Protein in a vegetarian diet

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a healthy diet you should be getting enough protein. No need to add extra unless you are doing very strenuous workouts or a lot of weight training. You really only need between 45 and 55 grams of protein per day.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

This assumes maintenance. At a deficit it is recommended to get more. Also, when trying to gain muscle (when eating at a surplus) you require more.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy, don't worry about your protein, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The whole protein myth has just been perpetuated as a way to keep selling nutritionally ignorant people chopped up animals as food.

Eating a vegetarian diet, you will get enough protein as long as you are eating whole, unprocessed plant foods.

Word! If I read one more carbs bad, animal fat and protein good thread I may scream...
    Why?

The government guidelines are aimed at your ordinary sedentary person not looking to gain or lose weight / gain or preserve lean mass.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of vegetarian sources of protein.

- eggs
    - quinoa (use like rice)
    - hummus
    - TVP (Bob's Red Mill sells a dried version you can mix with water, my 5 year old will even eat it mixed with taco seasoning/in tacos. 12 g protein, 15% RDA of iron).
    - any lentil
    - nuts/tree nuts/peanut butter
    - tofu
    - "fake meat", if you're into that kind of thing
    - if all else fails, protein bars/smoothies/drinks

Honestly, my biggest issue is iron, and I eat a lot of leafy greens.

ETA: My bad, I misread your fear of cheese for eggs. Just eat cheese in moderation. Honestly, I wouldn't really worry about fat since your diet's probably very low in saturated fat anyway.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy, don't worry about your protein, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The whole protein myth has just been perpetuated as a way to keep selling nutritionally ignorant people chopped up animals as food.

Eating a vegetarian diet, you will get enough protein as long as you are eating whole, unprocessed plant foods.

Word! If I read one more carbs bad, animal fat and protein good thread I may scream...
    Why? It's the truth. Unless you're running marathons, or having intense workouts, you really don't need as much carbs as you do protein. ANy one with a basic understanding of biology knows that. Unused carbs turn to fat, true so does unused protien, but your body uses more protein than carbs unless you're doing intense exercise.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My newest found protein source is corn tortillas...5 grams of protein per tortilla. Scramble up an egg with a little cheese and hot sauce maybe a few black beans and wrap it in a corn tortilla have with a 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt and some fresh fruit and voila!! ...My latest go to high protein breakast!! (Be sure it is a corn tortilla...not flour.)
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like reading all this, but I doubt this has been said. . .Bulgar Wheat w/soy (10grams of protein for 110 calories) try it for a yummy breakfast!
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    the government guidelines are written by a bunch of people who are in the back pockets of the meat and dairy industry so of COURSE they are going to tell you that it is so very important. I dont believe anything a government guideline that considers KETCHUP a vegetable in school lunches tells me about nutrition, or who sells meat tainted with ecoli, and meat filled with antibiotics ..sorry I am not buying it. Carbs..as in the sort from vegetables, whole unprocessed grains (like brown rice, not bread) and legumes are the most efficient fuel the human body has at its disposal.
    500 calories of vegetables and grains is a LOT more food than 500 calories of animal based protein and fat. The calorie density of different foods is as follows:

Fresh Veggies are around 100 cal/lb
    Fresh Fruits around 250-300 cal/lb
    Starchy Veggies/Intact Whole Grains around 450-500 cal/lb
    Legumes around 550-600 cal/lb
    Processed Grains (even if their Whole grain) around 1200-1500 cal/lb
    Nuts/Seeds around 2800 cal/lb
    Oils around 4000 cal/lb
    Meat, depending on how much fat, can range anywhere from around 600 cal/lb to over 1200 cal/lb

so it seems logical to me that if you eat more foods that are nutritionally dense and lower calorie density..the top 4 on that list..and less of the foods from the bottom 4, you wont feel hungry, will consume fewer calories and believe it or not get enough protein. Id rather eat a pound of my carbs at 100-500 calories than a pound of oils and protein at 600-4000 calories and far less food.
    I never said you didnt NEED protein or fat, you just dont need nearly as much as the USDA guidelines or low carb diet gurus would lead you to believe.
  • freckles_cmj
    Options

Why? It's the truth. Unless you're running marathons, or having intense workouts, you really don't need as much carbs as you do protein. ANy one with a basic understanding of biology knows that. Unused carbs turn to fat, true so does unused protien, but your body uses more protein than carbs unless you're doing intense exercise.

