Do everyone a favor.....

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I actually think a great MFP improvement would be making it so we can see the nutrition info BEFORE we click "add to diary". Maybe I'll suggest it.....

I agree!! I've had to correct so many of my entries because of all the crazy numbers being thrown out there. Now I do my own but I don't add to the database.

You can view the info before you add it, and confirm or change it.

Exactly!

If it is just a random food from the database you want to check before adding to your Diary, find the food and click it. When the blue box appears, click the "nutritional info" link in the box right under the name of the food, and you'll be taken to a white box with the food info. It asks whether the facts are correct. If you click the "No" button, you will get the option to Edit. If you edit it, it will now be in your "My Foods" for easy access the next time.

Otherwise, good luck changing the human race. I'm just amazed so many people know how to add and multiply...or use a computer, for that matter.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    I don't count calories anymore but when I did my food diary was for me so I really didn't care what other people thought about it. Worry about yourself. I really don't think anyone owes you a favor.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Here we go…*****ing rant, valid protest, whining…whatever you want to call it, I think it needs to be addressed nonetheless.

This site relies on the users to input the nutritional data for the items they’re using. It’s a helpful tool in the weight loss and dieting process. So when you input your data…don’t just put “1 potato” or “1 steak” when it asks for the serving size. Rather, (when it’s listed) put what the label or other nutritional data in weight as well. For example 1 Potato (143g) or 1 Steak (4.5 oz).

Most ALL labels will have the weight addressed in their serving size in addition to other data like “1 cookie” based on the nutritional data test results for the ingredients or otherwise. Why do I piss and moan…because…it drives me absolutely nuts when I see someone put “1 Potato” or 1 Steak”…not all potato’s or steaks are created equal…they differ. Your skimpy 2 oz “1 steak” may not be the same as my 32 oz Juicy Rib Eye. Even thought I would love to log it as 200 calories, we all know it’s more like 1400…So knowing the weight helps to maintain an accurate and well calculated diary.

Done with the whining.
    :sad: :explode:

the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I wish this database http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list had an app, and furthermore an app that linked through mfp, so I could search just those entries. Sometimes searching through is frustrating.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The reason for "one serving" is because if you use the recipie builder, it asks how many the recipie serves. You say 8, then, when you log it, you say how many servings you had. I know it seems lame, but that's just how it works. I'm just saying I discovered that because it happened to me when I entered a recipie.

Yea, I hate that about the recipe builder. I've gotten to where I have to put the serving size in the title. Not ideal, but at least I know how big a "serving" is.

I came up with a workaround for this- if you weigh your final product before you enter it in the database- for example if I make egg salad, mix it all up, and weigh that it totals 568 grams, then I'll enter the recipe as "568 servings" and from then on you can use gram measurements to portion whatever you made and log it correctly. Obviously it helps if it's relatively homogenous like egg salad, but you get the idea. HTH!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The reason for "one serving" is because if you use the recipie builder, it asks how many the recipie serves. You say 8, then, when you log it, you say how many servings you had. I know it seems lame, but that's just how it works. I'm just saying I discovered that because it happened to me when I entered a recipie.

Yea, I hate that about the recipe builder. I've gotten to where I have to put the serving size in the title. Not ideal, but at least I know how big a "serving" is.

That's what I do too. It would be near impossible to weigh out an entire pot of soup but I scoop it by cupfuls into whatever storage container I'm going to use so that I have a total amount (say, 12 cups) to divide it out by. It's worked well for me so far.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

That's what I do too. It would be near impossible to weigh out an entire pot of soup but I scoop it by cupfuls into whatever storage container I'm going to use so that I have a total amount (say, 12 cups) to divide it out by. It's worked well for me so far.

