New Year's Resolutions - what's yours?

Options
HealthyGinny
HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
Hi! :)

My name's Ginny, I'm 24. I don't usually post new topics on the boards (I've only posted one before) simply because I don't think I have anything interesting to say, haha.

But I've wanted to talk (write?) about New Year's Resolutions for a while now. I hear a lot of people around me saying they won't make any resolutions this year because nobody stick to them anyway and it's a waste of time. Well, I disagree. I'm the kind of person who actually needs a clear starting point. When I say "I'll start Monday", it's not an excuse to delay anything, it's not because I'm lazy, it's because I like to start afresh. Usually, it works for me. Waking up and telling myself "girl, it's a new week, time to change things up" really motivates me to start/stop/change something in my life.

I think that's why New Year's Resolutions kinda work with me.

On December, 31st, 2011, I made the resolution to finally get on a diet and start shedding the weight I've always wanted to see gone. The resolution stuck but also turned into a better one: to lose weight by getting healthy and changing my whole lifestyle. I've started counting calories, reading articles on what foods were good for me, started exercising, found mfp, got in touch with wonderful people who had the same state of mind as myself, cut back on wheat, processed foods and refined sugars, started drinking tea and reducing my coffee intake, and increased my water intake a good deal.

My goal for December, 31st, 2012 is to be at the middle of my ticker so that I can be proud of myself and be able to say I've lost half the weight I wanted to lose one year ago. I'm actually doing a kind of "No Weigh-In December" because I tend to obsess over the number on the scale and it started to drive me insane so for the last month of 2012, I decided to go scale-free and weigh myself on the 31st. But I've been doing good so far and I have a good feeling about it so I think this goal is achievable.

My New Resolution for 2013 will be to have a year as good as 2012 weightloss-wise and health-wise so that on December, 31st, 2013, my Resolution might be to keep up my healthy lifestyle and just maintain my weight for the first time in my life :) I actually can't wait to make this year's resolution and know it's not empty promises.

I also wanted to say that if you hear somebody around you making a New Year's Resolution, even if you don't believe it'll work, even if you think it's ridiculous, maybe try not to make fun of them or shoot them down? Maybe, this time, it'll work? Maybe it'll be worth it? And maybe, we all need to believe we can do it once in a while even if it's sounds silly.

I'd really like to know what you think about New Year Resolutions and if you're going to make one, what will it be this year? :)

PS: sorry about the grammar and spelling, I'm French!

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    New Years resolutions are my FAVORITE THING! I always try and make ones I think I will accomplish (solve a rubiks cube, learn to knit, eat more tomatoes...I still hate all of those things but it did them!)

New years resolutions:

1) Hand-stand Push-ups.
    This may actually take ALLL YEAR because I can't even do a hand stand.

2) Splits (both ways)

3) Pull-ups. Real ones. All the ways to grip the bar. Legs up, down, sides. I want to do pull-ups!!!!
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    New Years resolutions are my FAVORITE THING! I always try and make ones I think I will accomplish (solve a rubiks cube, learn to knit, eat more tomatoes...I still hate all of those things but it did them!)

New years resolutions:

1) Hand-stand Push-ups.
    This may actually take ALLL YEAR because I can't even do a hand stand.

2) Splits (both ways)

3) Pull-ups. Real ones. All the ways to grip the bar. Legs up, down, sides. I want to do pull-ups!!!!

Those are GREAT Resolutions!! Good luck with them :))
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. got me thinking.

How about:

1) Drop body fat from 25% to 20%

2) Learn to crochet

3) Pull ups (Stealing this because I've never been able to do them :blushing:)
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My New Year's Resolutions for 2013 are:

1) To finish my master's degree
    2) To run a 5K without stopping
    3) To finish saving up for a bigger house
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    Hmm.. got me thinking.

How about:

2) Learn to crochet

Haha, I kinda want to steal the "splits" one :p
    Good luck!
  • jordanlell
    Options
    Oh, one more:

4) Maintain AT LEAST a 3.5 GPA
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    My New Year's Resolutions for 2013 are:

1) To finish my master's degree
    2) To run a 5K without stopping
    3) To finish saving up for a bigger house

Just finished my Master's Degree, it was actually one of my resolutions last year! Good luck :)
  • jordanlell
    Options
    Hmm.. got me thinking.

