Pre-logging?

Options

Replies

• zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I pre-log things for later in the day as often as possible. I tend to find if I deviate from what I've logged it's a positive deviation - ie I might go for something a little healthier or just skip the chocolate (I prelog an after dinner chocolate just about every day, and I probably delete it 25% of the time)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Mostly.

Tonight, for example, I'm cooking up a big dish of nacho-mince. I'm eating half tonight, half tomorrow. Odds are, I'll compliment it with a sweet potato and some cottage cheese or Greek yoghurt, so I log those too. I also got some salmon out the fridge, because, well, I love salmon, and t goes pretty good with quinoa, asparagus and eggs. Day = planned.

However, on other occasions, I just make it up as I go along - today I felt liked sweet potato and fried eggs for breakfast, so I had it. And leftover goat for lunch. Depends on what I eat throughout the day, really, and if there's any leftovers.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I prelog because I cook most of my food for the week in advance since it's finals at uni right now. If I snack on something that I didn't plan on, I just add it! If I eat something entirely different it can be frustrating but I prelog nonetheless
  • janbez
    janbez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I somwtimes pre-log for planning purposes. but I rarely do exactly what I think I will do so I log in before I go to bed each night and make corrections.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I pre-log each evening for the following day. I put in breakfast and main meal as I usually have an idea of what I will be eating. Then I play around with different stuff I have in the house for lunch and snacks to get my macro numbers right. For instance if there is not enough protein I will fill rest of day with high protein if possible.

The main trick is whilst sticking mainly to this, be prepared to swap some things during the day if for instance your not so hungry at lunchtime, move something to supper or as a snack later. Only rule is to track changes.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the evening before bed I plan the next day. I like having a plan and not having to think about what I need to eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I pre-log *most* of what I eat. Sometimes my plans change and I have to go back and change it, but it really helps with being able to stick to my calorie goals.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    I usually go to the store on Sunday and log everything for the entire work week when I get back. Then I just look at my log in the morning and see what I get to eat for the day. :laugh:
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I pre-log! I do a menu for a week (or sometimes two) and fill in all my meals, then tweak the minor details during the actual day. I've gone from eating very badly and sporadically to having regular meals so this helps me massively.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I pre-log all the time. Its the best way for me not to go over.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    pre log and cook in bulk = success
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Not me. I litterally log all day even if it is like 2 M&M's. I find that I don't account for all food otherwise.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My first day back to work after a medical leave, I pre-logged. I was so worried about going back to bad habits and eating junk all day I used that to help me stay on track. If the next day(s) look like hell I'd probably pre-log then too.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I actually have my diary set up like this:

6am-11am
    11am-2pm
    2pm-5pm
    5pm-8pm
    8pm-12am
    Not Eaten Yet

And usually before I leave home for the day I pre-log what I plan on eating in the "Not eaten yet" section, then switch it to the right spot when the time comes. This has really helped me. I can see the calories and macros all laid out so I know first thing in the am if I need to make adjustments.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Funny I just saw this topic as I just got done pre logging my dinner tonight.

Heading out to a big Steak and Red Wine dinner with some good friends and I've been eating a bit light today to try and give myself enough calories.

So I thought I would look up the menu on line and then log my dinner. Good thing! If I had not done that I would have eaten 1,800 calories. but by adjusting my menu and portions I think I can bring it in at about 1,300 calories for dinner and still make my daily alotment.

I mean 1,300 is still going to be an awesome dinner with rich food and great wine but by slightly moderating it I'll keep myself on track.

So Pre Logging I think is awesome especialy if you are going to do a big meal as it helps you develop a plan ahead of time.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i ALWAYS try to pre-log. it not only helps with my food planning and work out planning, it helps me stick to it. if something changes, i delete it no big deal. it also helps me find wiggle room...
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do normally try to plan ahead. Sometimes I end up making changes but planning ahead definitely helps keep me on track!
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I often do this so I know what I can/should eat for dinner. I also pre-log if we're going out with friends. I use the nutritional guide from the restaurant (if available) so I know what to order.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I plan main meals before shopping then log night before as I tend to switch them . bfast very samey so only lunch needs tweaking I leave about 200 for snacks
  • Truetex4
    Truetex4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I look at logging my food daily as doing something for myself. It gives me time in the morning to sit down and think and also put my own day together. We are in such a fast paced society, that every minuet is for someone else and not us. Isn't about time we take the time for ourselves. My Grand Son Just had a heart attack at 18 years of age. It has definitely time to reflect on what is important or not. Good luck on your use of this program.

Romie from California