Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 31 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 3 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 12%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just can't like quinoa. I've tried. I also can't get over the fact that I think it looks like a bowl full of eyeballs.

Good luck! :)
  • maggie2731
    Options
    bump
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy grain a lot like rice and can be used in many dishes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/super-foods/whole-grains/quinoa/

911633.jpg

int-quinoa-1.jpg

Zucchini+and+Corn+Taco+Seasoned+Quinoa+Salad+500.jpg

Beautiful and helpfull, thanks
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    QUINOA IS NOT A GRAIN, people!! Come on... do your homework...

You can use it as a rice sub. People also use it as a meat sub in things like chili. It's really good if you cook it by itself and add a little less than a teaspoon of cajun seasoning to it per one cup (dry). Some people also cook it plain but cook it in chicken broth to give it a flavor. I personally use it in red beans and rice (quinoa instead of rice).
  • jamers1949
    Options
    THAT IS FUNNY !! yikes!
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I just can't like quinoa. I've tried. I also can't get over the fact that I think it looks like a bowl full of eyeballs.

Good luck! :)

HAHAHA!!!!!
  • 1lexisva
    Options

You can use it as a rice sub. People also use it as a meat sub in things like chili. It's really good if you cook it by itself and add a little less than a teaspoon of cajun seasoning to it per one cup (dry). Some people also cook it plain but cook it in chicken broth to give it a flavor. I personally use it in red beans and rice (quinoa instead of rice).

Thanks!!! I have only seen it used by my cousin and she puts it in her salads
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful photos .Now every one can go YUM!
  • wareagle8706
    Options

Thanks!!! I have only seen it used by my cousin and she puts it in her salads

People use it for all different things. It's really good and really good for you. I've seen a lot of good suggestions on this thread. I also saw you can make burger patties out of them. I saw it on Pintrest, maybe google it??
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful photos .Now every one can go YUM!

YUM! LOL
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    What does BUMP mean??
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i just tried to like it and couldnt.. not for the eyeball reason though

my sister .. instead of stuffing , made a dish with something called farro in it.. which might be similar not sure, but it wasnt half bad

any body hear of farro?
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    i just tried to like it and couldnt.. not for the eyeball reason though

my sister .. instead of stuffing , made a dish with something called farro in it.. which might be similar not sure, but it wasnt half bad

any body hear of farro?

Someone posted about farro I will google it
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    What does BUMP mean??

People use to to mark posts that they want to read later because it then shows up under "My Topics"
  • 1lexisva
    Options
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Right. A grain is a seed from the grass family. Quinoa is a seed from the beet family. So rather than being a "cereal" it is a "pseudocereal". For most people, it doesn't really matter, so they don't care. If you are allergic/intolerant of members of the grass family, it matters!

• heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    it's delicious. Great texture and I use it instead of rice. In fact, I don't even eat rice anymore. It's basically tasteless so it lends itself to a bunch of flavors. I cook it with chicken broth, cayenne, cumin, black beans, and corn. Really yummy and healthy!