ANIMAL protein vs VEGETEBALE protein

124»

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    All I can say is I use to be a vegetarian and well I am Anemic now, So my doctor has prescribed me to eat 50/50 on animal and vegetable protein...so it obviously healthy in some ways. Not that I care for meat things too much. But my opinion is its healthier to have a mix up then to be missing one from your diet.
    You became anemic because you weren't eating enough iron, not because you were a vegetarian/vegan.

We are not cavemen we live in the 2000s. We are also omnivours and so we have the ability to get all of our dietary needs met through a plant based diet. Whether you choose to eat meat or not, getting the nutrients is entirely dependent on you. Don't blame a way of eating when the blame lies in a failure to procur the foods you need. There are plenty of resources for people going veg. so there really is no excuse (you choose not to do the work to stay veg. so don't blame the diet --own that). Any deficits are the responsibility of the person not the diet itself. There are many plant-based sources of protein, iron, and Bs. OP whether you choose to go veg. or not be mindful about what you eat and you will be doing better than most.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Animal protein s'ok. In reality, it's not necessary. Hence I only eat seafood, chicken and turkey.

Vegetable protein rocks my socks... much healthier for you and full of great nutrition. When you have vegetables, you don't only get the protein, you also get a lot of rich vitamines along with it.

Soy, in moderation for women is great for you, but don't over do it. Fermented soy is not very good for women.

I think you have that backwards.

I meant FORTIFIED!

damnit - I thought of it AFTER the gym.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Animal protein contains amino acids not found in plant based proteins Also the aforementioned serotin =)

Which amino acids can you not find in plant based proteins?

It is true that you can get all of your essential amino acids through plant sources, however, it requires careful planning in order to ensure that you get them all, in sufficient quantities on a daily basis. There is no single plant or plant derrivative that delivers ALL of the essential amino acids by themselves, they are all lacking one or more of them unlike animal based sources which contain them all.

Let's take Watercress as an example. Watercress contains Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Threonine, Tryptopane and Valine, but it does not contain Methionine, Cysteine, Phenylalanie, or Tyrosine. To get a sufficient quantity of these essential amino acids, you'd need to ingest around 200 calories worth...which doesn't sound like much until you consider that 1 cup of Watercress clocks in around 14 calories. Doing the math, 200 calories/ 14 calories/cup = around 14 cups. And then you need to find some seasame flour to round it out (since seasame flour is a source of the 4 missing amino acids that aren't found in Watercress).

As someone who is hypothyroid, soy is definitely out. Depending on who you talk to, gluten and various legumes also can have issues (lectins). For most of us, meat has more upsides than down.

Bolded bit isn't really true. A varied diet takes care of it on it's own. Not to mention, lots of traditional food combinations have evolved that include complete proteins- Beans & Rice, Beans & Tortillas, Corn & Lima Beans (succotash) are a few examples. There are even some complete non-soy vegetarian options including spirulina, quinoa, and buckwheat- though they're not as easily digested and absorbed as eggs or soy. It's sort of overblown hype that you'll be deficient in certain amino acids without planning.

Hemp seeds actually contain all 21 known amino acids. They are your one-stop-shop for complete plant-based protein.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Animal protein contains amino acids not found in plant based proteins Also the aforementioned serotin =)

It is true that you can get all of your essential amino acids through plant sources, however, it requires careful planning in order to ensure that you get them all, in sufficient quantities on a daily basis. There is no single plant or plant derrivative that delivers ALL of the essential amino acids by themselves, they are all lacking one or more of them unlike animal based sources which contain them all.

Let's take Watercress as an example. Watercress contains Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Threonine, Tryptopane and Valine, but it does not contain Methionine, Cysteine, Phenylalanie, or Tyrosine. To get a sufficient quantity of these essential amino acids, you'd need to ingest around 200 calories worth...which doesn't sound like much until you consider that 1 cup of Watercress clocks in around 14 calories. Doing the math, 200 calories/ 14 calories/cup = around 14 cups. And then you need to find some seasame flour to round it out (since seasame flour is a source of the 4 missing amino acids that aren't found in Watercress).

As someone who is hypothyroid, soy is definitely out. Depending on who you talk to, gluten and various legumes also can have issues (lectins). For most of us, meat has more upsides than down.

Bolded bit isn't really true. A varied diet takes care of it on it's own. Not to mention, lots of traditional food combinations have evolved that include complete proteins- Beans & Rice, Beans & Tortillas, Corn & Lima Beans (succotash) are a few examples. There are even some complete non-soy vegetarian options including spirulina, quinoa, and buckwheat- though they're not as easily digested and absorbed as eggs or soy. It's sort of overblown hype that you'll be deficient in certain amino acids without planning.

Hemp seeds actually contain all 21 known amino acids. They are your one-stop-shop for complete plant-based protein.

There's hundreds of known amino acids. I think you mean ESSENTIAL amino acids. Hemp seeds fall in to the category of complete but less-than-idea absorption. It's still best to have a widely varied diet, even though complete vegetarian protein sources. Better to not have all your eggs in one basket. (pun intended)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

^^agreed.

Plus, no-one, or at least I, have never claimed it is not easier to get nutritional needs by including meat, however, add dairy in, and it is really easy to also get them.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member

MoreBean13 - I don't see how you're exactly contradicting me with your point about traditional food combinations - combination implies more than one thing, which was my main point. I think we can agree on one thing and that is that dietary variety is beneficial.

Wendy - Hemp seeds, as well as pistachios and Pumpkin/squash seeds do all contain all of the essential amino acids, but as Bean points out, the issue is bioavailability.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member

MoreBean13 - I don't see how you're exactly contradicting me with your point about traditional food combinations - combination implies more than one thing, which was my main point. I think we can agree on one thing and that is that dietary variety is beneficial.

Wendy - Hemp seeds, as well as pistachios and Pumpkin/squash seeds do all contain all of the essential amino acids, but as Bean points out, the issue is bioavailability.

My issue was the "careful planning" implies that you need to work at it, when in fact it's pretty easy if you just eat a varied diet. No need to stress over it. Since it doesn't really matter whether you eat the complete proteins in a single setting, over the course of a day of normal varied eating, you generally get what you need. I muddled my main point by presenting the combinations- but my sub-point and reason for including that info is that diets have evolved to include complete proteins naturally, long before anyone knew what amino acids were, without planning.
  • WendyTerry420

There's hundreds of known amino acids. I think you mean ESSENTIAL amino acids. Hemp seeds fall in to the category of complete but less-than-idea absorption. It's still best to have a widely varied diet, even though complete vegetarian protein sources. Better to not have all your eggs in one basket. (pun intended)

Whoops! Yes, that should read *essential* in there! Thanks for the correction. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420

I've read that hemp seeds have the highest bioavailability - somewhere near 80%.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Just eat what you like. Despite what anyone says here and opinions and facts that are given no one will listen and go away thinking the same as they did before and the others are still wrong.. :wink: