The Hobbit

Options

Replies

• CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    cmcollins001 posted:
    I don't like crowds of people enough to go to the opening, BUT I will see it at the theater. I've been waiting for this since the cartoon disappointment they put out so many years ago. LOVED the book!

You didn't like the Rankin/Bass version in 1977? I thought it was kinda cute, and the depiction of Smaug was well-drawn.

They don't animate films like that anymore. It was all absolutely beautifully drawn. And I agree about Smaug.

smaug-rankin-bass.jpg

I'm glad this inspired you to read Tolkien. But where are his scales? He looks like a dragon fox...too furry and his face looks like a fox's....
  • khsmomma
    khsmomma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My wife is dying to go! I would rather not but when your in love you do crazy things.

And I sure do appreciate it. Out of love for you, you don't have to. :flowerforyou: It would be nice though. :smile: By the way, I'm not dying, just really really really looking forward to seeing it. :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    cmcollins001 posted:
    I don't like crowds of people enough to go to the opening, BUT I will see it at the theater. I've been waiting for this since the cartoon disappointment they put out so many years ago. LOVED the book!

You didn't like the Rankin/Bass version in 1977? I thought it was kinda cute, and the depiction of Smaug was well-drawn.

They don't animate films like that anymore. It was all absolutely beautifully drawn. And I agree about Smaug.

smaug-rankin-bass.jpg

I'm glad this inspired you to read Tolkien. But where are his scales? He looks like a dragon fox...too furry and his face looks like a fox's....

You can't see the scales? Really?

If I had a drawing program here at work, I would circle them for you.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've been ready for a few years now! Super excited now that the time is getting close. Wont go Friday but maybe Monday.
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    Can't wait!!! I am a 'nerd' and I say it proudly!!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    We are currently reading it for book club and plan to see the film after our discussion!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    If this is as bad as lord of the rings I am in! I have been looking for a good reason to take a 6 1/2 hour nap
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see it!
    I would be going midnight if i thought i could persuade anyone to go with me,..... but nope.
    x
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I hear it was a good book but.....
    didnt-read-darth-vader.gif
  • Linnews
    Options
    Yess, I'm really excited! I had to get up at 6 am and stand in line for about 3 hours to get midnight premiere tickets, but it was definitively worth it. I'm gonna see it with six of my closest nerd-friends as well, so it'll be awesome!
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    smaug-rankin-bass.jpg

Smaug looked awesome back in the day.. Given he's a bit dated now but still looks good..

Personally I think Jackson is gonna screw this up. He might get some parts right but ultimately I got no faith in the guy considering what a hack job he did with LOTR.
  • FairyMomma408
    Options
    Wendy, I have the Rankin/Bass version on VHS - I'm tempted to watch it tonight, but I have to get cracking on my gift-wrapping and making out Christmas cards! :ohwell:

I used to have it. I'm tempted to buy it for myself for Christmas! :laugh:

That was my faaaaaaavorite movie as a kid, I still love it,
    As to the movie, I'm going to see it, but not for a month or two, once the crowds clear :)
  • FairyMomma408
    Options
    smaug-rankin-bass.jpg

Smaug looked awesome back in the day.. Given he's a bit dated now but still looks good..

Personally I think Jackson is gonna screw this up. He might get some parts right but ultimately I got no faith in the guy considering what a hack job he did with LOTR.

Love Smaug :D
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Where I live, going to the midnight premier of anything is hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get a good audience who laughs and cries and applauds all at the right moments. But then you get little tweenies who do nothing but talk loudly, text on their phone, thus bothering people with the light, and just being idiots all around.

If its a really popular movie, like this one most definitely will be, I tend to go to showings during the week in daytime, when its cheaper and kids are generally still in school.

I am sooooo looking forward to this movie though!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Been looking forward to this for a long time now, and fortunately, I have a cinema giftcard from last christmas that I have not used yet, which will get a seat for both me and my bf.
    I will be skipping the first day though, and waiting til the weekdays when it will be hopefully quieter.
  • _Katastrophic
    Options
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've had my tickets booked for about a month - preselected seats and all. We are going on Friday night at about 10 for my friend's 30th birthday. I've watched all three LOTR movies (yet again) over the past three weekends in preparation. I am so excited! I'm also glad it will be three movies - gives me more to look forward to!
  • Cat1094
    Cat1094 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Conflicted about going... REALLY want to see it, DON'T want to wait until next year to see the 2nd installment... Not that I have much choice LOL... Oh well, we'll see. If I go, it won't be the first night, too many people! :)
  • joveen86
    joveen86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to go watch the movie this past Sunday on base with like a million others. It was really good.