Taking Phetermine and Exercising

Options
I recentlyt started taking phetermine and got good weightloss success with just walking as a exercie but now since I started working out in the gym I sweat more and I tend to smell like the medicine is coming out in my workouts. What I wanted to know is there anyone else out there who had success with taking the pill and exercising at the gym also. I lost about 12 in 6 days. Which is good enough for me but What type of exercises are you doing and how long do you workout?

Replies

• DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Drop the pill, keep the exercise
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I thought you were told NOT to excercise while on the pill.. ?
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I say this also.. I took it for about a month. Lost good weight but it was not worth it and as soon as I got off it, I gained all the weight I lost plus an extra 10 lbs. Healthy eating and Exercise is the way to go!
  • kaybae88
    Options
    My doctor did recommend atleast 30 minutes of exercise 4 times a day while taking the pill. BUt when I was not on the pill I went from 290 in june to 260 in september then nothing would go past that. and that was just diet and exercise but I do eat about 1200-1600 calories a day and drink alot of water. But I thought the gym would better help with tht eresults
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    12lbs in 6 days... ya thats gonna work..
  • kaybae88
    Options
    I thought you were told NOT to excercise while on the pill.. ?

The doctor recommended atleast 30 minutes of exercise while on it 4 times a week
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just so you know...

Any post involving weight loss alternative (safe or not) other than moderation and excercise will get you tons of hate mail and snide remarks MOSTLY from people who have neither tried nor been informed about your personal goals or requirements, health risks or needs.

just so you know it's not just you...
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As someone already has... you will get flamed for talking about Phentermine on here. Even when it is medically prescribed people have their opinions.

I have lost 41 pounds to date since October 1st. I don't go to a gym, but I do Zumba twice a week, walk 3 days a week (just starting C25K) and do a bike ride on the weekends. I have had no problems with the medicine 'coming out' but I am not much of a sweater either. My doctor did encourage exercise.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Agreed!

The pill will curb your appetite, to be sure, but it won't teach you how to eat proper portions of food. My starting weight was 263, and I have lost 50 of that just by restricting myself to 1800 net calories a day and eating plenty of protein. Most of my exercise has been simply walking, though I have done the Couch to 5k and Level 1 of the Thirty Day Shred. It would be a good idea to wean yourself off the pill and do a good mix of cardio and strength training. Use the food diary here to track your intake, and you will start to learn very quickly about portion control and the nutrients in your food.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

No offence seriously... but I've lost almost that.. sitting on 7 pounds in last 5 days....

You do not need drugs to do that... just a healthy metabolism and a will to eat less than usual... nothing special... If you cannot comprehend that weight loss, then your metabolism might be slowing down in my eyes... I have 1700-1900c a day and usually lose around 1 pound or so a day :/ and before ask... I'm around 130 pounds... so no, I'm not exactly morbidly obese etc where it could be explained away as something else..

I've been having beer + pizza last few nights and still losing... No idea why or what up, but hey, if I'm losing whilst having beer + pizza... I aint going to complain lol
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bad stuff. It is half of "Phen-Fen" which was taken off the market in the 90s. Dangerous to play with weight loss meds. Drop the pill, eat right, and exercise ~ it's that simple, unless you are looking for a quick way to lose weight (you'll gain it right back after you stop the phentermine). You don't want to listen, it's your prerogative (sp)..... but don't go suing your doctor after you have had a heart attack or some other medical complication from taking a medication that has many warnings. I'm a nurse and very well versed in this, as I was also looking for the "quick easy" way for weight loss at one time (never took it however.... too many nasty side effects). Guess what? It's called HARD WORK and DISCIPLINE, and it's not quick. *stepping off soap box*
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I say this also.. I took it for about a month. Lost good weight but it was not worth it and as soon as I got off it, I gained all the weight I lost plus an extra 10 lbs. Healthy eating and Exercise is the way to go!

I agree healthy eating and exercise is the way to go. But if you can consider phentermine a crutch (helping to stave off hunger until your body gets used to normal portions) and NOT a magic pill that makes you lose weight. Then, I think phentermine, when prescribed by your doctor can be a suitable avenue for those who are morbidly obese. One must consider which one is doing more damage?
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you going to take the pill forever? Don't you think that it will just come back on when you stop taking the pill?

IME losing the weight is only about 25% of the job. Keeping it off is the hard part.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    this is good there have not been any threads about Phetermine today
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

No offence seriously... but I've lost almost that.. sitting on 7 pounds in last 5 days....

You do not need drugs to do that... just a healthy metabolism and a will to eat less than usual... nothing special... If you cannot comprehend that weight loss, then your metabolism might be slowing down in my eyes... I have 1700-1900c a day and usually lose around 1 pound or so a day :/ and before ask... I'm around 130 pounds... so no, I'm not exactly morbidly obese etc where it could be explained away as something else..

I've been having beer + pizza last few nights and still losing... No idea why or what up, but hey, if I'm losing whilst having beer + pizza... I aint going to complain lol

You do realize that rapid weight loss can be a sign of several illnesses? Because we all know, it's not 1 lb of fat per day you are losing. But if it's persistent for more than a few weeks, you might want to get checked out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just so you know...

Any post involving weight loss alternative (safe or not) other than moderation and excercise will get you tons of hate mail and snide remarks MOSTLY from people who have neither tried nor been informed about your personal goals or requirements, health risks or needs.

They get a lot of hate because NONE of them are proven to work over and above of exercise and diet. Some might have caffeine to provide more energy or some might suppress appetite but the pill alone will not provide any more weight loss over diet and exercise.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You do realize that rapid weight loss can be a sign of several illnesses? Because we all know, it's not 1 lb of fat per day you are losing. But if it's persistent for more than a few weeks, you might want to get checked out.

Really? The only one I am aware of is hyperthyroidism, which isn't all too bad from what I've read.. What else could it be? I am actually interested... Would be nice to know what is happening to be honest :/
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I took this drug twice. I had excellent results the first time, lost 50lbs... and I did not really work out, maybe a few walks.. but yes when I would "smell" different. Weird side effect. The real reason I lost weight on it is because it made me not hungry, it is a great appetite suppressant, but FDA regulations allow for only 3-6 months to be on it at the most, and your BMI has to be like 30 or above to be prescribed it... so once you are off of it... be careful, weight gain will come back fast if you dont have a decent routine, such as eating healthy and regular work outs.

Just work out like normal, on or off the drug.

This drug can also cause severe high blood pressure, and lung issues... I did not do research on it until after I had taken it.

Be careful with this drug.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just so you know...

They get a lot of hate because NONE of them are proven to work over and above of exercise and diet. Some might have caffeine to provide more energy or some might suppress appetite but the pill alone will not provide any more weight loss over diet and exercise.

:laugh: lol ...Should have followed my own advice... hate tends to spill over...:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.