Planet Fitness

13»

Replies

• I paid $1.00 down and $10.00 per month with a yearly fee of $28.00 which is charged in October. I just joined last month and I really like it so far. I have belonged to other gyms in the past and didn't really like going because of the weight lifters. They would hog all the weight machines and have over 100 lbs on them and get mad when you asked them to move their weights, even though they weren't using the machine at the time. PF is different. Anytime someone grunts loudly or drops weights, an alarm goes off and everyone looks at the person (which they call a lunk). It pretty much eliminates the musclehead behavior I was referring to. They also have a 30 minute circuit training area which is perfect for when you are running short on time. I would check it out. With my $10.00 membership, I am not under contract. Our PF just opened about a month and a half ago and they were running a special on that. You do have a contract with the $20.00 membership if I am not mistaken.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    PF is fine for many people. But a deadlift is a staple of almost every lifting program. It's not about powerlifting, it is the single most effective lift.

If they have dumbbells up to 60, that means you can DL up to 120, right? That's enough for a lot of people.

(Not me, I've PR'd to 250. :bigsmile: :tongue: )
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    60 pounds of free weights is NOT a lot, even for a woman. I lift more than that on almost every exercise. Do you have a LA Fitness around? That's what I use and they have a REAL collection of free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, and unlimited classes for $30/month.

what dumbell lifts are you doing that 60 lbs is not enough?

My PF has dumb bells up to 75 lbs. I've been to many gyms and i've only seen a handful of rather large men routinely use anything higher then that for any lift other then bench press or shrugs.

I can squat, deadlift, bench press, and do most lunge variants with over 60 pounds. So, since as far as I know there are NO barbells, I would have no alternative for any of these.

And I am not a meathead, body builder, or competitor. I have been lifting since July and I'm already up to these weights.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    60 pounds of free weights is NOT a lot, even for a woman. I lift more than that on almost every exercise. Do you have a LA Fitness around? That's what I use and they have a REAL collection of free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, and unlimited classes for $30/month.

My PF has dumb bells up to 75 lbs. I've been to many gyms and i've only seen a handful of rather large men routinely use anything higher then that for any lift other then bench press or shrugs.

I can squat, deadlift, bench press, and do most lunge variants with over 60 pounds. So, since as far as I know there are NO barbells, I would have no alternative for any of these.

And I am not a meathead, body builder, or competitor. I have been lifting since July and I'm already up to these weights.

I'm guessing you're not their target demographic.

ETA: I'm impressed with your bench. I've been lifting longer than you and can't seem to get over 105lbs. It's my most challenging lift.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member

well obviously 2 x 60 lbs dumbells = 120 so if you lung between 60 and 120 you should be fine.

Assume that you do lung 120 with the barbell, have you tried doing it dumbells? its quite a different excerise.

but i guess thats kind of your point, you can't do the exercises you want, exactly the way you want to do them. Believe that i know how frustrating that is lol.

I'm not saying its perfect or even good, but you can do something close to what you want to do most of the time.

most people do all the lifts you mentioned on the smith machine
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Thanks for all of the things to think about. I'm going to go check it out on Saturday. I was not planning to be a body builder or anything, but I have a lot of abdominal fat and lost a lot of muscle there when I was pregnant years and years ago. I just gain there and it comes off there last. I really want to work on getting that muscle back. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    I finally took the plunge and joined over a month and a half ago and I love it. I'm not having weight issues with the weight not being enough because to be honest I'm so out of shape and sedentary that sometimes 10 pounds on some of the machines makes me think my muscles are going to go on strike.

Thank you to everyone for all of the tips.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I think you should go back to the Y- they have a membership for all program that goes by your income. The classes are free- the Programs (gymnastics for example) you have to pay for. They have trainers, but i think they cost? They have a new program Activtrax that helps come up with a strength program for you based on your goals and a Strength Test. My Y is open 5am-9pm and i LOVE it!

FTR- With my hubbys work dscount (without the membership for all) and a family membership we pay $70/mnth.

How is that better than 24 hours a day for 10-20 a month?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    slickrocka wrote: »
    By my area i heard theres no dumbbells past 60, no grunting or dropping weights i guess that the "buzz thing", but my biggest issue is NO DEAD LIFTS AND NO BENCHING, as a guy who is serious about losing weight and putting muscle on i cant see why you would go there. I say its good only if you are not too serious and a good stepping stone before you go to Golds gym or Xsport. Not that you have to work your self up to those gyms.

Obviously this varies from location to location.

At my location there are LOTs of people benching.. and quite a few doing smith Deadlifts
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    I finally took the plunge and joined over a month and a half ago and I love it. I'm not having weight issues with the weight not being enough because to be honest I'm so out of shape and sedentary that sometimes 10 pounds on some of the machines makes me think my muscles are going to go on strike.

Thank you to everyone for all of the tips.

As with your thread about the treadmill and walking. Do the weights at your own pace. If 10lbs is heavy enough for you that is the weight you should be working with. Do up your weights and/or reps so you are continuously challenging your muscles.

If you can get a PT to design a full body plan for you and teach you the correct form. If you can't do that find a full body workout on line that you can follow.

People may tell you that machines are not the best, it's true they aren't- free weights recruit mode muscle, but if you are comfortable starting with machines that is what you start with. You can move to free weights at another time.

Cheers, h.