Cardio vs weights??!! Which do you do & WHY?

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Yes, "skinny fat" is a myth. Doing cardio with moderate caloric deficit and proper protein will not consume muscle.

What do you mean it is a myth. I thought "skinny fat " was a term to describe skinny people who are still flabby and possibly have a gut on them. Those people do exist. I have seen them.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no context with the phrase "Cardio eats muscles".

What does a general term like cardio mean?

What happens if you walk a mile?

Are all your muscles eaten away at the half mile mark? Scary stuff, maybe we should all move around in motorized wheel chairs for fear of cardio eating our muscles. Gimmie a break.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    READ THIS AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbrooks2.htm

Rid****eye, thanks for the article. It makes sense that using heavy weights will give your muscles the ability to actually lift heavy things lol (in pretty simple words) I think I get it now! The funny part is my kickboxing trainer has been secretly sneaking in weight training w/out me noticing. lol I do most of those exercises! I don't know why It never dawned on me that kettlebells are weight training..... newbie brain I guess. This is awesome, because next time I hit the dojo I will move to the 15 lb kettlebells or higher.

Thanks again!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Great points.

When I lift; I do circuit training so that my heart rate is up while lifting. I don't take a break between sets; instead I do more than one exercise and cycle between them without breaks....my only break? Getting a different set of weights for the next exercise. Not real tough when I have my own gym and dial-a-dumbbell

I do cardio 5x per week and weight train 2x per week and try to get in good stretching every day; however I am training for my first ever half marathon. My normal activity is 3x per week of weight training.and 4x per week of cardio. I do take a "rest" day; however I still walk 2 miles with a neighbor and sometimes walk with my husband on this "rest" day and I stretch as well.

Food? I like fuel and try to get in lots of good carbs (vegetables of all types at least 50% raw, fruit (raw) and some whole grains) and lean proteins.

I'm not losing weight very fast now, but then...I don't really have far to go. I'm very close to maintenance and not real concerned about 'losing" at this point. I've got my body fat down to 15% which is the lowest its ever been and for my age, I think that's pretty darn awesome. Trying to trim my hips and thighs a bit more, but it'll come with time and perseverance; I'm patient (okay not really, but I try :bigsmile: ).
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Yes, "skinny fat" is a myth. Doing cardio with moderate caloric deficit and proper protein will not consume muscle.

What do you mean it is a myth. I thought "skinny fat " was a term to describe skinny people who are still flabby and possibly have a gut on them. Those people do exist. I have seen them.

Agree; I've seen lots of "skinny" out of shape people with guts and flab. They are "skinny fat". There's not a lot of them, but they're all fat...there's little or no lean muscle tissue. What's the point? I don't want to be thin and flabby; therefore I weight train and do cardio.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A mix of cardio plus weights, although I prefer heavy lifting. Add a little bit of kickboxing and jiu-jitsu just to mix it up. Have to have the cardio otherwise my breath sucks.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I run and bike becuase lifting sucks. To me, it's boring. Pick something up, then put it down. Repeat. Whoopee.

Really?

I hate cardio. I lift 4-5 days a week. That is all.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Weights. Heavy weights

Cardio just turns me into a fat person who takes up less room. Do it for heart health occasionally, or for leisure. Nothing more.
  • samgray86
    samgray86 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Proper lifting is a cardio workout, two in one and done...When done the right way.
  • belladonna786
    Options
    Cardio eats muscles???

C'mon now, this myth been dead and buried for a long time.

Do both without fear of this eating that.

Nope not a myth.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    3 lifting days and 2-3 aerobics classes each week. I don't waste my time on cardio machines as they bore me, but I get my cardio in as well...both are very important for proper functioning of different things.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lift because I love it. I do cardio in preparation for the zombie apocalypse.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I run and bike becuase lifting sucks. To me, it's boring. Pick something up, then put it down. Repeat. Whoopee.

Really?

There is nothing more satisfying than a good lift.
  • Mutant13
    Options

Crossbow proficiency>cardio ability
    Real zombies can't run anyway ;)
  • Mutant13
    Options

Really?

Hallelujah
  • belladonna786
    Options

Really?

Absolutely ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...What happens if you walk a mile?

Are all your muscles eaten away at the half mile mark? Scary stuff, maybe we should all move around in motorized wheel chairs for fear of cardio eating our muscles. Gimmie a break.
    Yep. Just like if you eat 3500 calories for one day, you'll immediately blow up to 350 pounds, have a heart attack and keel over dead, right?

...oh, probably not. But maybe if you ate 3500 calories every day for a few months, there would be some kind of visible results - maybe not desirable ones, depending upon your goal.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Cardio eats muscles???

C'mon now, this myth been dead and buried for a long time.

Do both without fear of this eating that.

False. Any weight loss will be some combination of fat and muscle, just as any weight gain can be any combination of fat and muscle.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Both.

I love my cardio and my lifting...in fact my lifting is almost a cardio session too - very little rest in between sets and equipment changes. I set it all up before i start and move quickly from one piece to the other.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Crossbow proficiency>cardio ability
    Real zombies can't run anyway ;)

I'm not sure on this one. When you have a horde surrounding you on all sides. I think I would rather have the cardiovascular proficiency to zig zag and get the hell out of there.