Jillian Michaels or Chalene Johnson to lose my fat for Cuba?

Options
Hi everybody! I need your help!
I'm going to Cuba in 5 weeks and I would like to kick my fat lost in high gear ;)!
Right now, I'm doing Turbo Jam 5 times a week and I got great results, but I saw "Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" online and I wonder if this one is better to burn fat. I heard it's about 40mins long and very hard.
I wonder also if I should start with 30 day shred or go right onto BFBM, since I'm already used to jump around for about 40mins 5 times a week...
Any advice?

Replies

• deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm also contemplating on getting this dvd.

I already have a good range of TJ dvds and I lost a good amount of weight from it already last year and I have the 30DS dvd which is a killer! I'm still on level 1.

I might just get this dvd to help with the variety and new moves to spice up the workout... I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on the BFBM dvd tho...
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love BFBM! It's definatly a tough workout. You could incorporate it into Turbo Jam. I did Turbo Jam exercises for about a week.. but I'm really not that familiar with the program. It might just get a bit boring doing BFBM 5-6 days a week. I use P90X and I'll substitute BFBM for a cardio workout every now and then.

It's a great cardio workout, it also incorporates some ab moves in there. You'll burn lots of calories and sweat tons. I'd definately recommend it!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have Banish the Fat and 30 Day Shred. I like the 30 Day Shred much better. It is shorter and effective.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I already have a good range of TJ dvds and I lost a good amount of weight from it already last year and I have the 30DS dvd which is a killer! I'm still on level 1.

I might just get this dvd to help with the variety and new moves to spice up the workout... I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on the BFBM dvd tho...
    Do you feel 30 day shred is as effective as TJ, even though it is shorter?
  • fozzy33
    Options
    Id recommend anything JM....Im nearing the 50lb loss mark and Ive done her dvd's, biggest loser game and have incorporated circuit rountines from her books. It works....
  • deedun
    Options

Yes the 30 day shred is more effective for me - I can see my thighs and my arms toning up from just two weeks of that dvd.

Dont get me wrong, I love TJ for its music and for the workout - you will get a greater calorie burn for all the TJ workouts and an all over fat bur compared to the 30DS but you get better toning with 30DS.

I hope you can understand me! :noway:
  • Raphi
    Options

Yes the 30 day shred is more effective for me - I can see my thighs and my arms toning up from just two weeks of that dvd.

Dont get me wrong, I love TJ for its music and for the workout - you will get a greater calorie burn for all the TJ workouts and an all over fat bur compared to the 30DS but you get better toning with 30DS.

Eerrr... not sure! Do you mean you burn more calories on TJ, but you get less flabby with 30ds?
    How about the weight loss (inches)? Do you find you lost more inches with TJ or 30ds?
    It is true that I lost a few pounds, but my skin (where the fat used to be) is not toned...I'll try it and see.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Raphi do you just do the cardio workout, or do you do the complete Turbo Jam schedule ?

If you include Turbo Sculpt and Ab Jam 2-3 times a week, you get a pretty good toning.

I got a 6 pack doing Turbo Jam and went from 32% body fat down to about 22% in 100 days without even counting calories. But it took 100 days to see results. I took pictures every 2 weeks and stopped around day 50... because I couldn't see much difference and that was annoying me. But by 90-100 days, I was all toned !

I'm sure Jiilian's DVDs are good but I think you have to be patient and set realistic expectations regarding results, especially since you don't have much to lose.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am only familiar with the 30 day shred, but in 15 days of doing this (10 days level 1, 5 days level 2) I have lost 4.5 inches off my stomach (measuring 1 inch above belly button) and 2 inches off biggest part of my thigh and 2 inches biggest part of my hips/lower belly. I have lost 6.4 pounds BUT gained way more muscle and definition in 2 weeks of this program than anything else I've ever done.
  • deedun
    Options

Eerrr... not sure! Do you mean you burn more calories on TJ, but you get less flabby with 30ds?
    How about the weight loss (inches)? Do you find you lost more inches with TJ or 30ds?
    It is true that I lost a few pounds, but my skin (where the fat used to be) is not toned...I'll try it and see.

Sorry for my confusing explanation.

30DS is great for toning. You will see a huge difference in a short amount of time - which is what the dvd was made for. Jillian focuses more on weights and interval training which is great.

With TJ you will get similar results but it will take a good bit longer.

