LADIES: birth control and weight loss/gain

Options

Replies

• sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My dr told me that there are other brands of the pill out there that you wont gain on, its just a matter of trial and error - he also said that the more expensive brands you are less likely to gain on.

It makes me sad that you guys have to pay for the pill. Here in the UK it's completely free, all different brands. Although someone should keep pointing that out to the huge amounts of teenage mums we end up with... *rolls eyes*

Yeah, I pay $30/month for birth control, and it would be $102/month if I didn't have health insurance. I figure a dollar a day is a small price to pay to prevent a child... :-)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I blamed my weight gain on BC. I started taking it when I was 19 and that's when I started putting on the pounds. I'm on NuvaRing now and I've had no problem losing weight while using it.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I got on the minipill (Norethindrone) after I had my son, and then proceeded to lose every ounce of my baby weight, plus another 20 lbs. So I'd say mine affects me with weight not in the slightest, you might want to ask your dr about it. Another good thing about it, I had exactly two periods on it, then stopped completely, which they say is pretty normal with the minipill. I haven't had a period in seven months. I save a bundle on tampons!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i'm on nuvaring, and have been able to steadily lose weight this whole year.

i like it for the low hormones, and that it's not a daily thing. have to be comfortable with your lady parts though...involves some digging around :P
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was put on BeYaz and Metformin for PCOS, and I ended up having my period for 32 days, and during that time I had gained weight. I came off of it due to my insurance not covering the BC and it was going to cost $107 for a month supply. Currently right now I am looking into herbal suppliments for PCOS. My husband isn't home enough for me to worry about getting pregnant ha! :D

I also dealt with terrible headaches while on BeYaz.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Stick with the pill or an IUD and stay away from the Depo shot.
  • jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    I take Generess Fe and haven't had any trouble losing or maintaining my weight.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's really going to depend on which pill works for you. I've tried 3 different ones over the last 2 years (each trial period should be 3-6 months) and I found one that works for me. There was one that made me gain weight, and fast, even though I was working out more than before. The one I'm on now is perfect for me.

Don't forget that weight loss/gain will not be the ONLY side effects of the pill. You'll need to try until you find the right balance. My main concerns were weight gain, acne increase/decrease, heaviness of my period and sex drive. There was a pill that killed my sex drive, but was great on everything else, so I couldn't stay on it.

I've found the perfect one now. You might be lucky and get the right one as the first one, but it might take some time to figure it out.
  • jbeverly21176
    Options
    I just started taking the pill about 5 months ago and I have lost 30+ lbs. I think it is different with everyone, although I have not gained any weight I did pick up some other symptoms like fatigue and I can be a emotional mess sometimes.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Every woman reacts differently. I was put on Loestrin FE for a severe bleeding episode (took 4 units of blood and an operation to solve the immediate crisis). In 16 weeks, WHILE DIETING at 1200 calories and exercising I gained 14 pounds. Made no sense whatsoever. I also would flip back and forth from weepy to wanting to bash people in the face. Some women take the same med and are just fine. <shrug>
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena after I had my daughter in 2006. That year i lost 75 lbs! with diet and exercise. (now I have gained it all back, but that is all MY fault and NOTHING to do with BC) I loved it, didn't have a period.

I just got a new one put back in a month ago. Now, today, I have my check up to make wure everything is "ok", and they can't find it! So I am stressed out, wanting to eat myself happy again (but that isn't going to do ANYTHING but make me feel worse). So I am thinking I want it out and I don't want to put anything else into my body for BC. The pills made me emotional even the low dose, the ring (that was just nasty, discharge) I didn't care for it. The patch made rashes on my body, it worked and I liked it, but I didn't like having pimple like rashes on my behind! And now this...I AM DONE WITH BC!! If my hubby doesn't want to have anymore kids then wrap it up, get a vasectomy, or deal with the chance it may occur.

Just my input...
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses but....for me I've found (been on and off bc sveral times) When I go on bc and I'm watching my weight it doesn't have any negative affects. If I go on bc and I'm in a "I don't give a rats behind" phase I usually gain and then it's just much harder to take the weight off. I fI go off bc I find it easier to drop some weight.

