quinoa???

Options
1lexisva
1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
What is it and what can I eat it with??

My cousin told me it is better than rice....and Healthy...

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Better than rice by what metric?
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It is better than rice due to the protein content...you can use it as you would rice.
  • Its a grain that is really high in protein and fiber. It is better for you than rice. Some people can eat it on its own but I can't unless its flavored right. I use quinoa in stuffed peppers though instead of rice. I also use turkey sausage instead of beef. :) There are tons of other recipes though if you google it.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Is it Healthier?
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy grain a lot like rice and can be used in many dishes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/super-foods/whole-grains/quinoa/

911633.jpg

int-quinoa-1.jpg

Zucchini+and+Corn+Taco+Seasoned+Quinoa+Salad+500.jpg
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Its a grain that is really high in protein and fiber. It is better for you than rice. Some people can eat it on its own but I can't unless its flavored right. I use quinoa in stuffed peppers though instead of rice. I also use turkey sausage instead of beef. :) There are tons of other recipes though if you google it.

Thanks! I just looked it up on google lol
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I believe it's technically a grain and it definitely has a lot of great qualities! I typically mix mine with avocado, tomato, corn, black beans, and a cilantro dressing. This varies based on what kind of leftovers I have or what else we might be eating for dinner. There could be chicken or shrimp in there, a different "dressing", or less ingredients in general. There are a ton of great quinoa recipes out there so do a search and see what sounds good.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The good thing is when you see what a serving size is, compared to the nutrition facts, it's wildly disproportionate. I can't put a whole serving on my plate, because it takes up the whole plate! It's crazy, but yes, we use it as a rice replacement.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe:

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,50400000122266,00.html

We eat a ton of quinoa!! :)
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's also gluten-free and has a slight nutty flavor. I love it! Make sure you're getting the pre-washed kind, otherwise it's a pain to prepare.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I love this recipe:

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,50400000122266,00.html

We eat a ton of quinoa!! :)

Thanks!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    It's also gluten-free and has a slight nutty flavor. I love it! Make sure you're getting the pre-washed kind, otherwise it's a pain to prepare.

Thanks for the heads up lol I don't know what to look for
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I believe it's technically a grain and it definitely has a lot of great qualities! I typically mix mine with avocado, tomato, corn, black beans, and a cilantro dressing. This varies based on what kind of leftovers I have or what else we might be eating for dinner. There could be chicken or shrimp in there, a different "dressing", or less ingredients in general. There are a ton of great quinoa recipes out there so do a search and see what sounds good.

It is a seed not a grain.
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cook it like oatmeal, put berries, bananas, peanut butter, flax seeds, etc and have it for breakfast.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use it to make temaki and faux fried rice
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Yumm for Breakfast
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It's good... but kind of expensive... I personally generally use pearl barley instead of rice... very low on the glycemic index scale and less calories.

But my fav. recipe for either... boil either in chicken broth or with saffron, then add grilled chicken, chickpeas, sauteed peppers and onions, goat cheese, and salf-free greek seasoning... best dinner ever!
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump
  • J_Kohler_2
    J_Kohler_2 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds good might need to try this!
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Easy to cook ! I replace rice as it has more nutrition than rice . Great in salads also!