What do you think about men fake n bakin

Options

Replies

• RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can encourage him to take up smoking, too?

Tanning is carcinogenic. Tanning beds are no safer than tanning outdoors. It seems to me as though he is the sensible one here.

:noway:
  • KiraBaby20
    Options

Tanning is carcinogenic. Tanning beds are no safer than tanning outdoors. It seems to me as though he is the sensible one here.

Ok...so I would never try to get someone to smoke. They are completely different. Tanning beds are not as bad as people think they are. If you have your own private bed at home and are tanning all day long, then yes they are very dangerous. Now, if you tan say once a week for no longer then 12 min in uvb and 15 in uva bed, they are not as harmful. If you use tanning lotions and eye protection, they are even less! The lotion helps stop free radicals. The problem is that people just go with what others say without doing their own research.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    If I were to go, I need to call it burning instead :tongue:
  • RobynC79
    Options

Ok...so I would never try to get someone to smoke. They are completely different. Tanning beds are not as bad as people think they are. If you have your own private bed at home and are tanning all day long, then yes they are very dangerous. Now, if you tan say once a week for no longer then 12 min in uvb and 15 in uva bed, they are not as harmful. If you use tanning lotions and eye protection, they are even less! The lotion helps stop free radicals. The problem is that people just go with what others say without doing their own research.

mmmhmmm.... And how much of your 'own research' have you done? Apart from promotional materials provided by the manufacturers of tannning beds, which is hardly impartial. Because in a 5-minute Pubmed search I turn up 54 actual scientific studies showing that tanning beds represent a measurable risk factor for later diagnosis of BCC, SCC and melanoma. Of course risk is dose-dependent, but I'm curious to know how many people actually adhere to '12 minutes once per week'.

Perhaps you can also explain the science behind '..tanning lotion...helps stop free radicals'.

I am strongly of the opinion that the promotion of tanning beds as 'safe' and/or 'safer than sun exposure' is irresponsible, and contradicted by current scientific knowledge.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I thought the tanning fad ended years ago....

...I have been out of the states for too long :laugh:

(Here everything from lotions to makeup is labeled "whitening" and has some kind of skin bleaching stuff in it.)

If the guy wants to tan then whatever floats his boat.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Obviously I do not have a preference as long as its not my skin.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Did someone say "bacon"? :huh:
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Plus, there's something so cute about when a guy has a nice (natural) tan on his legs and chest/back and then a really white butt.

BINGO.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Not a fan - on anyone!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No thanks. That goes for girls too. I'm not a fan of the tan.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

What a miserable way to live your life...

I also drive fast cars, spend hours on the beach, drink alcohol, take dozens of dubious supplements, engage in reckless adrenaline junkie activities. And I woulsnt have it any other way.
  • XjXannX
    XjXannX Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    as long as they aren't orange, or overly brown. super white looks disgusting in my opinion
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options

:noway: :huh:

honey, please go to google scholar and just do a quick search on the affects of tanning beds. THAT is what others are saying. While you are at it, go ahead and search the scholarly articles on Vitamin D from tanning beds. There is so little evidence of vD that it is suggested even more studies need to be conducted just to find something substantial. If you are depressed, you need real sunshine or more help than a tanning bed can give you.

That being said, I don't care who roasts their buns. It's not for me or anyone I associate with.
  • KiraBaby20
    Options

mmmhmmm.... And how much of your 'own research' have you done? Apart from promotional materials provided by the manufacturers of tannning beds, which is hardly impartial. Because in a 5-minute Pubmed search I turn up 54 actual scientific studies showing that tanning beds represent a measurable risk factor for later diagnosis of BCC, SCC and melanoma. Of course risk is dose-dependent, but I'm curious to know how many people actually adhere to '12 minutes once per week'.

Perhaps you can also explain the science behind '..tanning lotion...helps stop free radicals'.

I am strongly of the opinion that the promotion of tanning beds as 'safe' and/or 'safer than sun exposure' is irresponsible, and contradicted by current scientific knowledge.

I was never provided with material. I went to the local hospital and got my own info. I have also done a lot of online research of my own too. Many therapists and dermatologists recommend it once a week. We have a lot of people that do not over expose and only tan once or twice a week. We do have a lot of people preparing for vacation so they are not miserable. We do have people that tan everyday, but they do not over expose(burn). When you over expose, this starts the stages of melanomas. Tanning lotions, good ones at least, are silicon based and are dripping with antioxidants. these motorize the skin and help protect your skin form becoming dehydrated. By all means, they are not "safe", but neither is alcohol, fat, or even breathing. You would have to be in a plastic bubble to be "safe". But even that is not safe because of the chemicals used to make plastic.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think that if its okay for woman, then its okay for men... not a fan of the spray tan thou on anyone...reminds me of the ompa'loopmas in Chocolate Factory... ORANGE
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Men have just as much of a right to look like an old leather jacket as women.
  • RobynC79
    Options

What a miserable way to live your life...

I also drive fast cars, spend hours on the beach, drink alcohol, take dozens of dubious supplements, engage in reckless adrenaline junkie activities. And I woulsnt have it any other way.

Good for you - everyone has the right to choose for themselves to engage in whatever risky behaviours they choose. However, I assume you are aware that these behaviours involve risk. My objection here is that the OP is suggesting to her BF, who is reluctant, that he engage in behaviour she is characterising as safe (and even beneficial), when the evidence in fact shows that it is the opposite.

We all here happily and eagerly 'educate' newbies who post on the boards about trying out the latest fad diet, I see no difference here - this is promotion of something as safe that is known not to be. If you posted about how you achieved awesome health improvements from those 'dubious supplements' I imagine you'd get some criticism, too.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    This is why I decided to be born black.

You and me both!
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    I really do not want drama on this ppl! I just wanted opinions. My boyfriend does not tan because of what it may or my not do to him, but because it's "not manly". Nothing to do with risk behavior.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I live on the beach, so it isn't an issue for most of the men I know. But honestly, I'm big into natural color, no matter what that color happens to be. People who turn golden in the sun can be pretty hot. People who turn from a pale peach to a raisin, not so much. I see a lot of raisins.

I might single handedly support Coppertone by my use of sunscreens, though. I'm as pale as a vanilla birthday cake. Even though I am on the beach every single day. Cancer kinda sucks.