Sidenote they just switched which generic they have at my pharmacy...so it's supposed to be the same just from another company and all the sudden my boobs are gaining weight...the rest of me has not...I think maybe I'm still losing a tiny bit in other areas but still at a standstill b/c of these darn tatas! lol I'm not really complaining but it's SO WEIRD!

Every pill affects every woman differently.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I got put back on the pill 3 months ago for PCOS (I don't need to use it for BC). I have lost 2 lbs. in 3 months. I have been so frusterated!!! No gaining though. I am currently changing my routine and adding more lifting. Maybe that will put me back in the right direction!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Here's an experience I've seen happen:

My friend just got pregnant with her boyfriend of 3 months. When asked why she wasn't on birth control, we were told, "Because birth control makes you fat. I didn't want to get fat!"

Moral of the story:

Babies make you fat, too. 0_o

^^^pregnancy will definately put weight on you , its guaranteed!!! plus stretch marks, and other body changes, birth control problems are non existent compared to getting pregnant when you dont want to!!...live and learn!!
  • ARHx0
    ARHx0 Posts: 32
    Options
    Well, I'm on Seasonique for the second time, both times I gained about 20lbs. However both times I was in a new relationship so that comfort weight/going on dinner dates a lot probably helped! lol
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Copper coil I lost 28lbs months after I had it and still losing

Going to second this here.

I was on various estrogen-based pills as a teen, and despite dieting + exercise still gained weight. I tried the progesterone mini-pill last year (I was intending to have the implant if I didn't have any side effects), and wound up bleeding heavily for four months and becoming anemic despite the pill boasting to lighten periods.

So I opted for a copper coil IUD as something completely hormone free. Hormones do funny things to some lady's bodies and my body certainly doesn't agree with me taking any added hormones. It's in for 5 years, I don't have to worry about it too much, and it doesn't effect me at all. :3 Have a serious think about a non-hormone based IUD if you're worried about hormones.
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    Hormone balances vary between different bodies. For example, a good girl friend and I both went on the same pill at the same time. I was fine, she had horrendous mood swings and became suicidal. When she got off of it she was mostly fine, when I got off I didn't get a period for almost a year but was fine in the end. We both tried IUDs, it worked for her and she's still on it, my uterus pushed out three of them.

I am now on Loestrin 24 FE. I would rather not be on it (I the idea of any artificial hormones even though I've never had extreme problems it just makes me feel "off") but whatever I'm on it. I find for me it makes it harder to lose or gain weight but not impossible just steadily slow.

That is my experience, if you need or want to be on the pill try it out. Perhaps keep a diary, notice if you see any changes. Sometimes it's not always the pill - I had a different friend who blamed gaining weight on her pill, but she also started binge drinking and midnight eating around the same time so there's that.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had an IUD for about 2 years after having my youngest son. In June I demanded they take it out for many reasons. One being that no matter how hard I tried, no matter how healthy I ate or worked out, I just couldn't lose weight. Once I had the IUD removed they put me on a pill called Portia and I actually love it. I have been able to lose weight and I haven't had any bad side effects with it. In the past other BC they put me on made me an evil, evil, hungry woman! Keep in mind that all of our bodies are different so one person might have a good experience with one form of BC and another girl could have a bad one.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Being on the pill never made me gain weight. I didn't get the cravings that some women do, so I didn't eat more than usual.

Most medical studies I've read attribute the weight gain to a combination of extra water retention and cravings. When women on the pill monitored what they ate, drank water, and kept to an exercise regimen, most of them didn't gain the 10-15 pounds others did.

I think the pill gets a reputation for weight gain because some women don't realize they're eating more and giving into those cravings. I'm sure there are a few cases where it really does mess with weight gain. Since you're using MFP, you should be just fine. :)
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Sprintec and I like it. No weight gain and it doesn't make me feel nauseous like other pills I tried.

I started Sprintec about four months ago and I really like it as well. And I'm still losing weight. My PMS has also lessened and cramps are much less painful. Good luck in choosing what's best for you.