How about:

2) Learn to crochet

Haha, I kinda want to steal the "splits" one :p
    Good luck!

I thought of stealing that one as well.. I could do with being more flexible, but I thought one steal was enough.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Get under 100 pounds

Complete 2 ultra running races, 2 multi day cycling events and run a marathon or two for fun and also hope get a sub 3hr 110km road cycling race time...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I will not go off on idiots who post stupid **** on forums in 2013.

I give it 10 minutes.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I want to run a 5k in 2013. Maybe the color run? I'm not sure. Are there any 5k's others would recommend?
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Well.. Since I'm already losing weight, I don't want my new years resolution to be something that I'm already working on. So my New Years Resolution for 2013 is to learn something new. Like a new skill, or find a new hobby. I'm thinking maybe sewing.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this. Some are fitness related, some are not.

1. Date night at least ONCE a month with my husband.
    2. Get down to my goal weight.
    3. Get out and about more... (since I like to stay at home alot)
    4. Get all my daughters picture books up to date.
    5. Finish my grad cert. in HR.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Be nice to people on the MFP forums
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    mine is to not let myself down...its usually a little after xmas that i lose motivation! ive come so far but still have a VERY long way to go! my aim is to lose the last 38pounds before i go to stay with my sister in america for thanks giving 2013 xx
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Now that I have been able to prove to myself that I CAN stick to my guns and reach goals I actually wrote a goal list in april of this year..

By April 1, 2013 this is what I want to achieve;

-See 199 (-29lbs)
    -Be able to ride 50 consecutive miles on a bicycle
    -Reach my goal weight of 170 by January 1,2014
    -Buy my first ever pair of jeans that doesn't have double digits
    -Be able to bench press 300+ lbs
    - Go on a 3+ mile hike

Some of the things I wrote on this list that I have been able to cross off:
    - No fast food for 3 consecutive months (Last fast food was August 25 and I Haven't had any from that day on!)
    -Buy my first bra from Victoria's Secret- Achieved, and I am even getting to small for it!
    -Bought my first ever item of clothing from Aeropostale and could fit into an xl

I know I will not reach all of my goals by April 1st, however, I'll be damned if I don't fight my hardest.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I want to run a 5k in 2013. Maybe the color run? I'm not sure. Are there any 5k's others would recommend?

COLOR ME RAD !!! It's fantastic and very similar to the Color Run, but I've heard from people that have done both that Color Me Rad is better.

Also, I did Color Me Rad and it's soooo much fun! I'm actually wearing my shirt today! haha
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I actually don't have any new years resolutions...it makes it like there is too much pressure to complete them! I take life one day at a time, and change what needs to be changed, but I don't think you should pick one day of the year to pick what you want to change about yourself for the next year...events happen that will change your goals for the year and the resolutions
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had my annual exam last year on 12/5, and that's the day I decided to make my changes. It's not exactly New Years, but it was a specific date, and when I came back around to that date this year, I renewed my commitment to my health. I think having a specific date is a fine idea, it seems to help me. I'm thinking on resolutions I want to make, and haven't decided on any quite yet. But I think I will make some this year.

This was a great post, and your spelling and grammar seemed fine to me. :)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've already started on a couple of mine....

1) Quit smoking (I'm about 1 week into this one).
    2) Get my Personal Trainer Certificate - I'm registered for a seminar Jan. 26th & 27th!
    3) Reduce my body fat from 25% to 20% (I swear I'm not stealing this! It really IS my goal!)
    4) Get certified to teach at least ONE more format that I currently teach (Kickboxing and/or Barre)

Last year it was:
    1) To get to 145 pounds (a loss of 17 lbs.). I'm ONE POUND away!!! (with only 3 weeks to go!)
    2) Get a gym membership and go at least 3X/week.
    3) To become certified to teach at least one fitness class - Feb. 24th I became licensed to teach Zumba! I started teaching in April.

I had never made New Year's Resolutions previously because I found that I never stuck with them. Last year I decided to do anything it took - and I have. Once I realized how much FUN it was to actually achieve these goals! :)