let's hear it for maintainenance

Options
I would like to hear from some folks who are maintaining their weight loss and how it is going. After all, it is not simply about losing .Before I joined MFP I lost 40 pounds, but then gained back 18 so easily it wasn't funny. Now I am back and don't want to relapse. I am posting this in success Stories because if you are maintaining, and not relapsing you are truly being successful Please share.Thanks

Replies

• Bassgirl51
    Options
    Bump...curious also.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've been brave enough to net around 2600 calories for about 2 months and have not gained. I have been learning to maintain my size since July and had some accidental losses while getting my intake right. It all makes sense now why I lost the weight so fast, I must have been eating at a much larger deficit than was necessary.

I've been lifting 3-4 days per week, not much cardio because I like to get it from outdoor sports and it's cold and creepy outside now.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Maintaining for about a year and a half. :drinker:

I actually lost about 10 more pounds after reaching my initial goal, but slowly put that back on... while staying the same size.

I'm 40 years old 5'5 and a little under 135, and eat about 2300 calories a day to maintain. I run 2-3 times a week and lift weights 3x a week.
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    Thanks! Hope I hear more. When I search maintenance, it all sounds so complicated. thanks for the photos as well.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Finished my weight loss in March, I have gained weight since but it is from adding lean muscle. Its alot easier to maintain once you reach your goal then it is to reach it.
    Im 43, lift 4 x per week and do insanity for my cardio 1-2 x per week.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I actually stared out here with maintenance as my goal. My dad was using MFP for his weight loss and I liked how easy it was for him to track his calories. For years I've relied on using a notebook to plan my calories but I had no way to really log calories at restaurants or in scenarios where I didn't have a "nutritional information" block on the packaging. When it came to exercise, I couldn't really estimate how much I burned.

I like maintaining. I actually have lost a little weight, probably because "maintenance" allows me to take in more calories than I tend to get around to actually eating. And when I have times where my caloric intake / output balance is off, I know about it. Maintaining on MFP gives me a much better way to judge where I am than basing my assessment on how hungry I feel or what I simply guess I should eat or do.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have been at my goal weight since August. I 'only' had 4-5kg to lose but I still had to work at it. I have always been very active, running mainly, long distances etc. when I got injured and couldn't run for 4 months from February I had to knuckle down and cut back on what I eat. I love healthy food but if you don't need it, you don't need it and the lard piles on!

Since August I haven been eating about 1880 cals before exercise. Often I run 10-26 miles and eat back loads of my cals, so on those days I eat masses. It's all about a life style not just weight loss and diet.

Good luck to you :drinker:
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like this thread already! We need more of these. Any tips you all have learned about tweaking your maintenance? How long do you wait until you tweak, how do you know you need to tweak, etc... just things you all may have picked up on the way that might be useful to us losers ( WEIGHT losers :) ) when we get to the maintenance point!!
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have been maintaining since May and generally net around 1600 per day. I exercise at least an hour each day and have actually lost a kilo or two since reaching maintenance . I am 5'5 and weigh 149lbs - but unfortunately am carrying a lot of excess skin which my doctor estimates at around 14lb- so am the equivalent of around 135. I am looking at that being removed next year some time if all goes to plan.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal on December 6th of 2011. After I hit my goal, I lost 8 to 10 more lbs as I figured out how many calories I need per day to maintain.

Right now my BMI is anywhere from 18.5 to 19. I eat around 2000 calories a day with a little more on the weekends. I continue exercise 4 to 5x a week with cardio and weights.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later - I am nearly at goal so keen to know more about maintaining and NEVER going back to where I was.

Congratulations to you all. :flowerforyou:
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    I love the response! And I am glad to begin this journey knowing it keeps on going! You guys don't make it sound so complicated! Thanks
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I am close to my goal weight (2-3 pounds away) and I am starting to play with my numbers. Besides the amount of calories you guys eat, it would also be nice to know how tall you are.

Congratulations to those who have achieved their goal. :drinker:
  • medaud10
    Options
    I am finding it a bit hard to maintain. Easy to put weight back on. I gained 4 lbs over thanksgiving. I have lost 1 1/2 back off that. I use the elliptical 5 times a week for 40 minutes. Keep my calories around 1600. If I change that routine I start to gain again. I am 5 61/2 and weigh 148 with the gain from thanksgiving week.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've been eating maintenance since August. My calorie goal is 2500 a day and I add in more/eat back all my cardio calories. It's not that hard to maintain. My weight is usually within a couple pounds of goal weight of 210. If it goes over I just watch the calories a tad closer and if I go under a few days then I just work harder at eating all my calories. Losing a pound or two isn't a big deal at all. I've just about quit logging weekends and some evenings too. I sort of keep track of it in my head and if I'm a bit over or under I can always pick up the slack the next day or two.

FYI 6'2" and 210 pounds.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my 200 pound loss for over 3 years now. I track about half the time, but I watch what I eat and make healthy choices 90% of the time even when I do not track. I weigh myself everyday and have given myself a 3 pound limit. If I reach this, I track religiously and cut back a little until they are gone. I stay diligent because I will not return to where I was.

Edited to add: I'm 46 years old, 5'7" tall, and eat 1700-2000 calories a day.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm only about a week into maintainence so not sure how it'll go yet. I did have a bit of a feast on my reaching goal day so have been making up for that :) I wish Christmas wasn't so close so I could see how I manage staying at 117lbs without tracking but that's going to have to wait till the new year I think.

Congratulations to the others that are at goal!
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since September - although trying to regain some muscle so happy for the scale to go up and inches go down! Personally I find maintenance harder than losing - I still haven't found my exact calories so working on increasing my intake and upping strength training in order to achieve this.

Would love other maintenance friends - I still find it hard getting my head around the fact that I can be at my goal everyday not have to be under it and having friends with the same goals is great motivation :smile:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to maintain...trying to find my magic number... I'm still losing, slowly.... but I'm eating like a horse.

I'll get it right soon.

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 pounds away from my goal. I am losing very very slowly . I like the way things are going now, since I am practically maintaining anyway I may just set my calories at a little more than my average is right now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!