what happens if you eat too much protein?

Options

Replies

• dinerroll
    dinerroll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You aren't getting too much protein. Even the risks cited by the second poster are negligible/non-existent for most people. Even if they were palpable, there's no way you're getting too much protein. I would think even eating virtually all of your calories as protein and being at a caloric surplus would still not be "too much" protein in terms of it causing most people health issues. Either way, you don't look like a BBer on a bulking cycle... ergo not too much protein.

Now... if you're eating more than 200g protein, it's way more than you need, but it's not "too much." Also, I'm guessing you're eating something like 90g... that's fine.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    one common side effect especially amongst us bodybuilders is too much protein causes your farts to smell like an chemical weapon went off every single time. If you're not getting excessive amounts of gas passing through then your protein intake is fine.

hahahaha this guy speaks the truth, also if you aren't getting enough fiber you're going to ship bricks.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had my numbers figured out last night at a nutrtion place....MFP was waaaay under on what I should be getting for protein a day, based on my height, weight, etc.....the lady told me I should be aiming for somewhere between 120 and 140ish per day

I aim for this amount since i am trying to build muscle. I weigh 104.
  • karag413
    karag413 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In my experience: nothing. The way I look at it, sodium and fat aren't very good and I should try to stay under those numbers, but still get some. Calories and carbs are neutral and I should keep those about what MFP recommends. Protein and fiber are good and if I'm over on those, great!

This...
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this:

enhanced-buzz-16117-1286564596-19.jpg

that didn't come from just too much protein :-)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    In my experience: nothing. The way I look at it, sodium and fat aren't very good and I should try to stay under those numbers, but still get some. Calories and carbs are neutral and I should keep those about what MFP recommends. Protein and fiber are good and if I'm over on those, great!

This...

Except for the fat part.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Pretty much this:

enhanced-buzz-16117-1286564596-19.jpg

that didn't come from just too much protein :-)

True. That was specifically from too much whey protein.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This

tumblr_lkwa28Kseq1qj7vtpo1_400.gif

15nmurm.gif
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have looked at the American diabetes association site and for q 1500 cal diabetic diet they recommend a lot mare grams of protein than what this site does. So when I am over a little bit I don't sweat it. What I need to do is put some excercise in my program. Right now it is none unless you want to consider Christmas shopping
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    You grow a little dingdong.
  • lorilincoln
    lorilincoln Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also agree that MFP underestimates the amount of protein needed. Based on my food diary I should be getting 69g of protein a day. I aim for around 130 based on what my doctor and a nutritionist friend have recommended.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You're fine...until one day..then:

qmelM.gif
  • duganed
    duganed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Animal protein gives you cancer.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Animal protein gives you cancer.

Animal cancer gives you protein
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Your head will explode.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You get fat

Ummm doh!
  • hsidky
    hsidky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol =/= serum cholesterol. Eat the yolks.

Fantastic logic there buddy. /s
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always plan to get 100 grams a day but fall shy of that. I consider the MFP numbers to be way off in all areas. And I personally think the Standard American Diet numbers are a bit wonky as well. Give it 10 years and everything they tell you now to do will be wrong and harmful in some way. Look what the low fat/no fat foods have done to this country. If you don't have pre-existing kidney problems you shouldn't have to worry if you go over. Just my opinion..
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

It is so sad that someone can not ask a serious question without a lot of people adding stupid replies.

You can add lots more protein than is the allowance on MFP and it will help to fill you up more.

Carbs have a lot of sugar content so I would try to ease back on those.

Watch the sodium and sugar.

But back to the protein eat and be merry, you won`t end up like the photos that have been posted unless you resort to lots of steroids n stuff.

Keep up with you chicken n stuff xx
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol =/= serum cholesterol. Eat the yolks.

Fantastic logic there buddy. /s

It's not logic. It's science.