Is this normal?

Options
2»

Replies

• sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I'm seriously afraid of the consequences of EVER eating at McDonalds again.... :shudders: :embarassed:
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Clearly this means you shouldn't be eating processed carbs - you are poisoning your body and your body is rebelling by giving you stomach cramps and aches. Your best bet is to avoid the crap as much as possible!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Couldn't it just have been indigestion or something?
  • You_Can_Be
    You_Can_Be Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It could be that you have candida? If you do an internet search for symptoms you will find a list which will help you determine if you do or not. If you have removed unrefined carbs (what about sugar have you removed that too?), what happens is that the candida overgrowth starts to die away and then if you eat unrefined, which turns immediately to sugar the candida who are starving have a field day when you eat their food which is unrefined carbs, this upsets your intestinal balance. I would suggest staying off the unrefined totally e.g. a la anti candida diet so not too much fruit either, for about 6 months. You could also take a probiotic supplement at the same time to re-inhabit your gut with more healthy bioflora.
  • julesy_b
    julesy_b Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem too. I would say I maybe eat around 2 slices of bread a day, but less as I try to have cereal etc. instead. I had some rice at the weekend and my stomach was sore too. I guess its just taking things out your diet and then introducing them a bit at a time? Maybe it if continues get it checked out x
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I have had this happen. Eat really good for a while, then eat junk again and ooooohhhhhhhhhh so painful! :sick: But eat enough junk and it is no longer an issue. :laugh:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Food allergies and food intolerances are on a spectrum. You can have a mild allergic reaction (some mouth itching, perhaps) to something that you are allergic to one day, and the next day go into full blown anaphylaxis from the same type of exposure. You can test negative on a skin scratch test, and yet go into anaphylaxis from eating the same substance. You can react to one strain but not another.

Intolerances too can be on a spectrum. Maybe a bit of tummy growling or diarrhoea from exposure to a substance, or maybe all the way up to gluten ataxia where it prevents you from being able to walk, talk, or feed yourself.

You can have an intolerance, even celiac disease, and never have any stomach issues - or issues that would normally be associated by a doctor with celiac disease. Many celiacs have no digestive symptoms before quitting gluten. However, after clearing gluten from your system, so that your body is no longer on "high alert" all of the time, many celiacs find that they have much worse reactions to gluten when they are then exposed accidentally. My son always had stomach aches after eating, but it wasn't until he'd been off of gluten for a while that he started having vomiting after gluten exposure. He never had the "classic" diarrhoea. I never had stomach aches, vomiting, or diarrhoea from gluten exposure, before or after quitting, but did have constipation, nosebleeds, infertility, anaemia, depression, foggy thinking, and many other symptoms that no doctor had ever connected with gluten.

My comment on the OP's original post is that:

a) she eliminated bread from her diet and was not eating pasta
    b) she felt more alert, energetic, and less foggy headed (my interpretation of "less sluggish than I used to") after changing her diet
    c) off-diet infractions made her ill

This is a pretty classic chain of events for a celiac who tries out a low carb, paleo, or gluten free diet. I'm not saying she has celiac. I'm not a doctor. It could certainly be another body system, another allergy or intolerance, a reaction to too much grease, to changes in gut flora, in fact it could even be stress related or she could be fighting a virus. I would simply suggest celiac disease as a possibility, as I wish that someone had suggested celiac disease to me twenty year ago!
    And your statement has nothing at all to do with the Op's original post, as it is clear from this "I never had any sort of stomach issues when I was eating food like that all the time! I would eat a full 10 inch pizza to myself and not have any issues." , that it is highly unlikely to be a food allergy issue...also there is a difference between food allergy and food intolerance, a true food allergy, such as that of nuts, results in anaphylactic shock. Maybe you need to do some research yourself before calling someone else's words 'hogwash'.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My guess is gluten intolerance or possibly celiac....
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the previous comments but I have had this happen quite frequently. I'm not sure if its a medical issue, but I find that I lose "tolerance" to certain foods if I don't eat them for awhile.
  • sharzymay
    Options
    It could be a Stomic ulcer - my mother had one and so do i..i have the exact same issue as you guyz. http://www.ulcer-cure.com/Ulcer_Symptoms/symptoms-of-a-stomach-ulcer.php?gclid=CLqApaL5kLQCFYp_QgodrGcAlg
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lived my whole life with acid reflux disease anything greasy oily or fried would leave me feeling sick for the rest of the digestion period after I've eaten it but even that I could eat fast food everyday and not have a problem until one day I ate something greasy and felt so bad I passed out from the pain I decided no more I'm going to eat healthy from now onward

I did for a long time I ate good foods but I find myself eating still enough to lose weight but I'll eat fast foods every so often now when I do so my stomach is so much smaller the portions which make me sick are getting smaller and smaller and it scares me a bit what if when I'm at a normal body weight again I wont be able to eat enough?

I don't know really in any case I still love pizza fries and burgers.. but I just can't eat much anymore
  • H217
    H217 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The fact is, if you take any food out of your diet (and this is not limited to refined or processed foods), it will cause issues when you re-introduce it again. It is probably easy to convince oneself that it is because the food is intrinsically 'bad' that you get issues when you eat it again, but the fact is, this could happen with even something like fruit or vegetables (people often get issues if they start eating those having had a diet of mostly processed foods).

It has nothing to do with what our bodies were or were not naturally designed for either, there is this thing called evolution. We are not living the lifestyles of our ancestors, we are not roaming free, hunting and gathering our own food, and imo, it is rather silly to think modern man should be striving to live that way. It is perfectly possible to practise moderation and limit certain foods, without cutting them out entirely, and to remain healthy.

That is pure hogwash. Doctors all the time advise elimination diets to see if people have any food allergies.

And your statement has nothing at all to do with the Op's original post, as it is clear from this "I never had any sort of stomach issues when I was eating food like that all the time! I would eat a full 10 inch pizza to myself and not have any issues." , that it is highly unlikely to be a food allergy issue...also there is a difference between food allergy and food intolerance, a true food allergy, such as that of nuts, results in anaphylactic shock. Maybe you need to do some research yourself before calling someone else's words 'hogwash'.

So, it may be worth it to look into celiac disease. It isn't a food allergy -- it's an autoimmune disorder. Both my mother and my aunt have it (although I do not, as far as I know), and both were advised by a doctor to try to cut out gluten entirely for 3-4 weeks and then reintroduce it with as few other diet changes as possible. Even though neither one of them had experienced obvious symptoms before besides general, mild indigestion issues (although it's possible to experience no symptoms at all), they both exhibited obvious signs of celiac disease after the reintroduction of gluten.

Taking a break from (and subsequently reintroducing) certain foods is an incredibly valid method of testing for food intolerance issues. A quick Google search or a discussion with your doctor will tell you as much.