TIPS for LOSING WEIGHT WITHOUT EXERCISE?

Options
I've been using MFP for about 40 days, only able to lose about 3 pounds. I haven't really been working out much because i don't have much time to do that, but I'm relatively following my calorie amount per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. Im not really losing 1.5 pounds per week though. I've cut down on sugary foods and simply carbs completely. I only drink water and milk. I recently started to have a cup a day of milk because my bodybuilder teacher told me it helps out and its good for you. I don't eat any processed foods. My snacks are fruits, vegetables, whole-wheat crackers, etc. Does it take longer to longer to lose weight because im not exercising, how long? AND do you have any other tips i should take to change my dieting habits?

--Thanks

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I lose about 1 lb every 10 days without exercise. Give it time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have to workout?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

/thread
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You just need to eat at a calorie deficit. I have lost 2 lbs a week for the past 11 wks eating at a deficit with hardly any exercise. You are welcome to look at my diary to see what I eat:)
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a big favor and make some time to exercise (you do have time). Trust me on this. Not just for the weight loss but for being healthy/feeling good.

Also, make sure you are eating enough. Set your goals to lose 1 lb/week. Any more is for people much larger than you. Try to be patient :)
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What kind of milk? Look at the calorie intake from the milk. Skim milk is what you should be drinking if you want to have 8 oz a day.
    I don't like milk, but I know I need it. I mix one yogurt, one banana, 3/4 cup of skim milk and 1/2 of water to make a yogurt smoothie. I like the way it tastes and it gets me my milk.

Also, don't eat any fried foods.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of those things that you must MAKE TIME for. I felt like I didn't have time either, but after shifting some things around in my schedule, I realized that I had plenty of time to get in some physical activity.
    Do a few sets of lunges, push-ups, dips, other calisthenics thorough out the day. Take a few 10-minute walks or run up stairs at work. If you take 10 minutes 3 times a day, you can get in a decent amount of exercise! 30 minutes total if you sneak it in here and there!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your target? Are you accurately measuring/weighing and logging your food and drink?

You can lose weight without exercising (although I would recommend it) - its about your calorie deficit
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is a low fat...low cal diet..what I mean by low calorie is 1400-1500 daily
  • nogood4you1
    Options
    Thanks Guys/Gals! I'll try to switch to skim milk, lower to 1Ib per week, and try to get some exercise into my day! Im sure ill find some time to exercise here and there. Thanks for the advice !! Ill try my best to persevere! :)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of those things that you must MAKE TIME for. I felt like I didn't have time either, but after shifting some things around in my schedule, I realized that I had plenty of time to get in some physical activity.
    Do a few sets of lunges, push-ups, dips, other calisthenics thorough out the day. Take a few 10-minute walks or run up stairs at work. If you take 10 minutes 3 times a day, you can get in a decent amount of exercise! 30 minutes total if you sneak it in here and there!

What if you're injured? I tore my meniscus in my left knee so I am out for a month.
    I have stretches that bring in about 30 cals burnt (I would jump for joy ... But I can't)

I have put myself in maintenance mode and I am trying to eat at a deficit of that ... Sigh
  • tabithaskechak
    Options
    I've been at it for about 2 months and lost 16 pounds so far. I don't even have time to think about exercising between work and college and spending time with my fiance and son! The extent of my exercising is grocery shopping once a week and parking far out so I walk farther. Just pay attention to what you eat and stay at or under your calorie goal, you'll see results.
  • Stormborn25
    Options
    Your bodybuilding teacher told you to drink milk, but you don't exercise......

I would suggest that the milk suggestion was if you were going to be exercising so if your not it's not much help and just extra cals. I mean milk is fine, but making an effort to drink it, on instruction from a trainer, who's programme you're not doing seems a bit redundant.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get blasted for this but I get tired of hearing people say you MUST take time to exercise. Well, when you work two jobs (one in retail during the Christmas season), have 3 very, very busy kids, you don't always have the time. I've lost 20 pounds (1 pound a week consistently) without exercise. You can do it if you follow the calorie intake MFP sets up for you.

These attitudes of "you must do this, you must do that" was the reason I failed in my weight loss the last time. I felt like I had to follow every piece of advice, do everything everyone said. I was convinced there was only one right way to lose weight. And when the pressure became too much (to only put healthy things in my mouth, to work out so many times a week, yadda, yadda, yadda), I simply quit everything.

This time I'm not listening to any "you must".

Well, except for one. "You must do what's right for you and only you know what that is."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than your body needs for the day.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I recently had to stop exercising due to injuries so I've just followed mfp's calories and continue to lose weight. I drink milk once in awhile but try to stay around 1200 daily.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your target? Are you accurately measuring/weighing and logging your food and drink?

You can lose weight without exercising (although I would recommend it) - its about your calorie deficit

^^^
    This, either you aren't being accurate with your calorie intake or you're already at a good weight and you won't lose quickly.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with full fat milk or cheese...just follow the cals in cals out and ask your trainer to give you a good whole body work out routine.

It is soooo important to work your muscles whilst you are losing weight x
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

What if you're injured? I tore my meniscus in my left knee so I am out for a month.
    I have stretches that bring in about 30 cals burnt (I would jump for joy ... But I can't)

I have put myself in maintenance mode and I am trying to eat at a deficit of that ... Sigh

Unless I was dangerously obese, I would *not* eat at a deficit while recovering from an injury. Your body does not need the additional stress of eating at a deficit.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important for so many reasons other than weight loss. It keeps your heart healthy. It improves balance and flexibility (which help you avoid injury). It increases stamina and endurence for daily activities and for play. It will help you immensely as you age...once you get around 40, your metabolism changes, your flexibility starts to decrease, you lose bone mass, your blood pressure starts to change, etc. Exercise will help prevent all of those things. You don't want to be an elderly person with brittle bones and a hunched back and at high risk for heart attack, right? Exercise a few times a week. Your elderly self will thank you many years from now.