Why do people take 5 min breaks?

Options

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I know for sure that power lifters are looking to get the maximum out of each lift, and will rest until they feel they can get their full reps for each set, rather than those who are looking to lift to muscle fatigue

different people have different goals and different needs

sorry bout it
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When you do sets lifting multiples of your body weight you will understand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just don't like when they rest in between sets on the weight machines instead of just getting up and walking around or something.

Why? Do you expect them to rerack their weights as well and then come back 3 minutes later to reload the bar?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just don't like when they rest in between sets on the weight machines instead of just getting up and walking around or something.

If someone is hogging a bench or whatever, I just ask them if I can "work in". They might not be aware that someone is waiting. I've never gotten attitude back.

Yup. Exactly. Usually they will jump right up.

Agreed also.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Haha if there are people like that and I start to get pissed, once they walk away I hop in. They come back as I'm finishing and say "I was using that" and I respond "not anymore"
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Haha if there are people like that and I start to get pissed, once they walk away I hop in. They come back as I'm finishing and say "I was using that" and I respond "not anymore"

Of course, being an *kitten* works too..
    :yawn:
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Do you even lift?

:huh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

If someone is hogging a bench or whatever, I just ask them if I can "work in". They might not be aware that someone is waiting. I've never gotten attitude back.

Yup. Exactly. Usually they will jump right up.

Agreed also.

This.

And once you get to the point where you are actually lifting any weight worth speaking of, and not pink barbie dumbbells, you will understand. Sometimes I REQUIRE a 5 minute break because if I don't, my last set will fail. Better to rest than drop a barbell on my chest.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Ugh I had this while waiting for one of the squat racks to open up yesterday. There were 2 people alternating at the one (not even doing squats #grumble) and one dude at the other. And each time they'd finish a set, they would walk around and CHAT to other people. I had to wait 15 minutes! I was so annoyed!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When people are lifting heavy weights they need to take breaks between sets in order to strength train and in order to have the strength for the next set. Also, they could have some kind of condition or injury they are dealing with (if they are taking longer breaks than average). If they are in your way, they will move if you ask.

Finally, some in here that knows something about lifting. I guess there's a reason this thread was posted in Chit Chat instead of a serious business section like F&E. When you're ready to start lifting in manner that will actually improve your body, perhaps you should send this young lady a FR so you can get some sound counsel.

Chit Chat. Heh.
  • samlankford
    Options
    one of the MANY reasons why I refuse to step foot into a gym!! I'll get a MUCH better workout just by popping in one of my MANY dvd's!! I will pick from P90X2, Insanity, or the Asylum... Have Les Mills Combat coming this month :bigsmile:
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Because they may not be as fit as other people so need to take the breaks in between
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The biggest guy in my gym takes really long rest breaks, even when he knows someone is waiting to use that piece of kit, and he will never let anyone cut in. One day, when TOM is paying a visit, I am going to end up starting a ruck with him.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    one of the MANY reasons why I refuse to step foot into a gym!! I'll get a MUCH better workout just by popping in one of my MANY dvd's!! I will pick from P90X2, Insanity, or the Asylum... Have Les Mills Combat coming this month :bigsmile:

Yeah. You get a MUCH better workout from P90X than from lifting. Muscle confusion!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There is a distinct difference between a 5 minute rest break and a 5 minute socialization break. I could see your frustration if you were waiting for a resistance machine or squat rack and the guys were hanging out around it. However, muscles need rest breaks, and if when you lift heavy enough to fatigue your muscles you will realize how useless a 30 second break is.

Having said that, I am irritated by people who hover by you waiting to pounce. I do my squats 5x5 with a partner. Our rest is about one minute after each set (for the other person to set up) and then spotting the other. I've actually had a guy lean against the mirror and watch us to wait through 4 sets each!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Yeah. You get a MUCH better workout from P90X than from lifting. Muscle confusion!

Couldn't resist:
    19318432.jpg

Edited because typos are ugly.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    The 5 minutes breaks for the lifters I understand. The smoke break halfway through your circuit on the cardio & fitness machines not so much.

JM
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    When people are lifting heavy weights they need to take breaks between sets in order to strength train and in order to have the strength for the next set. Also, they could have some kind of condition or injury they are dealing with (if they are taking longer breaks than average). If they are in your way, they will move if you ask.
    :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Riiiiiight!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Finally, some in here that knows something about lifting. I guess there's a reason this thread was posted in Chit Chat instead of a serious business section like F&E. When you're ready to start lifting in manner that will actually improve your body, perhaps you should send this young lady a FR so you can get some sound counsel.

Chit Chat. Heh.

Thanks Dave :angry: