Is this normal?

Options
I have been eating much healthier in the past 3 weeks and have cut right down on white carbs. I don't really like rice and pasta but I used to eat a lot of bread and crisps.

Mostly I have been eating salad with some sort of protein and have felt fine - less sluggish than I used to.

On Friday I was at a Christmas party and had lasagne and had stomach pains a couple of hours later. Just thought it was to do with fizzy pop or dancing about too much. Put it out of my mind and carried on.

Tonight I had 2 little bits of garlic bread and a small slice of pizza. Felt fine when I was eating them but now a few hour later my stomach hurts!

I never had any sort of stomach issues when I was eating food like that all the time! I would eat a full 10 inch pizza to myself and not have any issues.

When you stop eating something does it cause issues to add it back in? Even in small amounts?

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have issues too, if I go back to eating any kind of greasy, fatty food (ala Big Mac and fries, etc.).

That stuff isn't bad in small amounts if you are really craving it, but I find that afterwards I usually don't feel very good.
  • psychic_atrophy
    Options
    Our bodies aren't naturally designed to eat all that processed food (refined sugars, chemicals, refined carbs). Our hunter gather ancestors didn't have high fructose corn syrup and white breads. We train our bodies to eat those foods from a young age and soon we start to crave them. Take them away long enough and your body forgets about them. If you eat them again later it's kind of like introducing something foreign into your body. It doesn't naturally know what to do with those foods because we haven't evolved that way. I hope that makes sense and helps.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The fact is, if you take any food out of your diet (and this is not limited to refined or processed foods), it will cause issues when you re-introduce it again. It is probably easy to convince oneself that it is because the food is intrinsically 'bad' that you get issues when you eat it again, but the fact is, this could happen with even something like fruit or vegetables (people often get issues if they start eating those having had a diet of mostly processed foods).

It has nothing to do with what our bodies were or were not naturally designed for either, there is this thing called evolution. We are not living the lifestyles of our ancestors, we are not roaming free, hunting and gathering our own food, and imo, it is rather silly to think modern man should be striving to live that way. It is perfectly possible to practise moderation and limit certain foods, without cutting them out entirely, and to remain healthy.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The fact is, if you take any food out of your diet (and this is not limited to refined or processed foods), it will cause issues when you re-introduce it again. It is probably easy to convince oneself that it is because the food is intrinsically 'bad' that you get issues when you eat it again, but the fact is, this could happen with even something like fruit or vegetables (people often get issues if they start eating those having had a diet of mostly processed foods).

It has nothing to do with what our bodies were or were not naturally designed for either, there is this thing called evolution. We are not living the lifestyles of our ancestors, we are not roaming free, hunting and gathering our own food, and imo, it is rather silly to think modern man should be striving to live that way. It is perfectly possible to practise moderation and limit certain foods, without cutting them out entirely, and to remain healthy.

That is pure hogwash. Doctors all the time advise elimination diets to see if people have any food allergies.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I went vegan a few months ago, and last month I accidentally had whey protein from a smoothie shop when I asked for rice. I had really bad cramps after. So if you haven't been eating a lot of cheese and then suddenly had a bunch of pizza, it could be that. You do lose your tolerance to lactose fairly quickly if you cut it out. And I'm not spouting vegan nonsense or anything because I have a couple of friends that tried to go dairy free just for their health, skin, etc. and went back to eating it, and got sick when they first started trying again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That is pure hogwash. Doctors all the time advise elimination diets to see if people have any food allergies.

Doctors also prescribe speed to children.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If I drink soda (especially full sugar) I have stomach cramps that could kill a horse. I used to drink the stuff every day. Now I'd rather get gut punched by a heavy lifter from the forum. I also can't eat much in one sitting without being uncomfortable. I'm so used to eating a little throughout the day that big meals are not even possible for me anymore.

