Why do people take 5 min breaks?

Options

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Because we are lifting more weight than everyone else and need a little more rest to be charged for the next kick *kitten* set.

I do 3 warmup sets and 3 working sets when I squat. 25- 30 min is normal for the time it takes to finish.

I'm happy to let others doing at least 315 work in...
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Because you need to let the muscles recover to maximize your ability to perform on the next set. 5 min break is not excessive by any means for someone who REALLY lifts.
  • 2BeFit4Jesus
    Options
    Why do people sit on a machine, do one set, then play on their cell phone for 10 minutes...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The 5 minutes breaks for the lifters I understand. The smoke break halfway through your circuit on the cardio & fitness machines not so much.

JM

Don't judge me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    To give their hemorrhoids a rest.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well there should be a limit for "breaks" or if they want to people watch or socialize then pick a different place to do it :huh:

Ha- if only! This is their socialization! I work for a gym so I see this a lot in classes and out in weight room. Not everyone is there to "work out" many are there to "work it". :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When people are lifting heavy weights they need to take breaks between sets in order to strength train and in order to have the strength for the next set. Also, they could have some kind of condition or injury they are dealing with (if they are taking longer breaks than average). If they are in your way, they will move if you ask.

Finally, some in here that knows something about lifting. I guess there's a reason this thread was posted in Chit Chat instead of a serious business section like F&E. When you're ready to start lifting in manner that will actually improve your body, perhaps you should send this young lady a FR so you can get some sound counsel.

Chit Chat. Heh.

Thanks Dave :angry:

What I do? BP was here first! Okay Okay, send Sara a FR too, but you better hurry. The FL limit on the site is 500 and she is almost fillt up
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    if its actually a recovery break then I don't care, what really bugs me tho, are those little girlies (coming in pairs only) that sit usually on the adductors/abductors maschines for ages not doing anything but chatting
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    It's already awkward to do strength training in front of other people at the gym, why do some people seem to take 5 minutes in between sets just sitting around? Don't most people want to exercise and get out of there? It's so annoying :noway:

5 minutes is most likely too long, maybe not depending how they are lifting and what lifts they are doing, but you do need recovery breaks between sets.

What drives me crazy is the people (I've seen this twice) who will be on the cellphone when lifting.. They'll lift sit up pick up the cell phone continue talking then put the phone down and lift again and on.. and on..
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Haha if there are people like that and I start to get pissed, once they walk away I hop in. They come back as I'm finishing and say "I was using that" and I respond "not anymore"

With that kind of attitude, you better be the baddest SOB in the gym.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I use those five minutes to scope out the Yoga Pants in the gym. And then I need to access whether they're see-through....wait my official answer is because I'm tired.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What drives me crazy is the people (I've seen this twice) who will be on the cellphone when lifting.. They'll lift sit up pick up the cell phone continue talking then put the phone down and lift again and on.. and on..

Unless their cellphone weighs just as much as whatever they are lifting, I think that is quite counterproductive. Unevenly built arms. Haha.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Again, depends on the lifts..

EXAMPLE:

personal-trainer-meme-generator-15-reps-of-curls-chat-with-client-for-5-minutes-between-sets-b0a8ac.jpg

You aren't going to take a 5 minute recovery break from curls.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Give me 5 minutes and I'll tell you. Go!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It takes between 3-5 minutes to fully recover your strength, which is rather important when you're powerlifting. I generally rest for a timed 2 mins between work sets, but if I'm pushing for a new PR, the breaks get a lot longer.

Most of the time I hate waiting, there's nothing worse than sitting there just waiting for 5 minutes. I've never minded someone "working in" as long as they don't try to do ALL of their sets at once and force me to wait. After all, there are short term adaptations that last less than 10 minutes and I don't want to cool down too much.
  • Fr33zefram3
    Fr33zefram3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've done this before, I don't want to lose the machine because I was still using it. But, often people will come up to me and ask if they can work in a set with me. Never an issue.

I've done the same as well. When someone's just sitting there, clearly marking a machine that you want to use. Just ask if they wouldn't mind you working a set while they're resting. I can't see anyone disagreeing unless they were just about to start their sets again.
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    Haha if there are people like that and I start to get pissed, once they walk away I hop in. They come back as I'm finishing and say "I was using that" and I respond "not anymore"

Sorry man, but your *kitten* would get thrown all around that gym if you did that to me.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well there should be a limit for "breaks" or if they want to people watch or socialize then pick a different place to do it :huh:

You will find in life, people don't always do what is most convenient for you..

^ Also, a lot of times it will in fact, be inconvenient for you.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Sorry man, but your *kitten* would get thrown all around that gym if you did that to me.

yeah...you may as well pee on me shoes if you take my squat rack while I'm grabbing a drink of water and my towel is still on the rack.
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    To the OP, let me explain why people serious about lifting take breaks.

It's important to be fully recovered before your next set because your ability to maximize the overload on the muscle will directly reflect in the muscle growth it produces. You want to strive for recovery that will allow you to lift the maximum amount of weight for the next set.

As you perform lifting heavy weights, many things are happening inside of our bodies and muscles. Muscle contraction takes cellular energy, oxygen, and chemical reactions within the cells and many other molecular activities. As you take each rep, you deplete your muscles of this. You need ample time to get them back. It varies from person to person, but most people range from 1 minute to 3 minutes until they are ready for the next set.

Now I will say that if someone is talking to someone else for 15 minutes between sets, then I will ask them if they are finished. But I try not to be an *kitten* about it.