Protein in a vegetarian diet

Options

Replies

• Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you are a cook, i can give you an awesome recipe for home made chili that's high in protein and is vegetarian.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The highest quality protein come from animal sources. So as a vegetarian, you'll want to focus on eggs and dairy. You're already eating eggs which is great (don't be afraid of the yolks as long as you account for the calories). Cottage cheese is a great source of protein. So are various types of yogurt. I'm a fan of Siggi's Skyr (100 calories w/ 14 grams of protein). And whey protein shakes are an option. They not what I'd consider diet food, but if you're not going to hit your macronutrient goals any other way then they're quite useful.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy, don't worry about your protein, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The whole protein myth has just been perpetuated as a way to keep selling nutritionally ignorant people chopped up animals as food.

Eating a vegetarian diet, you will get enough protein as long as you are eating whole, unprocessed plant foods.

Protein's usefullness for both overall weight loss and helping to preserve muscle while burning fat has been demonstrated over and over again. Anyone who has internet access and knows what pubmed is shouldn't have much trouble coming that conclusion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy, don't worry about your protein, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The whole protein myth has just been perpetuated as a way to keep selling nutritionally ignorant people chopped up animals as food.

Eating a vegetarian diet, you will get enough protein as long as you are eating whole, unprocessed plant foods.

I thought the protein myth was apparently perpetuated by the supplement companies. /sarcasm font

Saying not to worry about protein is just silly. It is important for muscle growth/maintenance as well as being satiating (plus has a higher TEF than the other macros).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I thought the protein myth was apparently perpetuated by the supplement companies. /sarcasm font

Saying not to worry about protein is just silly. It is important for muscle growth/maintenance as well as being satiating (plus has a higher TEF than the other macros).

^ This is correct.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    How about protein powder?
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoothy queen. For vegetarians there are lots of whey protein powders out there; I'm vegan and use a raw brown-rice protein powder.

One easy example is a cup of Almond Milk, a scoop of protein poweder, a half cup or more FROZEN berries and a couple of cubes of ice. Add a little sweetener to taste. Blend. Makes a fabulous breakfast - protein and fruit.
  • emmyelleNYC
    emmyelleNYC Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I feel like I'm eating SO many carbs though since fruits and veggies are mostly carbs... especially when l make veggies with pasta or something like that.
  • emmyelleNYC
    emmyelleNYC Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoothy queen. For vegetarians there are lots of whey protein powders out there; I'm vegan and use a raw brown-rice protein powder.

One easy example is a cup of Almond Milk, a scoop of protein poweder, a half cup or more FROZEN berries and a couple of cubes of ice. Add a little sweetener to taste. Blend. Makes a fabulous breakfast - protein and fruit.

I love smoothies too! I haven't found a protein powder that I like and I'm also concerned about getting bulky (I know that won't happen overnight and my trainer from over the summer said that doesn't happen but its still a concern of mine, I can't really be talked out of it lol).

What is the name of the powder you've been using? Maybe I can find a sample somewhere :smile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (14 grams!!)
    skim milk/ almond milk/ soy milk
    low fat cottage cheese
    string cheese and other cheese
    eggs
    beans
    nuts
    Protein powders
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Of course, there are vegan supplements that you can use...
    Some food options include...
    Seitan 22 grams per 100 calories.
    Veggie burgers 13 grams per 100 calories...
    Veggie dogs 13 grams per 100 calories...
    Spinach 13 gramsper 100 calories...
    Firm Tofu 11 grams per 100 calories...
    Tempeh 9 grams per 100 calories...
    Lentils 8 grams per 100 calories...
    Beans from 5 to 6 grams per 100 calories...
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Drink soy milk it has lots of Protein and it's better for you then regular milk :wink: Eat your fruits and veggies, btw did you know numerous veggies contain a good source of Protein. I stay away from eggs and cheese, some soy cheese tastes good. Morning Star has numerous burgers that are wonderful but eat in moderation (the sodium content is high). Good Luck :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I love smoothies too! I haven't found a protein powder that I like and I'm also concerned about getting bulky (I know that won't happen overnight and my trainer from over the summer said that doesn't happen but its still a concern of mine, I can't really be talked out of it lol).

What is the name of the powder you've been using? Maybe I can find a sample somewhere :smile:

Protein powder is really just protein - you get the same thing from meat and other sources.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Word! If I read one more carbs bad, animal fat and protein good thread I may scream...
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

While i'm not going to disagree, i will say that protein does seem to keep me feeling full for longer than veggies do. ( just my personal observation.). Edit; i'm interprting the above statement as, you get enough essential amino acids from a healthy diverse veg diet, and you don't need to eat protein per say.

I've been eating alot of tofu, quark cottage cheese and mock meat . They are all good sources of protein without to many calories.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options

While i'm not going to disagree, i will say that protein does seem to keep me feeling full for longer than veggies do. ( just my personal observation.). Edit; i'm interprting the above statement as, you get enough essential amino acids from a healthy diverse veg diet, and you don't need to eat protein per say.

I've been eating alot of tofu, quark cottage cheese and mock meat . They are all good sources of protein without to many calories.

I eat a lot of whole grains, vegetables and starchy veggies like sweet potatoes. I am never hungry and I get plenty of protein from my plant sources. I mean you don't have to worry you are getting enough, the typical American eats more protein than they really need. ( and before someone says it...I'm not talking about weight lifters and the like but the average person who is not an athlete. My vegetarian daughter is a gymnast and I supplement her meals with extra protein I don't need.). If you eat a well balanced veggie diet you will get plenty of protein
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but my favorite treat right now, is hummus. It's high protein, and yummy! The way I do it is 1 can of chick peas, 1/4 of tahini, 1 tbs of lemon juice, 2 tbs of diced garlic ( I really like garlic :) ) and a dash of hot sauce. I eat it on everything, veggies, crackers, and even wraps. :) Hope this helps.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but my favorite treat right now, is hummus. It's high protein, and yummy! The way I do it is 1 can of chick peas, 1/4 of tahini, 1 tbs of lemon juice, 2 tbs of diced garlic ( I really like garlic :) ) and a dash of hot sauce. I eat it on everything, veggies, crackers, and even wraps. :) Hope this helps.

quarter of a CUP of tahini lol sorry
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want to make quinoa but you're not in the mood for a lot of work, something really easy that I think is pretty good is to just make it plain and squeeze some lemon on it. If you're feeling motivated steam some spinach and mix that in too. :)
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a healthy diet you should be getting enough protein. No need to add extra unless you are doing very strenuous workouts or a lot of weight training. You really only need between 45 and 55 grams of protein per day.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm