Biggest Loser - Kid's edition

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    I think there are already some kids on the upcoming season, right?
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    I saw the trailer with that on, I'm quite interested tbh. I heard that each team is getting a child (i.e each trainer is getting a child) but they will not be weighed publicly or take part int he challenges?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    I like the Biggest Loser.
    Could be interesting, I suppose.
  • That's disgusting.
    Pray, tell. What aspect of this new show is disgusting?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    That's disgusting.

Maybe she's talking about my gunt? :sad:
  • That's disgusting.
    Is it hilarious?
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    After reading what some of the contestants have gone through in this show, it's disturbing that there's a kids edition now
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    When does it start? Jillian is back!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    That's disgusting.
    Is it hilarious?

Not AS hilarious as the sweater meat. Can't lie.

And for the record, I've seen one episode ever of Biggest Loser, years ago... I don't really remember it. I just find putting any child with a weight problem on television is a screwed up idea.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Thought everyone should have the correct information about how they will be doing this before people slam the show. I think it is a great idea and will be highly motivating for the younger generation.

"With the childhood obesity epidemic at an alarming, all-time high, jeopardizing the health of kids and future generations, "The Biggest Loser" is committed to tackling this critical issue by featuring children this season to serve as ambassadors of change who can inspire kids all over the country to get healthy. The focus for the kids will be on getting healthy rather than numbers on a scale, so they will not be eligible for elimination and will not weigh in on camera. They will work at both the ranch and at home, and their progress will be featured in every episode.

This season's 15 contestants will be divided into three teams -- supervised by trainers Harper, Michaels and Quince. Each trainer and team of five adults will be paired with one child participant who will compete with and contribute to their respective teams.

Working closely with the children this season will be Dr. Joanna Dolgoff, a childhood obesity expert and pediatrician whose book "Red Light, Green Light, Eat Right" features the child-friendly healthy eating plan the kids will follow. Along with the trainers and the "Biggest Loser" medical staff, the kids will follow an age-appropriate program that will help them get healthy, achieve their personal goals and transform their lives during the course of the season."
  • I hope they involve the entire family and not just the kid(s), teaching them all how to live a healthier life and workouts that are age appropriate.

But it's "Biggest Loser". Nothing healthy about it.

I don't watch the show. I'm just saying, because it involves kids, my hope is that they teach them and their parents how to begin to live a healthy lifestyle and not some quick fix for entertainment value....
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    I don't have a *what about the kids?* attitude. I don't care what other people let their kids do or not.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    It could go either way. I would hope it would focus on education and being active. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Before I started MFP, I desperately wanted to go on the show, thinking it would just be life changing. But having been a solid user of this site, I think that it's more advantageous to actually explore what made your lifestyle unhealthy in the first place, and then teach realistic tools to help you achieve your goals. If any of the previous seasons is anything to go by, trapping people on a ranch in isolation and having them workout in extreme excesses is not real life, and hardly sustainable outside of that specific environment. I'm not sure how well that will work on teenagers.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    After reading what some of the contestants have gone through in this show, it's disturbing that there's a kids edition now

Not as disturbing as being an Ottawa Senators fan. :tongue:

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I've been inspired by some of the contestants on the show and their lives that I have followed after TBL. Sure there are a few that have had bad experiences and some that have gained the weight back. But that's the same as in real life. Not everyone on MFP will lose their weight and keep it off.

Bottom line is that it's TV, and really it's no different than The Bachelor, or Survivor or Big Brother. If it encourages people to eat healthy and exercise, especially youth in America and Canada with extremely high obesity rates, where is the harm??

Just my OP. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    hmmmm kids on a reality show....not so sure about that and like one poster said, it has to be a family thing

A 9 y.o. isn't the one buying groceries or the controlling video game / tv time. That's up to the parents.

I have a little girl (obviously) who's almost 6 - we don't generally have snack foods in the house. We have baby carrots and apples if she wants a snack. She doesn't cook dinner, I do. Thankfully I have a weirdo child who loves fruits and vegetables without anything to dip them in.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    That's disgusting.

Let's not forget what the motivation is behind any major network TV show...ratings and $$$. Exploiting children to make a buck is disgusting no matter how you look at it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    That's disgusting.

Let's not forget what the motivation is behind any major network TV show...ratings and $$$. Exploiting children to make a buck is disgusting no matter how you look at it.
    Yup. That's my main objection.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    That's disgusting.

I agree. Kids are cruel. Putting a child on the Biggest Loser is setting them up for ridicule from their classmates from now until high school graduation. If they can't keep the weight off, they will be condemned for it. If they manage to keep the weight off, they will still always be that kid that went on the Biggest Loser.
  • That's disgusting.
    Yes, god forbid any entertainment be created that includes children, or is designed for children, where the person producing the entertainment generates any revenue. WE NEED TO BAN DISNEY CHANNEL AND ANY OTHER NETWORK THAT INCLUDES CHILDREN IN ANY OF ITS PROGRAMMING!

:huh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    That's disgusting.
    Yes, god forbid any entertainment be created that includes children, or is designed for children, where the person producing the entertainment generates any revenue. WE NEED TO BAN DISNEY CHANNEL AND ANY OTHER NETWORK THAT INCLUDES CHILDREN IN ANY OF ITS PROGRAMMING!

:huh:

It's the reality aspect of it that is harmful.