let's hear it for maintainenance

Options

Replies

• NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bump...need to check the responses when I have more time. I've been struggling with this for a couple of months now.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Excellent advice! I am also working on maintenance. I say working on it because I don't think I've found my sweet spot just yet. Like others, I am afraid of upping calories, so am doing it slowly. I have lost some from my original goal, so kind of have some wiggle room if I do gain. I'm 5'10" and last time I checked was around 138. I exercise 5 days a week usually with mostly HIIT and cardio. I try to do some lifting when I can, but find it difficult without going to a gym.
  • rjacob1214
    rjacob1214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always choose to maintain during the holidays. Trying to lose, with all of the dinner parties, happy hours and lovely treats, it is just unrealistic for me to continue losing. That is a choice, or course.

I just stick to around the same calorie goal as when I'm trying to lose, with about a 300 cal wiggle room, and maintain at least 4 work outs a week. Maintaining is self control. If you don't have it, continue to log. If you do, than you'll be just fine.
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I it my goal of 170 in late September. Because of massive ours at work, I dropped to 162 a few weeks later. I have been maintianing since then.

It is nice to have that 8 pounds to play with. I am currently up to 165. I weigh myself once a week. It fluctuates a pound or two, up or down, every week. I just eat the way I want and stay within my calories. If I feel I gained too much weight, I adjust accordingly to get back down to my weight.
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later! I'm trying to do a metabolism reset so I've been eating at TDEE for about a week & have gained 3 lbs :-/ I'm sure it will come off when I start to cut again but I can definitely see how maintenance will be a challenge!!
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    My plan is to lose below goal so that I have room to gain while learning art of maintance. That's my plan :) we'll see how it works out when I get there, but love all the comments so far
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 pounds by my one year anniversary on MFP. I will be celebrating my 2nd MFP anniversary in two weeks. Solid maintenance for a year now. I would like to lose another 10 but I am pleased that I have held onto the loss with no gains and I'm eating more freely without logging food daily.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've been at goal since march. I'm 5'9" I bounce between 157 & 162 I weigh once per week n I'm 29 yes old. Its nice but still hard. I'm at a point where I want to tone up the jiggly areas but its hard to stay motivated when progress is so much slower n harder to notice. In clothes I look n feel great but not so loving the nude me... I still have days where I want to eat like there's no tomorrow n although my tastes have changed I still want sweets.. I have an addiction to sugar I fight against. I am almost 10 lbs below my goal n when I lose in big chunks I readjust my calories. I'm usually active but some weeks or months r less or more lol. I eat around 1800 to 1900 cals n am not at all strict about clean or raw diet... I just try to stay within calories eat food that I feel good about workout n get my protein to stay satisfied n build muscle. I am still learning...:-)
  • Sul3i
    Options
    maintain at least 4 work outs a week. Maintaining is self control. If you don't have it, continue to log. If you do, than you'll be just fine.

Agreed... maintaining is self control! If I stay active and busy I'm good! If I become a couch potato for more than a day forget it! I think for the most part for now I must log to stay on track.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My plan is to lose below goal so that I have room to gain while learning art of maintance. That's my plan :) we'll see how it works out when I get there, but love all the comments so far

I agree with the quote above completely. I hit my goal of 135, and upped my calories from 1200 to 1500 and make sure I exercise every day. My exercise is at least 50 - 70 minutes a day, with running 4 days out of the week.

I have been maintaining since 11/9/12 so a little more then a month and in that time, I not only maintained, but lost the additional 3 lbs.. My goal, as stated above is to drop to 127, why? Just because I think it would be very good for my frame and learning to maintain with a little room to learn. My new NEVER go over number is 132 lbs where I am now.

My height is 5' 3" and my current weight is 132. I
  • Sul3i
    Options
    Love this thread. I see that a few of you didn't like the very low calorie restrictive diet (I'm assuming 1200). I'm 5'2 174lbs my goal is to lose 44lbs. Any tips or suggestions? How much was your calorie intake when you were losing? I'm strongly considering increasing my calories to 1500.

I say raise it!! Maybe gradually.. for a week or two go to 1300 then 1350 n so on... see how u do
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • KimBeron
    KimBeron Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I as well have been maintaining since August finally reaching 136 lbs. I am currently 7 lbs lower than my goal weight, 129, since once I reached my goal after increasing my cals I still lost. I also decreased workout time which is awesome. It feels good to make time for other things that are important like quality time with my children and husband. Instead of constantly focusing on losing which was my main focus before. I did gradually increase my cals to maintenance adding 100 every month. I still carefully watch what I intake and make sure I exercise, this time I am determined to not get relaxed and lazy. I do not intend on gaining back that 37 lbs. So far so good, I haven't gained. I do monitor my weight daily, but the Thursday weigh in is the one that counts.

Currently, my focus is more toning. I do want the chiseled back and six pack. Almost there. I do enjoy more treats than before. Luckily, I still stay within my calorie goal for the most part. I have never reached my goal weight in the past. I always stopped at 140 lbs and stopped exercising and tracking food. Of course, before I found MFP. It feels awesome to have hung in there this time. With the help of my pals, of course. I got more than enough motivation.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good thread, will keep reading later, thanks. I want to lose 15 more pounds. I've been doing everything right but haven't lost weight in a month - I hope these last pounds will go away soon.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump for if i ever get there!
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump. excellent thread....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!