anyone with a basic understanding of biology knows that the first fuel your body burns is carbs...followed by protein when the carb stores are depleted, and lastly fats, drawing from stored fat in the body. You do not burn protein just sitting around. The proteins main function is muscle building and repair, not fuel, thats the job of the carbs. Fat is tougher to break down into energy and the process does not begin until after a bit of time exercising, and carbs are used up.
  • freckles_cmj
    Options
    Sorry...I meant to say you burn carbs then fat stores, protein is used as fuel as a last resort because its function is muscle building and repair not fuel. We need an edit button for the overtired....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    the government guidelines are written by a bunch of people who are in the back pockets of the meat and dairy industry so of COURSE they are going to tell you that it is so very important. I dont believe anything a government guideline that considers KETCHUP a vegetable in school lunches tells me about nutrition, or who sells meat tainted with ecoli, and meat filled with antibiotics ..sorry I am not buying it. Carbs..as in the sort from vegetables, whole unprocessed grains (like brown rice, not bread) and legumes are the most efficient fuel the human body has at its disposal.
    500 calories of vegetables and grains is a LOT more food than 500 calories of animal based protein and fat. The calorie density of different foods is as follows:

Oils around 4000 cal/lb
    Meat, depending on how much fat, can range anywhere from around 600 cal/lb to over 1200 cal/lb

so it seems logical to me that if you eat more foods that are nutritionally dense and lower calorie density..the top 4 on that list..and less of the foods from the bottom 4, you wont feel hungry, will consume fewer calories and believe it or not get enough protein. Id rather eat a pound of my carbs at 100-500 calories than a pound of oils and protein at 600-4000 calories and far less food.
    I never said you didnt NEED protein or fat, you just dont need nearly as much as the USDA guidelines or low carb diet gurus would lead you to believe.
    Actually, my entire point was government guidelines are protein are low... so...

And btw, not all of us are narrowminded enough to think the only government guidelines are from the US. They're low in the UK too, and our meat and dairy aren't subsidised.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Government guidelines for protein are ridiculously low and I wouldn't even recommend them at maintenance intake. And I would especially not recommend them in a caloric deficit.

I would at LEAST double the RDA as a starting point for most people even if you're not weight training.
  • freckles_cmj
    Options

Oils around 4000 cal/lb

Actually, my entire point was government guidelines are protein are low... so...

And btw, not all of us are narrowminded enough to think the only government guidelines are from the US. They're low in the UK too, and our meat and dairy aren't subsidised.

and calling me narrow minded because I only addressed the guidelines related to my personal experience well. I am done discussing anything with you. Good day
  • freckles_cmj
    Options
    Government guidelines for protein are ridiculously low and I wouldn't even recommend them at maintenance intake. And I would especially not recommend them in a caloric deficit.

I would at LEAST double the RDA as a starting point for most people even if you're not weight training.

For me personally that much protein did not work for weight loss...my diet used to be very protein heavy when I tried things like weight watchers or other "traditional" diet plans. now eating plant based and not worrying about the macros for the first time in many years I am losing weight without feeling deprived and hungry all the time. i wont argue that some people need more protein than others, thats very true, my athlete daughter requires more to build and repair her muscles as she trains, but for most people the requirements are not as high as the traditional guidelines for nutrition have led us to believe. If you look at other areas of the world where diets are traditionally less protein dense...such as Asia where the diet traditionally was rice and vegetable based with animal protein not the main focus of the meal, they dont have the obesity epidemic that places that eat more protein such as the states do.
    I think carbs get a bad rap and its just not true...carbs are the most efficient fuel for our bodies and what is burned first. Protein is not supposed to be the fuel source..it has other functions it is better suited to which is why the body does not burn it first, but last. I have never felt better and more energized than i have the last few months, and my protein intake is not where the govt recommends..and neither is my fat. Its working for me and nothing is going to change my mind, not all the carb bashing and protein praising in the world, because it is not completely accurate.
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian too! There's tons of amazing stuff with protein in it that's vegetarian. :) This is some of the stuff I eat!

