Knees clicking during squats

Options
2»

Replies

• Kaathmandu
    Options
    Yes, crepitus is just a name for the sound - also used for the crackling sound in lungs of asthmatics and the crunching of broken bones on each other :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer to see how your form is and go and see the doctor just to be on the safe side!
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Strangely I only notice it when I do body weight squats. Never heard it when I have 100+ pounds on my back. I'm going to have to listen tomorrow.

^^This! Seems like when I do my warm up sets for squats my knees pop/crack with every set. Once I get some good weight on there, they go quiet. I also notice I have to make sure I push my knees out both down and up on squats. If I start thinking about something else form wise and let them come in even a little, they crack/pop more.
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to get a lot of clicking in my knees just through everyday movement. It was actually painful to squat at all, eve without weights.

I saw a physio in the spring, which got me exercising my knees more, and the clicks went away.

Basically it was the muscles/tendons being too tight over my knee joints, and simply using them stretched them out.

If the problem persists, I'd get checked, but it'll probably clear up if you keep excercising properly.