I love the 2 workouts (so I am a bit conflicted) but if you need to lose quickly and tone quicly then I think 30DS is better.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I love 30DS. When I went from level 1 to level 2 I lost 5 lbs AND 5 inches from my waist in two weeks. I like the BFBM but I've been spoiled by the 20 minutes and BFBM kicks my butt big time; 20 minutes in I'm ready to quite even though I don't.
    I just did 30DS level one with my HRM (just got it the other day :bigsmile: ) and was thinking of doing BFBM tomorrow just to see the calories burned. If I end up doing that I will post the difference.
    I will tell you that my saddle bags are almost gone and I have amazing definition in my arms from doing 30DS and I just recently got to level 3 after doing this since November (I was a walker before starting 30DS) and I think level 2 is the hardest in many ways.
    Someone said something about 30DS vs BFBM and BFBM is all the cardio in all 3 levels of 30DS and then some. She adds some kick boxing which I love. Does she have a kick boxing workout DVD out?
    Have fun in Cuba!!!
    PS. I know nothing about any other work out DVD program out there, Jillian was the first I tried.
  • Raphi
    Options
    Thanks ladies :flowerforyou:
    Your input is very helpful! I'll start 30ds tomorrow morning! I want quick results :bigsmile:
    I just remembered that the first time I lost weight (between baby one and two) was with a similar workout from Beachbody featuring Tony Horton (from P90X) that is named "Power half hour" Its 30 minutes of intervals focusing on a different body part each day. I remember that I gained some speed on my "getting in shape" project with that one. The only down aspect of those workouts is that they get boring after a while, but hey... THEY WORK!!
    I'll keep you posted :happy:
    I must say that 20 mins sounds AWESOME compared to 40-50 mins with TJ...
  • Raphi
    Options
    HOLY MOLLY!!
    Just did my first day of shred :noway: ! This is the hardest - although one of the shortest- workout I have ever done!!!
    I'm sure if I stick with this, I'm good to go in my bikinis on Cuba beach :bigsmile:
    Thanks a lot for your help ladies :flowerforyou:
  • deedun
    Options
    Raphi, how are you today with the 30DS? I am on a rest day and its agony whenever I am about to sit down!
  • Raphi
    Options
    Deedun: I did my workout this morning (day2) and I feel great!... But, I was in agony during the workout!! In fact, I found it harder today than yesterday. It is well designed though; just when you think you won't be able to finish the weight set, you switch to cardio and feel relieved. And then, just when you think you're gonna die, you switch to resistance again and feel relieved :laugh: ! Also, I never thought I'd look at ab work as a form of "break" ;0) This morning, my chest muscles were sore because I'm not used to do push ups, but I think all the kicking and squatting from TJ helped me to be able to sit down today :wink:
    Also, you were so right when you said it was more efficient! It's only been 2 days and I don't know if its only in my head, but I feel stronger and thinner already... !
    I hope you feel better tomorrow, and keep me posted :flowerforyou:
  • Raphi
    Options
    Raphi do you just do the cardio workout, or do you do the complete Turbo Jam schedule ?

If you include Turbo Sculpt and Ab Jam 2-3 times a week, you get a pretty good toning.

I got a 6 pack doing Turbo Jam and went from 32% body fat down to about 22% in 100 days without even counting calories. But it took 100 days to see results. I took pictures every 2 weeks and stopped around day 50... because I couldn't see much difference and that was annoying me. But by 90-100 days, I was all toned !

I'm sure Jiilian's DVDs are good but I think you have to be patient and set realistic expectations regarding results, especially since you don't have much to lose.
    Hey, Geicko! I didn't see your post! (Je viens juste de le lire)
    Wow, 6 pack! You Go Girl!!
    You are right about everything... I just want an extra "oomph" before Cuba :smokin: ! I usually get bored very fast, so I know I won't be doing 30 day shred for more than, well, 30 days! Then, I think I'll have enough of Jillian's attitude, haha! I usually switch workouts relatively often, and then I'm usually back to "mes premières amours" Turbo Jam (Chalene is a great inspiration for me). And I do the toning workouts along with the cardios. I must admit I'm a bit of a DVD workout junkie :blushing: , so I'm not throwing anything away, cause I know I'll be back to it.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I hear you... My own DVD collection is growing fast :laugh:

I'm sticking with Beach Body products though, but probably just because there are so many DVDs to chose from out there, it's easier to pick from a single source. My latest is Brazil Butt Lift - love it ! I keep meeting with Charlene every other day though, just because I miss her energy and fun music.

Keep up the good work - beach time ahead !!!
  • deedun
    Options
    Deedun: I did my workout this morning (day2) and I feel great!... But, I was in agony during the workout!! In fact, I found it harder today than yesterday. It is well designed though; just when you think you won't be able to finish the weight set, you switch to cardio and feel relieved. And then, just when you think you're gonna die, you switch to resistance again and feel relieved :laugh: ! Also, I never thought I'd look at ab work as a form of "break" ;0) This morning, my chest muscles were sore because I'm not used to do push ups, but I think all the kicking and squatting from TJ helped me to be able to sit down today :wink:
    Also, you were so right when you said it was more efficient! It's only been 2 days and I don't know if its only in my head, but I feel stronger and thinner already... !
    I hope you feel better tomorrow, and keep me posted :flowerforyou:

That's great you're feeling the results! TJ is my true workout dvd love! :tongue: but 30DS really works your body!! I dunno how long I can keep watching Jillian though, she is getting a bit annoying lately :laugh:

I
  • Raphi
    Options
    I used heavier weights yesterday and my biceps are a bit sore today and my hamstrings too :happy: ! It works...
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Wait until you go to level 2. There is a HUGE jump from level 1 to level 2, but that's when I started seeing real results. I love that DVD. I also don't find Jillian that annoying or anything, I kind of like her. I need to try the other one you are talking about. I just got into DVD's so I tend to stick with the Jillian stuff. Her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD is a KILLER cardio one. At 196 I burned almost 600 cals doing that 40 min DVD.