If you are training daily your body needs fuel. Plain and simple. Eat healthy slow digesting carbs.

4) You simply are not working hard enough. If being fit was simple everyone would do it. Eating 5 healthy meals, doing some sets in the weight room and an hour of cardio does not guarantee you will receive the results you want. Life is all about return on investment. if you invest maximum effort into your studies, your job, finances or your body, you will get the desired payout in the end. Walking on a treadmill for an hour or getting on the stairmaster is not maximum investment., Its minimal

5) You are doing the wrong type of cardio. Get your *kitten* off the treadmill or elliptical. 20 mins of sprints or bleachers on the football field trumps walking and jogging on the treadmill for an hour all day. Believe it!!!!

6) Your lift can be fat burning as well. I know why so many people fail at lifting programs. They do a set, wait 3-4 minutes then do another. Boring Boring Boring. Yeah I would quit too. Shorten rest periods to a minute or less between sets. If you are not sweating 5 minutes in, you aren't working hard enough!! Increase intensity!!!

7) You have a cheat day not a cheat meal. I guarantee the person that invented the term "cheat day" was a fat *kitten*. Its "cheat meal" have a cheat meal once every 10-14 days and then get your *kitten* in the gym and make it work for you!!

8) Alcohol: Oh you cant lose weight but you drink come happy hour Friday or out Saturday night? No ****. If you want to cut the fat, cut the booze!!! I guarantee if you went 30 days with no alcohol you would see and feel a dramatic difference!!!

For more helpful info and all my workout videos join the team at www.joeydfitness.com

Goodluck guys:JD

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I do both and cut the drinking out when I started too..
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Cardio makes you soft and eats away at muscle.

Some very good points made in this article, but some others I completely disagree with ^ ^^^
  • Riddickeye
    Options
    Why do you disagree?
  • J_Kohler_2
    J_Kohler_2 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do both. Better all around. Cardio for the fat burn and weight for the muscle building.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I do both. I was never able to get below a certain weight without lifting, and then I kept getting smaller even though my weight went up.

I usually try to run 3 times a week and then lift 2-3 times. It makes me happy, and it makes me feel good.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Both.

Cardio to burn fat

Weights to encourage the preservation of lean body mass.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I run and bike becuase lifting sucks. To me, it's boring. Pick something up, then put it down. Repeat. Whoopee.
  • mkim3138
    Options
    ^serious? I lift 5 days a week, light cardio on the weekends
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like to do both. Cardio in the am and strength training in the evenings and of course mix it up.
  • p_s_a
    p_s_a Posts: 45
    Options
    Stairmaster kicks my *kitten*.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Cardio = can help lower high blood pressure, increase good cholesterol, improves your body's ability to move nutrients and oxygen to tissues and to dispose of waste products, will improve heart function, and of course it is a great way to lose weight with the right diet plan. This said I lift heavy 5 days a week and am not trying to lose weight, I am currently trying to gain some muscle mass so I have been limiting my cardio but will NEVER stop doing it!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do both.
    Cardio is like weight lifting for your heart and lungs.
    Weight lifting is like weight lifting for your muscles.
    The more muscle you pack on your body, the more calories your body burns every day.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    well put... thanks for sharing.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I lift weights. The only form of cardio I do is the stair climber and mud runs in the Spring/Summer. My cardio pretty much consists of "lifting weights faster.." lol. I used to do cardio, but have found my body looks better and more defined if I limit my cardio and stick with weights. Not only do I burn more calories while lifting, I also can eat more and have more energy.
  • gotobedmaryse
    gotobedmaryse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also do both. I don't see why it should be one or the other, they work so well together.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Cardio = can help lower high blood pressure, increase good cholesterol, improves your body's ability to move nutrients and oxygen to tissues and to dispose of waste products, will improve heart function, and of course it is a great way to lose weight with the right diet plan. This said I lift heavy 5 days a week and am not trying to lose weight, I am currently trying to gain some muscle mass so I have been limiting my cardio but will NEVER stop doing it!

^^^ He's got it! I do both but I do love a good cardio workout. I also love screaming muscles after lifting!
  • Riddickeye
    Options
    good thread :)
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I lift weights. The only form of cardio I do is the stair climber and mud runs in the Spring/Summer. My cardio pretty much consists of "lifting weights faster.." lol. I used to do cardio, but have found my body looks better and more defined if I limit my cardio and stick with weights. Not only do I burn more calories while lifting, I also can eat more and have more energy.
    ^^^^^^:flowerforyou:
  • Riddickeye
    Options

I find this true for me also^^^^^
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do both.