Do everyone a favor.....

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,973 Member
    Options
    I hope no one relies on these types of data bases to provide them with reliable info..........probably a good reason for the I'm not losing weight threads.
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    To me MFP should link direct to the same company that these nutrition panels on food boxes get theirs so when we enter in something it should be per the box label and people cant just put in their own versions of said items. So if I were to add 2 servings of Cheerios then poof it gives me the exact info for 2 servings of that per the label.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm....Ribeye :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I hope no one relies on these types of data bases to provide them with reliable info..........probably a good reason for the I'm not losing weight threads.

Uh! Uh! I don't even know what to say. Uh! Where else do you get the info efficiently?
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read past "32oz ribeye".............. mmmmmm...........
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would be happy if people just stopped putting really, really wrong entries in the database.

As for the examples you gave, most whole foods have an "official" mfp entry that includes usually multiple input options "1 medium potato" and "100 g" I would start looking for those. They have all the information included (including potassium) and should solve your measurement issue for a lot of foods.

ETA: the official entries don't have an asterisk pretending them.
  • voncreepy
    Options
    Glad I got everyone hyped about having Ribeye...lol Now we all know what's for dinner tonight! Yea...to get a 32oz Ribeye, you have to kill it yourself...hopefully you have neighbors with a boat load of cows they won't miss.

Bottom line up front; whether you have a scale or not, the correct entry needs to be made. People, from different walks of life, educational backgrounds, etc., will rely on the correect entry to assist them in attaining their goals.

As for me, NO I am not "lazy" my dear...not in the least bit. However I do go through and "correct" other entry's quite often as well as create my own. I do use a scale. When an item comes up as 100g and I have 65g I just divide the weight of my portion by the weight given in MHP database to get my correct portion added to the entry (e.g., 0.65 in this case) and it changes the caloric content. Same goes for when it's in ounces...I just do some simple math and change it to grams or ounces vice-versa (28.35g = 1 oz).

Unfortunately, people are selfish by nature and will only add for themselves. If that's the case, then do not share it with others. An incorrect database does no one any good. It may infact screw them up. As for the really, really wrong entry's...I just think there are some dumbasses out there that can't help themselves!!!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree. Buy a kitchen scale
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I actually think a great MFP improvement would be making it so we can see the nutrition info BEFORE we click "add to diary". Maybe I'll suggest it.....
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    so don't use their effing entry, create your own. i never put grams cause a) i don't have a scale and b) i'm not good with numbers, i just know what the eff i am eating and how much, and how many calories. don't be so lazy and create your own entries.

This is exactly the problem. Everyone creating their own entries and they don't really give a *kitten* or consideration at all that when others search for that, it will come up, and if you're in a hurry, you might us it without realizing its way off. Maybe, try to have a little respect for others and enter accurate information since its a public database.

So then create your own entry and don't share it with other MFP members. Problem solved.

Yeah, except the op is ranting because so many people don't keep their personal entries off the database. So back to square one.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Glad I got everyone hyped about having Ribeye...lol Now we all know what's for dinner tonight! Yea...to get a 32oz Ribeye, you have to kill it yourself...hopefully you have neighbors with a boat load of cows they won't miss.

Bottom line up front; whether you have a scale or not, the correct entry needs to be made. People, from different walks of life, educational backgrounds, etc., will rely on the correect entry to assist them in attaining their goals.

As for me, NO I am not "lazy" my dear...not in the least bit. However I do go through and "correct" other entry's quite often as well as create my own. I do use a scale. When an item comes up as 100g and I have 65g I just divide the weight of my portion by the weight given in MHP database to get my correct portion added to the entry (e.g., 0.65 in this case) and it changes the caloric content. Same goes for when it's in ounces...I just do some simple math and change it to grams or ounces vice-versa (28.35g = 1 oz).

Unfortunately, people are selfish by nature and will only add for themselves. If that's the case, then do not share it with others. An incorrect database does no one any good. It may infact screw them up. As for the really, really wrong entry's...I just think there are some dumbasses out there that can't help themselves!!!

Yep ... here in TX, thinking about going to the local butcher for that ribeye ... but I digress. You have an excellent point. It only takes a minute to add the correct numbers to the database ... I can't see why people have to be so damned lazy (not talking about you) and selfish as to put incorrect info out there for others. Get it right OR don't share it. Real simple. Of course if it says one cookie, one chicken breast, one steak ... without weights, brands, etc., it's not the entry you want to use, so move on. Well, everyone have a nice day ... I am off to nab me a cow.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If a 32 oz Ribeye is only 200 calories I might start eating meat again!:laugh:
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    so don't use their effing entry, create your own. i never put grams cause a) i don't have a scale and b) i'm not good with numbers, i just know what the eff i am eating and how much, and how many calories. don't be so lazy and create your own entries.

This is exactly the problem. Everyone creating their own entries and they don't really give a *kitten* or consideration at all that when others search for that, it will come up, and if you're in a hurry, you might us it without realizing its way off. Maybe, try to have a little respect for others and enter accurate information since its a public database.

So then create your own entry and don't share it with other MFP members. Problem solved.

This is how I handle it. Nobody complains about MY entries, they never see 'em.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I want a MPF food scale.
    It has a wireless connection to upload to mfp directly and a keypad to enter in what you are weighing.

That would be awesome!!! Are you listening, MFP moderators? :bigsmile:

The real way to get their attention is to start cursing or putting sexual stuff on the message boards. Just put "penis" as every other word, and it's almost guaranteed that they'll see it.
  • madworld1
    Options
    When I add foods I don't check the "Yes, let other MFP members use" box. The only time I have ever clicked the "yes" box is when I get my information directly from the package.

If I don't find what I am looking for or if everything I do find seems inaccurate, then I create my own entry. It's not that hard.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I actually think a great MFP improvement would be making it so we can see the nutrition info BEFORE we click "add to diary". Maybe I'll suggest it.....

I agree!! I've had to correct so many of my entries because of all the crazy numbers being thrown out there. Now I do my own but I don't add to the database.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I was part of another community-based food database before this one, and you could see on the entries WHO entered it and kept a change log of who edited it and what they edited (Like 12-07-12 Morebean13 updated fat grams from 0 to 11 million' Comments: I tasted 11 million grams of fat in this cookie) . I know it's not going to happen here, but I liked that. I have some choice PMs ready.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

I agree!! I've had to correct so many of my entries because of all the crazy numbers being thrown out there. Now I do my own but I don't add to the database.

You can view the info before you add it, and confirm or change it.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The reason for "one serving" is because if you use the recipie builder, it asks how many the recipie serves. You say 8, then, when you log it, you say how many servings you had. I know it seems lame, but that's just how it works. I'm just saying I discovered that because it happened to me when I entered a recipie.

Yea, I hate that about the recipe builder. I've gotten to where I have to put the serving size in the title. Not ideal, but at least I know how big a "serving" is.
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I completely agree with this. Also, I hate when people add a new item when it's the exact same thing as one listed 6 other times. Find the accurate one and use that. Also, I hate when the serving size says "one container." WTF is one container?? At least tell me what the size of the container is. One container could be anything!