Mio?

Options

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Mio's key ingredient is propylene glycol, which is closely related to a key ingredient in anti-freeze. Not sure why you would really want to put this into your body.

I never eat anything that is closely related to anything bad
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was drinking the green Mio energy. There is nothing at all in nature that color, therefore it must be bad for you. Plus my husband thinks it is antifreeze. So far I have only grown 2 extra arms, but with 2 small kids and another on the way I see that as a benefit, not a bad thing...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mio's key ingredient is propylene glycol, which is closely related to a key ingredient in anti-freeze. Not sure why you would really want to put this into your body.

Oh woe and destruction!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Here is the ingredient list:

Water, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Malic Acid, Contains Less than 2% of Natural Flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium Citrate, Red 40, Blue 1, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).

What are you getting here? Propylene Glycol is a clear and slightly bitter liquid that is used to prevent discoloration of foods during storage. It has been shown to cause various diseases in animal studies when consumed in large quantities.

Acesulfame Potassium is a fake sweetener that is potentially carcinogenic.

“Natural Flavor” with fake colors to cause you to imagine the berries depicted on the package. Unfortunately those artificial colors may cause cancer and hyperactivity too.

Last but not least, potassium sorbate is a mold inhibitor – it allows this product to sit on a shelf for months.

So, Mio is a gobbledegook of chemicals designed to entice consumers, but mostly to increase Kraft profits. I will pass.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    These things are a terrible deal. They taste super strong, are 4 bucks, and are barely two sips!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Exactly. I cut back on salt because it's sodium (a very reactive metal !!!1!) and chlorine (a really poisonous gas !!).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Here is the ingredient list:

Water, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Malic Acid, Contains Less than 2% of Natural Flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium Citrate, Red 40, Blue 1, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).

What are you getting here? Propylene Glycol is a clear and slightly bitter liquid that is used to prevent discoloration of foods during storage. It has been shown to cause various diseases in animal studies when consumed in large quantities.

Acesulfame Potassium is a fake sweetener that is potentially carcinogenic.

“Natural Flavor” with fake colors to cause you to imagine the berries depicted on the package. Unfortunately those artificial colors may cause cancer and hyperactivity too.

Last but not least, potassium sorbate is a mold inhibitor – it allows this product to sit on a shelf for months.

So, Mio is a gobbledegook of chemicals designed to entice consumers, but mostly to increase Kraft profits. I will pass.

My thoughts exactly.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The thing I like to ask is "if there is no sugar, yet it changes how the water looks and tastes, what is it REALLY made of, and why the hell would I want to put that **** in my body?"

Seriously. It's not food, and your body doesn't want it to stay inside itself, so why put it there in the first place?

It's like Cheese Whiz. It's not cheese, so it must be whiz!

tumblr_m7hf9umrWI1qc4ih3.gif
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I loves the Intrawebs. So many opinions.

If you like Mio, use Mio. Probably won't kill you. What would be better is to learn to like plain water. I hated it for the first month, but now, I can drink it warm, cold, room temperature, whatever.

Of course, my preferred method of drinking water is filtered at 192F through freshly ground Arabica beans and sipped slowly from a solid, thick-walled china mug.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use Mio? I use it pretty frequently, but I'm wondering if I'm still getting the same health benefits as drinking plain water, or if I'm counteracting it. Has anyone heard any studies on it, noticed results, etc.?

I haven't tried it and I do not plan too. Too many artificial ingredients...

Have you tried adding lemon juice and/or truvia, instead? More natural, nearly zero cal, and probably cheaper in the long run.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Okay, my view is everything in moderation. Pros and cons. It makes you drink more water, that is a pro. It may make you more hungry because of false brain triggers set off by the artificial sweeteners, con. It has no calories, pro. It does contain chemicals, con.

So, do vitamins, most prescriptions, most cough syrups and other everyday pain relievers that you probably take like tylenol and alleve, it is also often inyour make up and can even be in your deoderant. So, unless you're going back to the cave man days and going to be totally paleo and NOTHING shall pass your lips but pure organic food and plain water... and you're going to stink and not use any modern hygenic products... I say, get over it. There will be chemicals in your life. Enjoy it, but use in moderation. I started to use too much of it and made myself back off to more plain water... but I do enjoy a few squeezes here and there.

As for the antifreeze comments, "The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors." And that is per the CDC directly. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=1121&tid=240
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I am more likely to die crossing the street then from a couple squirts of mio in my water.

Last time i checked the body itself produces some pretty harsh chemicals.
  • matt3695
    Options
    Just so you know the main ingredient in anti freeze is ethylene glycol not propylene glycol
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use Mio? I use it pretty frequently, but I'm wondering if I'm still getting the same health benefits as drinking plain water, or if I'm counteracting it. Has anyone heard any studies on it, noticed results, etc.?

By changing the color of your water with Mio, your body is no longer able to recognize it as water and won't process it the same as plain water. I'd avoid it

LOL
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Of course, my preferred method of drinking water is filtered at 192F through freshly ground Arabica beans and sipped slowly from a solid, thick-walled china mug.

FTW
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Interesting...not sure about it, but Mio helps my Fiance drink water-he hates plain water. I wonder, if it does change water, if it's worse to not drink water at all, or to drink it with Mio in it.

Look at those ingredients, many of them were not around in Paleolithic times, so our body never adapted to being able to process them. So drink plain water

mio-copy.jpg
    The 3rd ingredient listed on there, Propylene glycol, is anti-freeze. And that's why I don't use it anymore.
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I for one am not one to go all science based on what Mio is made of. For me personally I had a hard time getting away from soda's, which we all know are no good at all, and drinking more water. I can deal with plain water but it gets tiring sometimes so I use the store version of Mio because its cheaper and it helps break up the plain water all day long. I now drink about a gallon of water each day and of that gallon I have one or two glasses that have the Mio in it every day. I am a firm believer in moderation and balance and even with using the Mio my hydration levels have went from being in a chronic state of de-hydration to being very well hydrated. They check this as I go in for monthly check ups at the gym. I wouldn't suggest that you use it in every glass of water you drink but a few each day is working just fine for me.
  • matt3695
    Options
    Interesting...not sure about it, but Mio helps my Fiance drink water-he hates plain water. I wonder, if it does change water, if it's worse to not drink water at all, or to drink it with Mio in it.

Look at those ingredients, many of them were not around in Paleolithic times, so our body never adapted to being able to process them. So drink plain water

mio-copy.jpg
    The 3rd ingredient listed on there, Propylene glycol, is anti-freeze. And that's why I don't use it anymore.

So ill just post this again ethylene glycol is anti freeze not propylene glycol, if you dont believe me just look it up in any chemistry book
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Strong logic and reasoning skills. Are you a detective?