what happens if you eat too much protein?

Options
I eat eggs and chicken a lot and I keep getting in the red for over doing my "limit" for the day of protein. Everything else is in the green. What happens if you eat too much protein ?

I'm trying to stay away from breads and cheese and chocolate(love these foods) and have been eating a lot of eggs,chicken, fruits,and veggies.

Replies

• samerzz16
    Options
    It really depends on how much protein you are taking in per a day as well as if this is a constant high intake everyday. Usually it just depends on individual cases for what an excessive amount of protein can do to your body. Some of the symptoms include dehydration so make sure you are drinking plenty of water. That is usually the most common. if you eat red meat, drink alcohol and/or continue your diet high in protein, that will increase your uric levels and potentially cause gout. There are other future problems that can come up such as increase in Liver and Kidney function tests but unless you have any underlying medical conditions, this is not too much of an issue. Honestly, going a little over your daily recommended value of protein you calculated in your macros should pose no big deal at all. Hope this helps!
  • hsidky
    hsidky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Asides from some issues pointed out by samerzz16, the source of protein is also important. Egg yolks contain a large amount of cholesterol, and chicken has a non-trivial amount as well. If you have a history of high cholesterol in the family, smoke, are overweight, or don't exercise, I would limit egg yolk intake especially. Same goes for red meat. Going over your limit on MFP for protein intake though, especially if it's not by a lot, should not alarm you. Unless you have a kidney problem (in which case your doctor would have mentioned this to you already), you have nothing to worry about.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    In my experience: nothing. The way I look at it, sodium and fat aren't very good and I should try to stay under those numbers, but still get some. Calories and carbs are neutral and I should keep those about what MFP recommends. Protein and fiber are good and if I'm over on those, great!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I might be going out on a limb here but I think you'll be fine...I'm always in the red for protein and fiber and I think it's a great thing. In fact, it shouldn't be showing as "red" for these too. It should be a positive number, like "+2." My opinion.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    How much protein are we talking about here? MFP's protein numbers are set pretty low. Not all of those numbers you see are maximums. Many, like protein and fiber, can be considered minimums to shoot for.

I aim for 135 grams per day.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    one common side effect especially amongst us bodybuilders is too much protein causes your farts to smell like an chemical weapon went off every single time. If you're not getting excessive amounts of gas passing through then your protein intake is fine.
  • Mickeyriv
    Mickeyriv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    one common side effect especially amongst us bodybuilders is too much protein causes your farts to smell like an chemical weapon went off every single time. If you're not getting excessive amounts of gas passing through then your protein intake is fine.

AMEN!
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This happens...

2mmu921.gif
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    well you explode violently, of course.
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Hahaha this is all too true
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    well you explode violently, of course.

Ha!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had my numbers figured out last night at a nutrtion place....MFP was waaaay under on what I should be getting for protein a day, based on my height, weight, etc.....the lady told me I should be aiming for somewhere between 120 and 140ish per day
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    In my experience: nothing. The way I look at it, sodium and fat aren't very good and I should try to stay under those numbers, but still get some. Calories and carbs are neutral and I should keep those about what MFP recommends. Protein and fiber are good and if I'm over on those, great!

^^THIS!!!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    you turn into this really huge green monster with fits of rage \m/
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Excessive protein can put stress on the kidneys. You would need to eat a LOT of protein for a good period of time though. If you are eating less than 200g/day, you don't have anything to worry about, unless you have a preexisting kidney issue.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You get fat
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Asides from some issues pointed out by samerzz16, the source of protein is also important. Egg yolks contain a large amount of cholesterol, and chicken has a non-trivial amount as well. If you have a history of high cholesterol in the family, smoke, are overweight, or don't exercise, I would limit egg yolk intake especially. Same goes for red meat. Going over your limit on MFP for protein intake though, especially if it's not by a lot, should not alarm you. Unless you have a kidney problem (in which case your doctor would have mentioned this to you already), you have nothing to worry about.

Dietary cholesterol =/= serum cholesterol. Eat the yolks.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this:

enhanced-buzz-16117-1286564596-19.jpg
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    This

tumblr_lkwa28Kseq1qj7vtpo1_400.gif