LADIES: birth control and weight loss/gain

Options
I'm thinking about going back on the pill, but im nervous about how it will affect my weight. I was on it for 4 years and at the time i was not watching my weight, so i can't really say if it made me gain or lose or whatever.

What kind of experiences have you all had with the pill and your weight loss journey?

Replies

• lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I went back on it awhile ago and gained about 5kg in about 8wks.

My dr told me that there are other brands of the pill out there that you wont gain on, its just a matter of trial and error - he also said that the more expensive brands you are less likely to gain on.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Sprintec and I like it. No weight gain and it doesn't make me feel nauseous like other pills I tried.
  • mrganrshort
    mrganrshort Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am on birth control and I have lost 15 pounds, no problem! I know everyone's different but I definitely haven't had any problems. Although every kind of bc is a little different too.
  • rburd12
    Options
    I haven't experienced any gains or losses as a results of the pill. But I was concerned that it might be preventing me from losing weight so I flat out asked my doctor-- her answer was no.

I've also gone to another doctor for help losing weight after losing 35 lbs and hitting a wall. That doctor didn't seem to be concerned with me being on the pill either.

It probably just varies depending on your hormone levels?
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am on birth control and I have lost 15 pounds, no problem! I know everyone's different but I definitely haven't had any problems. Although every kind of bc is a little different too.

I have started birth control when I was abour 12 years old because my periods were so sever and eventually I wanted to be on the pill for obvious reasons. I don't really feel like the pill (and I have been on quite a few different ones to find the one that kept my periods under control the best) has caused me to gain or to prevent me from losing weight. I have yo-yo'ed with my weight all the years I have been on the pill. I agree with mrganrshort, while all BC can be different and effect everyone different. I wouldn't hold it the culprit for everyones weight gain.

* also I had a friend who was on the shot and her weight wasn't an issue but her moodiness was. She would get more moody around the time she was due for her shot. Also my mother had a friend who's daughter tried the shot as well and it made her act out horribly as well. The same friend I mentioned first then tried Mirena (hoped I spelled that right) and she said she gained almost 25 pounds in just little over a month. She had it removed asap.

So I really think that its when we take ANYTHING that can mess with our normal rythem of hormons we can gain/lose weight. We just have to watch and adjust according. :)
  • shakarock
    shakarock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control for about a year, and I gained 20 pounds without changing any of my daily routine. :/ Some people don't gain weight from it, but most people do. I wouldn't go on the pill unless I really had to, if I were you.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I neither gained nor lost weight when I first went on the pill. In fact, when I went on the pill was when I realized that I needed to lose weight. I didn't realize how heavy I had gotten and during my research I found out that BC does not necessarily work as well when you are heavy. The Pill made my PMS SOO much better. I didn't have any issues losing weight either and now that I'm maintaining my weight, I found that my period is under control (it's wonderful) and that it hasn't been difficult to maintain my weight while on the Pill.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I was on Loestrin 24Fe for about a year, suffered no weight gain. Guess it depends on the type of BCP you take.
  • kamanda85
    kamanda85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just started back on birth control and it's definitely something I'm worried about as well. I'm using NuvaRing and hoping that I won't gain any and will still continue to lose. I'm just going to make sure that I hit my cals for at least the next couple of weeks until Christmas and try to stay on target then as well.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    ortho tri cyclin or however you spell it works great for me. Reduced breakouts, regulates my ., and no weight gain. (lower sex drive though which sucks for my bf)

Depo shots made 2 of my friends gain weight, one gained A LOT. I'm talking from size 2 to plus size. Another friend gained a few lbs (maybe 10lbs) and stopped getting shots after the first one. She said she was constantly ravenous,
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It personally made me hold on to weight and also made me go a little craaaazzzzyyyyyyyy. :) Once I went off the pill I dropped weight a bit easier for the next couple months and re-gained my sanity. At least I like to think so...haha.. This was a couple years ago btw. Also, I would pick a lower dosage pill if you can. I have heard from several girls to avoid the depo shot as I have had friends gain up to 30 pounds after getting it.
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just went on the pill 3 months again and had the same fears of weight gain. I explained this to my Dr and they put me on Lo Loestrin Fe and I have had NO weight gain and no other side effects. LOVE it!
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I skipped the pill for 3 months and I think I have gained about 8 lbs since I last checked (before I got off the pill).... So it could happen either way
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Here's an experience I've seen happen:

My friend just got pregnant with her boyfriend of 3 months. When asked why she wasn't on birth control, we were told, "Because birth control makes you fat. I didn't want to get fat!"