- Oatmeal (steel cut) has 5 grams.
    - I like adding chocolate chips to like, everything I eat. (I know, not the healthiest whatever! (: ) to it. (1/4 cup = 4-5 grams +)
    - Amy's frozen foods (I love her gluten-free burritos, light-and-lean pastas, and Indian dishes) have tons of protein. (amys.com)
    - Weight Watcher's Smart One's pastas
    - LeanPocket's Tomato-cheese pizza, 4 cheese pizza, Spinach and cheese pizza
    - Greek yogurt, some low-calorie ice creams and frozen yogurts. (like Fit Freeze)
    - Flax meal, peanut butter, and almond butter (try PB2 if you're steering away from high-calorie foods)
    - Kraft Fat-free cheddar cheese. (1 serving (1/4 cup) = 45 calories, 9 grams of protein...no fat!...but the fat in cheese is essential fats, not the kind that will...make you fat haha. I don't know if that makes sense...basically they're the healthy fats)
    - egg whites in smoothies, etc.
    - bagels (Surprisingly has lots of protein!)

hope this helps!
  • racmar0208
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese (I add blueberries or some organic unsweetened apple sauce and cinnimon)

Greek Yogurt. I recently discovered that you can add 0cal ranch seasoning to non fat plain greek yogurt to make a super healthy ranch dip for veggies.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

For me personally that much protein did not work for weight loss...my diet used to be very protein heavy when I tried things like weight watchers or other "traditional" diet plans. now eating plant based and not worrying about the macros for the first time in many years I am losing weight without feeling deprived and hungry all the time. i wont argue that some people need more protein than others, thats very true, my athlete daughter requires more to build and repair her muscles as she trains, but for most people the requirements are not as high as the traditional guidelines for nutrition have led us to believe. If you look at other areas of the world where diets are traditionally less protein dense...such as Asia where the diet traditionally was rice and vegetable based with animal protein not the main focus of the meal, they dont have the obesity epidemic that places that eat more protein such as the states do.
    I think carbs get a bad rap and its just not true...carbs are the most efficient fuel for our bodies and what is burned first. Protein is not supposed to be the fuel source..it has other functions it is better suited to which is why the body does not burn it first, but last. I have never felt better and more energized than i have the last few months, and my protein intake is not where the govt recommends..and neither is my fat. Its working for me and nothing is going to change my mind, not all the carb bashing and protein praising in the world, because it is not completely accurate.

I am fine with moderate carbs but protein can be a fuel and actually has a higher TEF than carbs and is generally more satiating to most. but the statement re obesity epidemic is not one of causation. It is not protein that is causing the obesity epidemic in the US and other countries.
  • slushieee
    slushieee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I personally use eggs, quinoa, whey, veggie burgers, and occasionally tempeh as my protein sources and I'm able to get about 110-130grams a day..it's not that much to a lot of people but it works for me and I'm able to stay in my calorie range.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on protein in relationship to maintaining a calorie deficit. It is especially pertinent to vegans, but the same principles apply to vegetarians:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2011/03/meeting-protein-needs-on-a-vegan-diet-the-calorie-connection.html
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm a vegetarian and have been for a few years now. I want to up my protein because I've read that it is a good way to lose weight, however, I am having a hard time trying to find ways to incorporate it into my diet. I've started to eat egg whites every morning, add beans to salads, etc. I also eat cheese because that has a decent amount of protein, but it is also high in fat so I'm trying to find a good balance of it.

Does anyone have any ideas or recipes they like that have protein and are vegetarian friendly?

Any ideas would be awesome :)

-Emily

Almonds, pistachios, peanuts, peanut butter. Protein shakes. (Boost is a favorite of mine.) Like you said, cheese (there are fat free cheeses!), milk, yogurt. Quinoa. Lentils. And tofu! A lot of people don't like it, but I flavor mine with soy sauce and I find it absolutely delicious. Hope this helps! There are also a lot of soy based vegetarian "fake meat" products. Quorn, Morning Star, and Veggie Patch are some of my favorites. I hope this helps!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm a vegetarian and have been for a few years now. I want to up my protein because I've read that it is a good way to lose weight, however, I am having a hard time trying to find ways to incorporate it into my diet. I've started to eat egg whites every morning, add beans to salads, etc. I also eat cheese because that has a decent amount of protein, but it is also high in fat so I'm trying to find a good balance of it.

Does anyone have any ideas or recipes they like that have protein and are vegetarian friendly?

Any ideas would be awesome :)

-Emily

Protein is not the secret to weightloss. It's just a rumor here on MFP.