I love smoking.

Options
I quit smoking today. But I really didn't want to. I like to smoke. I don't only smoke because I'm addicted to the nicotine, but because I simply enjoy it. Yeah, it stinks and makes you a social outcast, but honestly I don't care. I love smoking.

To be honest, my motivation for quitting isn't to live longer and be healthier. My motivation to quit is that it's easier for me to work out and lose weight when I don't smoke and because I'll save more money.

Anyone else in that boat?

Replies

• MandiSuppes
    Options
    I am right there with you. I quit smoking 25 days ago and like you, I loved smoking. I quit because 1: It's quite difficult to be active when you can't breathe, 2: I don't want to be stinky anymore, 3: I want to set a good example for my kids, 4: I'm on a mission to become the healthiest person I can be.

I've been allowing myself a cheat cigarette every once and a while, but that's something that I can live with at this point.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I can't even do the cheat cigarette because I'm on chantix which basically ruins the taste and effect. :frown:
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nope I am not in that boat. But good on you for quitting smoking. Great that you have some kind of motivation to quit though. I quit a year and a half ago and I will never go back to it. I used to think I loved smoking as well. Like you my motivation wasn't to stop wasn't to be healthier but that came. My motivation initially came from not spending money on cigarettes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in September...like you, I loved smoking...didn't really want to quit smoking, but it was killing me. I was at 2 packs/day and smoking for 20 years and was finally feeling the ill effects. I didn't really want to quit, but at the same time, I did..for my health and for my kids. I went the harm reduction strategy and use an e-cig. None of the nastiness, but I still can puff on something.
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I only smoke very occasionally. I enjoy it when I do, but 1 pack can last me over two months, and sometimes, I just don't finish the thing and give it away to another smoker friend.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm not in that boat, but I congratulate you on quitting!

If saving money is a motivator for you - put all the money you used to spend on cigarettes into a special savings account. Save it up for something special! Tape a picture of that something special right where you can see it.
  • coe28
    Options
    I hope you're right Shell because I don't want to battle this forever. I've been trying to quit for YEARS and I'm tired of the whole process. Obviously the reason I fail is that I do like to smoke so much so I just keep going back to it.

Wolfman, how's that e-cig work out for you? I've had a couple people recommend it but I'm skeptical...
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I quit, quite simply, because of the cost...I didn't want to, but I had to...and I DID enjoy it but I enjoy being a NON smoker now, a year and four months later :) Good luck!
  • CyndiLuHughes
    CyndiLuHughes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have quit smoking at least a dozen times....good luck! I still haven't quit yet, but will be giving it another go Jan 1st! My reasons are the same....to make it easier to breathe when working out and save money!
  • coe28
    Options
    I'm not in that boat, but I congratulate you on quitting!

If saving money is a motivator for you - put all the money you used to spend on cigarettes into a special savings account. Save it up for something special! Tape a picture of that something special right where you can see it.

I'm doing exactly that! Saving up to buy a house in March :happy:

ETA: Not that I smoke so much that the savings would buy a house, but that is where the extra money is going... :wink:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was in that boat. Many, many ruined quit attempts because I thought I was in that boat.

I read the Easyway to Quit Smoking by Allan Carr and realized I wasn't in that boat. Finished the book, put out my last cigarette and haven't missed them since. I remember chantix costing a lot . . . the book is less than ten bucks. Check it out, it may help.
  • maritza140
    Options
    I love your candor and honesty. Why do we do the things we do and why do we get addicted to doing them? Because we like it. I've never been a smoker, so I don't have your situation, but congratulations for doing it. From what I've heard from former smokers is that after a while, you will actually not enjoy even the smell anymore. It's a hard battle, but stick to it, you'll be giving yourself the best Christmas gift ever: potentially many more year of life!
  • coe28
    Options
    I only smoke very occasionally. I enjoy it when I do, but 1 pack can last me over two months, and sometimes, I just don't finish the thing and give it away to another smoker friend.

This is what I would like to eventually get to. I don't want to think that I'll never be able to smoke again. I'd like to be able to have a smoke when I have a couple drinks and not end up right back at my pack-a-day again.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm with you 100%. I love smoking. I had quit for about two months with the help of Chantix. Over the past month or so I've picked it up again :-/ I injured my leg and wasn't able to really workout for about two weeks, and told myself, "I'll just smoke while I'm not able to workout.." DUMBEST idea ever. But yeah...the only reason I wanted to quit in the first place was so I could take in full breaths while working out and not feel like I was gonna die lol. Ugh....I want a cigarette now. :smokin:

Edit: For the two months that I did "quit", I still allowed myself around 2-3 cigs per weekend. It never went past that or carried over into the weekdays. I'd love to get back to that point!
  • CyndiLuHughes
    CyndiLuHughes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just saw the e-cig comment...Uh, if it wasn't for that thing...I would have ended up in jail! Seriously, get it! I really does help! I got the re usable kind because it ends up being cheaper in the long run. I think it was $40 for the whole kit and you do need to have a few batteries...but the liquid is like $8 and that lasts me about a month...
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I also love smoking.

I quit because I was SOOOOOO tired of being out of breath when I was exercising! I wish I could say that I have completely quit...but this past week, I had a cigarette after a workout on the day before my rest day. I knew it wouldn't really affect my workout the next day!

I've tried the e-cigarette. It's okay. It's a nice fix when you want it (longgggggggg car rides :))

Good luck!!
  • coe28
    Options
    I used to think I was in that boat. Many, many ruined quit attempts because I thought I was in that boat.

I read the Easyway to Quit Smoking by Allan Carr and realized I wasn't in that boat. Finished the book, put out my last cigarette and haven't missed them since. I remember chantix costing a lot . . . the book is less than ten bucks. Check it out, it may help.

I have heard that book is a pretty big deal. I'll have to look into it. Chantix is very expensive and for me, once I'm done with the pills I go right back to smoking. So it's only effective while I'm actually on it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The smell of cigarettes on your breath and clothes is repulsive to non-smokers. You don't even realize how disgusting it is until you haven't smoked for a long time. I smoked for 5 years and I quit cold turkey. To this day, I am disgusted by the smell of it on people I work with. Quitting sucks and it hurts and there's no easy way that I know of around it. Some people, maybe half as far as I can tell from personal experience, quit with chantix. It didn't get easier until about a year after I smoked my last one and I still wanted one now and then two years out.
  • coe28
    Options
    I just saw the e-cig comment...Uh, if it wasn't for that thing...I would have ended up in jail! Seriously, get it! I really does help! I got the re usable kind because it ends up being cheaper in the long run. I think it was $40 for the whole kit and you do need to have a few batteries...but the liquid is like $8 and that lasts me about a month...

In jail?!?! LOL! Ok, maybe I should put this thing on my Christmas list along with that book!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have heard that book is a pretty big deal. I'll have to look into it. Chantix is very expensive and for me, once I'm done with the pills I go right back to smoking. So it's only effective while I'm actually on it.

I did chantix and started up within a couple of weeks of stopping the medication. It may work for you though, don't give up! But I didn't have luck with anything (and I tried everything except hypno) until I read that book.