Does "fruit sugar" count towards your daily sugar intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Strong first post in a 3 year old thread.

Thread started in 2012, 5 years old! It's quite impressive that when searching for something to bump, this is what came up, amidst all the other sugar threads since!

10,500 sugar threads by my count
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    kirbsters wrote: »
    Sugar is not sugar! Although the apple and cookie are both vehicles for fructose, there are some important differences. First, the sugar in fruit is mixed together with fiber, a buffer that limits the amount of sugar that is absorbed. Junk food, on the other hand, is generally devoid of fiber, allowing the sugar unfettered access to the bloodstream. Take your sugar allotment column and subtract anything that is from whole, unprocessed foods.

I agree.
    I know people say that your body can't tell the difference between sugars, but I don't think so, I think processed sugar does something that natrual sugar doesn't do.
    Of course this is just anecdotal

It's not even anecdotal unless you did something to hold other inputs equal.

Claiming it's harder not to overeat cookies vs. apples, for you, doesn't say anything about sucrose vs. the mix of sugars in an apple, given the many other differences between a cookie and apple that are probably much more significant (given that in both cases the sugar is broken down easily to fructose and glucose).
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sugar is not sugar! Although the apple and cookie are both vehicles for fructose, there are some important differences. First, the sugar in fruit is mixed together with fiber, a buffer that limits the amount of sugar that is absorbed. Junk food, on the other hand, is generally devoid of fiber, allowing the sugar unfettered access to the bloodstream. Take your sugar allotment column and subtract anything that is from whole, unprocessed foods.

I agree.
    I know people say that your body can't tell the difference between sugars, but I don't think so, I think processed sugar does something that natrual sugar doesn't do.

thankfully, science does not go by "thinking" it goes by facts...

LMAO. Quote of the century.
    This actually sounds like you agree with me too
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    mmipanda wrote: »
    So to everyone saying we should not eat white sugar. I ask why not?

I track my calories and macros. Target my carbs, which sugar is and eat at a deficit. Are you saying adding sugar to my coffee is harming me? It's detrimental to achieving my goals?
    nobody is saying you shouldn't. Eat whatever works for you. I choose to avoid refined/processed sugar, and food with that sort of thing added to it. I don't have to worry about tracking calories or macros & eat as much as I want, still losing weight.

But if you happen to eat a surplus number of calories, you will gain weight regardless if it is unrefined or not processed.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    eklavon84 wrote: »
    YES, Sugar is sugar yes, but the fruit sugar is not as bad as table sugar, I use my own math...I cut the fruit sugar in 1/2 mentally to know where my body is; I am a diet controlled diabetic, and this is what works for me and my body. Remember sugar turns into carbs and carbs like to store as fat in the body.

It is not bad or good. Sugar is the same regardless of where it comes from. Your body doesn't know if it came from a strawberry or a bowl on your table. It just processes it like it always does.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I agree.

thankfully, science does not go by "thinking" it goes by facts...

LMAO. Quote of the century.
    This actually sounds like you agree with me too

Maybe you should re-read it