Would bulking/cutting be good for me? *PIC HEAVY*

Options
13»

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd cut for a little bit (small deficit) and bulk later on when you feel ready.

Keep up the lifting, don't listen to whoever said go light to tone, or something like that. Lift heavy for the best results!!! (heavy for you) You need something that's going to challenge you and work your muscles properly! I really hate that myth of light to tone, heavy to bulk etc

I've also seen others recommend stronglifts 5x5. Haven't tried it myself, but seen others success on it, so I'd definitively try it out if you're looking for a good routine :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My recommendation - continue cutting for the same reasons indicated by SideSteel and ChrisDavey . I would also highly recommend a full body workout 3 x a week that comprises compound lifts, such as StrongLifts as has already been suggested. So, in other words, my suggestions are pretty redundant as they have already been made... ..:wink:

No they're not! If more people say it, then it must be the right thing to do. It gives more confirmation.

Ditto everything Sidesteel and ChrisDavey said and Sarah endorsed....

My honest opinion is that you do need to build some muscle. You look like the textbook definition of someone who is what they refer to as skinny-fat. You are at a very good weight for your height on the charts, and probably look smokin hot fully dressed, but under the clothes you can see there isn't much muscle to speak of, and everything looks kind of smooth and "soft" instead of firm and defined. This is caused by a higher body fat percentage.

Don't be surprised if, by the time you are "done" and have some hot muscles, that you may weigh MORE than you do now. I weigh 124 and I am only 5'2", muscle is dense. To get a "ripped" look you'll probably end up a little over 130...
    I look better now at 124 than I did at 108...
    She won't be building anything if she is in a deficit.

She will get noob gains and lose fat at a small deficit (I would do 10-15% instead of 20 if it were me). Once she stops seeing noob gains, it will be time to raise calories to maintenance plus a few hundred extra calories on lifting days.
    That's assuming she just started lifting.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i am almost exactly your same size. i'd say maybe work on strength training and have your calories around 1900 or so. you'll gain muscle and a little fat, but not a lot if you are lifting heavy. i am trying to get to 122 at the lowest and same exact height as you (between 5'4" and 5'5"). my bf is probably around 25% and currently i'm at 129 lb. i think i look fantastic now, started out at 150. But really just want to get rid of a few spots that are covering seeing my abs and on my butt. so i think if i lose just a little more, i'll be there. keep in mind, it may take years with consistent strength training to get the physique you want. i'm not giving up until i get a nice toned body that is not too thin
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I wish I already looked good.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be in better shape, but you need to give yourself a little love. You do look good! Anything else beyond what you have already accomplished is just ribbons and bows on the nicely wrapped present! :flowerforyou:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 121lbs roughly, havent weighed properly in almost 2 weeks. So this is pretty much what I look like.

Here is my opinion:

Get an average estimate on your TDEE and reduce it by ~20% (cut). Eat at this value daily.

Set your intake values to the following:

Protein: 100g
    Fat: 50g
    remainder in carbs

Lift heavy with a full body program done 3 times per week. Cardio should be personal preference, probably 2-4/week either on separate days or post-training.

Check out NROLFW, SS, SL5x5, All pros for examples.

I agree, except I would go with a 10% cut because it doesn't look like you have a whole lot to lose.
  • VelvetAcidVixen
    Options
    I say cut calories moderately, lift a lot more, and do some HIIT cardio.

Set your calories to sedentary 0.5 lb per week loss and eat your exercise calories back. Eat at least your body weight in grams of protein every day.

Weights 4x per week, Squat/Bench/Deadlift is good but you need to add some accessory exercises. Something like this:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

The add the HIIT on there 2-3 times per week, 15-20 minutes per session is all your really need.

Just my $0.02.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My recommendation - continue cutting for the same reasons indicated by SideSteel and ChrisDavey . I would also highly recommend a full body workout 3 x a week that comprises compound lifts, such as StrongLifts as has already been suggested. So, in other words, my suggestions are pretty redundant as they have already been made... ..:wink:

No they're not! If more people say it, then it must be the right thing to do. It gives more confirmation.

My honest opinion is that you do need to build some muscle. You look like the textbook definition of someone who is what they refer to as skinny-fat. You are at a very good weight for your height on the charts, and probably look smokin hot fully dressed, but under the clothes you can see there isn't much muscle to speak of, and everything looks kind of smooth and "soft" instead of firm and defined. This is caused by a higher body fat percentage.

Don't be surprised if, by the time you are "done" and have some hot muscles, that you may weigh MORE than you do now. I weigh 124 and I am only 5'2", muscle is dense. To get a "ripped" look you'll probably end up a little over 130...

She will get noob gains and lose fat at a small deficit (I would do 10-15% instead of 20 if it were me). Once she stops seeing noob gains, it will be time to raise calories to maintenance plus a few hundred extra calories on lifting days.
    The OP has only been lifting for 2 months I believe.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    And just double checking that you know to up the weights by 2.5kg for upper body or 5kg for lower body movements when you reach all of the desired sets and reps ie. 5x5. This is called progressive resistance and is the foundation of any beginners program.

Ok! I will def remember that! Thank u for the tip!
  • shorty35565
    Options

Sometimes I think I'm just fat *sigh* I hate tht feeling. I guess I look decent dressed. I really want muscle! So I'm willing to do what it takes.If I weigh more, that's ok :)
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Thank you! I wish I already looked good.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be in better shape, but you need to give yourself a little love. You do look good! Anything else beyond what you have already accomplished is just ribbons and bows on the nicely wrapped present! :flowerforyou:

Thank u! But I really can't give myself love. I've very unhappy w/ how I've turned out.
  • shorty35565
    Options

The OP has only been lifting for 2 months I believe.

yes, this is only my 9th week.