Moral of the story:

Babies make you fat, too. 0_o
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ask about the coil.
  • panda007dammit
    panda007dammit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So, my experience has been with three different pills: Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, LoEstrin, and OrthoCyclen. I took the first pill in high school and college because I had some issues with my body maintaining any kind of menstrual schedule, and that pill most closely simulates the natural ebb and flow of your monthly hormones. I was already large at the time, so I didn't notice anything, but eventually went off the pill by accident (I'd forgotten to refill my prescription) and in the week it took me to get the pills again, I had lost 8 pounds. I decided to just stick it out and see how things went without the pill. My body actually maintained a schedule, so I went a few years without the pill. It was during this time that I lost the bulk of my weight.

A little over a year ago, I started LoEstrin. It's fairly low in hormonal influence, so I didn't experience any bloating or weight gain, but it threw off my body's schedule in a bad way. Things got bad enough that I went to the doctor to try a different pill, and she started me on OrthCyclen. That has fixed the schedule, but I gained 12 pounds within a month. I just kept with it and eventually that water weight disappeared. I've lost more weight while on OrthoCyclen (9 lbs overall since starting this pill, 6 lbs since I joined MFP), but I have noticed that my body is EXTREMELY sensitive to dietary changes. One overly salty meal or a little too much alcohol and I will be a balloon for at least three days. It's all water weight, but it's very frustrating. I do think this is a result of the pill, but I guess I'll take sporadic bloating over constantly having my period.

As far as I know, bloating is a common side effect with many pills. Genuine weight gain is probably more a factor of an increased appetite while on the pill than actual metabolic effects (the pill is probably not slowing your metabolism down). Bloating can be dealt with by actually examining the content of what you're eating instead of just monitoring calories. Eventually your body should adjust.
  • mosertheninja
    mosertheninja Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I blamed my wight gain on my birth control. but the truth is, that's ALL UP TO YOU! I was on the shot, Depo Vera. Though there was some initial weight gain, I failed to see that my eating habits and lack of exercise were the main cause. i've been on the shot for 3 years now, and I lost over 30 lbs in three months as soon as I changed my diet and exercise. Stick to what you're doing, maybe bump the cardio a bit. Just remember that some of the hormones make you feel more hungry and less full. Count your calories and you should be fine! And again, I would go with the shot over the pill. Once every three months as opposed to every day! It's a lot harder to lose weight after having a child.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started back on birth control and it's definitely something I'm worried about as well. I'm using NuvaRing and hoping that I won't gain any and will still continue to lose. I'm just going to make sure that I hit my cals for at least the next couple of weeks until Christmas and try to stay on target then as well.

I've been on Nuvaring for 5 years now and no complaints except I wish my insurance covered more of it :smile: I did start to put on weight around the time I started it but I think that was more a result of not enough exercise and poor eating habits. I like the convenience of not having to take a pill on a daily basis since I can tend to be forgetful.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different.

I've been on the pill and now the injection and it hasn't made any difference to me, yet one friend took the pill and it made her go a bit crazy and she got really depressed.
  • bzrpz727
    bzrpz727 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been on two different pills FemconFe, or something like that, awhile back that made me go completely insane! I didn't notice it do much to my weight since I was in college, eating terribly and barely active so my weight was up anyways. But it did make me feel like everyone hated me and I would cry at the slightest things or for no reason at all. When I stopped them, everything went back to normal.

I've been on Yaz recently for about 9 months, and I've noticed a huge change in appetite. I crave sweets CONSTANTLY! Before the pill I had to be in a certain mood to even consider eating sweets, but afterward that's all I wanted. So I blame any weight gain on the change of appetite and lack of self control more than anything.

I did notice that when I started the pill this last time, I also wanted to start losing weight and tried, but I couldn't lose anything. Not sure if it was lack of willpower and motivation/time or if the pill may have had something to do with it. All I know for sure is that I'm 20 pounds heavier now than I was then.