However, if it gets really bad or happens a lot or with other foods you might want to ask someone with a medical degree :)
  • freerange
    Options

Doctors also prescribe speed to children.

albuquerque,,,,, see I can do it too,,,,,,,,,,, say something totally unrelated to what you said.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder issues?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

And your statement has nothing at all to do with the Op's original post, as it is clear from this "I never had any sort of stomach issues when I was eating food like that all the time! I would eat a full 10 inch pizza to myself and not have any issues." , that it is highly unlikely to be a food allergy issue...also there is a difference between food allergy and food intolerance, a true food allergy, such as that of nuts, results in anaphylactic shock. Maybe you need to do some research yourself before calling someone else's words 'hogwash'.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I couldn't have said it any better.

Eating like a caveman, while driving my car, and talking on my cell phone. Now that's hogwash!
  • freerange
    Options

And your statement has nothing at all to do with the Op's original post, as it is clear from this "I never had any sort of stomach issues when I was eating food like that all the time! I would eat a full 10 inch pizza to myself and not have any issues." , that it is highly unlikely to be a food allergy issue...also there is a difference between food allergy and food intolerance, a true food allergy, such as that of nuts, results in anaphylactic shock. Maybe you need to do some research yourself before calling someone else's words 'hogwash'.

you can eat crap all your life and not know it, until you get rid of it and then reintroduce it. intolerance or allergy, whatever, splitting hairs to make yourself feel better. Not all allergies cause you to go into shock. My remarks were pointed to you not the OP, you said there was no correlation between how the OP feels now and reintroducing foods, that is hogwash.
  • freerange
    Options

I couldn't have said it any better.

Eating like a caveman, while driving my car, and talking on my cell phone. Now that's hogwash!

again one has nothing to do with the other, ignorance is bliss I guess.
  • 141by2016
    Options
    And so it begins. OP asks about effects of eating less processed food, unprocessed food eater confirms OP's experience and offers a possible explanation, makes the mistake of mentioning evolution. Processed food consumer/calories in calories out person said OP's experience unlikely to be related to processed food, dismisses OP's experience, calls second poster stupid, and on and on. This is the way we approach things here, apparently everyone has a dog in this fight.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have issues too, if I go back to eating any kind of greasy, fatty food.
    Ditto. Anything greasy will get my gut roiling every time. Although I seldom eat bread of any kind, a little bit doesn't bother me but a lot will show on the scale fast! Same with cheese. Milk, however, has taught me that I am highly intolerant of it and it's best to just stay away from it. I was probably lactose intolerant as a child but didn't know it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder issues?

That is kinda what I was thinking...

I had my gallbladder out about 15 years ago. One of the worst attacks I had, which ended with me going by ambulance to the ER, was caused by eating lasagna. Without fail, if I ate anything greasy, 4-5 hours later I was in AGONY.

OP..I would start keeping a food diary. Write down what you eat, when you eat it, and any stomach issues that might come up. Take this to your doctor. he will probably order an ultrasound to look for stones and sludge...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This thread is a perfect example of why we can't have nice things. :angry:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone mention celiac disease yet.

I have been eating much healthier in the past 3 weeks and have cut right down on white carbs. I don't really like rice and pasta but I used to eat a lot of bread and crisps.

Mostly I have been eating salad with some sort of protein and have felt fine - less sluggish than I used to.

On Friday I was at a Christmas party and had lasagne and had stomach pains a couple of hours later. Just thought it was to do with fizzy pop or dancing about too much. Put it out of my mind and carried on.

Tonight I had 2 little bits of garlic bread and a small slice of pizza. Felt fine when I was eating them but now a few hour later my stomach hurts!

I never had any sort of stomach issues when I was eating food like that all the time! I would eat a full 10 inch pizza to myself and not have any issues.

When you stop eating something does it cause issues to add it back in? Even in small amounts?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I haven't see anyone mention changes in the gut flora or enzyme balance yet. Could be the fats or the carbs, there is no particular reason to start amateur diagnosing protein allergies given this is a new phenomenon.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

This has nothing to do with an elimination diet. It has to do with adding something that has not been eliminated from the diet for a while. With one possible causes of an issue are removed to see if it results in a positive effect. The other is adding something that is not normally part of the diet. Notice the difference. Also notice there is nothing called an addition diet because of this very fact. I know if I don't eat apples for a long time when I first start eating them I will find I have some issues which go away in a day or so, but I guess I could just as easily say the apples are bad for me. I would miss apples though.