It's really not impossible- weigh the pot before you start cooking, and then weigh the whole thing afterwards and subtract off the weight of the pot. Sometimes I'll tare the scale with an upside-down bowl on top and set the full, hot pot on the bowl because I think the direct heat can sometimes mess with the scale. My scale goes up to 11lbs accurately- so that's a little more than a gallon of soup. There are heavier-duty kitchen scales than that, but I can see it being a pain if you're making a TON of soup at a time.
  • erinsueburns
    Options
    Actually, you know what would be really nice. The ability to do advanced search on here, and be able to select only official entries. And/or the asterisks in the app so you know which are which.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I simply don't trust the MFP database. It's incomplete for me anyway as I track potassium and it's rarely entered.
    I make all my own entries or double check to see if one is complete, or edit the existing one if it is the same as my label but incomplete. I treat it like wikipedia.
    I never share recipes because I doubt anyone would eat the low sodium crap I'm making, and it's too time consuming the way it's set up here to share a recipe.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Actually, you know what would be really nice. The ability to do advanced search on here, and be able to select only official entries. And/or the asterisks in the app so you know which are which.

Agreed, totally. Sometimes it's a real PITA to find them. If you start a website suggestions thread about it, I'll second it.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When I add foods I don't check the "Yes, let other MFP members use" box. The only time I have ever clicked the "yes" box is when I get my information directly from the package.

Same here. I go one step further and put "From Website" or "From Package" so people know where I got the nutritional info.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Agreed, totally. Sometimes it's a real PITA to find them. If you start a website suggestions thread about it, I'll second it.

Me too!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    How about "don't add your personal entries to the database??" Don't check the "yes" box when it asks you to share your entry with other members. That one small thing would eliminate SOOOO much BS!!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options

Me too!

I posted about this exact same issue yesterday. I'll find the link to my post.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The solution to this in my opinion is using the bar code scanner when you're entering your foods. I KNOW not everyone has a smart phone but for those that DO...this would eliminate a lot of problems.

Unfortunately, if the item you're scanning doesn't have an exact match it'll just show you something similar which doesn't necessarily have the same nutritional info. It seems a lot of the time whatever I'm looking for is actually in the database but just doesn't come up when I scan. I'd still double check things you're scanning for the first time!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options

Me too!

I posted about this exact same issue yesterday. I'll find the link to my post.

Here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815419-food-database
  • erinsueburns
    Options

Just started one. I was making it when you posted:)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815820-search-options-advanced
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well written....
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    so don't use their effing entry, create your own. i never put grams cause a) i don't have a scale and b) i'm not good with numbers, i just know what the eff i am eating and how much, and how many calories. don't be so lazy and create your own entries.

This is exactly the problem. Everyone creating their own entries and they don't really give a *kitten* or consideration at all that when others search for that, it will come up, and if you're in a hurry, you might us it without realizing its way off. Maybe, try to have a little respect for others and enter accurate information since its a public database.

So then create your own entry and don't share it with other MFP members. Problem solved.

Isn't telling the person who DOES input things correctly to NOT share their entry more of a problem exasperated than a problem solved? :laugh:

Doesn't it make more sense to urge others to either be more accurate or not click the "share" checkbox, rather than telling those who want to make the database more accurate to keep it to themselves???

You are right, that does exacerbate the problem! It would make more sense to tell people who are doing a half-@ssed entry not to make it publicly shared. No wonder we are all so exasperated! When I choose an item from the database I look for the most detailed description and if several look similar I go with one that says 11 confirmations, etc. Sometimes I can tell in the wording that they are going straight off the box. Other times not so much.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I simply don't trust the MFP database. It's incomplete for me anyway as I track potassium and it's rarely entered.
    I make all my own entries or double check to see if one is complete, or edit the existing one if it is the same as my label but incomplete. I treat it like wikipedia.
    I never share recipes because I doubt anyone would eat the low sodium crap I'm making, and it's too time consuming the way it's set up here to share a recipe.

Me too. so many entries just ignore the potassium. It would be great if "someone" could edit the database from time to time and remove duplicate entries too. I am more a whole food person so I look for the official entries without the asterisk...or ones with lots of confirmations.... Still I have to check for potassium before leaving it in my diary. It gets frustrating sometimes.