Need a better way to Gain weight

Options
I'm still new here and I can definitely use help! I have a real problem gaining weight, I know this is not the norm for this site, but I know others have the same goal as myself.
I'm 6', 147lbs and my goal is to reach 165lbs. If I miss a meal I lose 1lb. Even on days that I meet my goal I sometimes lose weight.
I try to get 3000 cals and 150g protein in daily. So, what am asking is for help. Feeding myself has become a chore, I can use some advice on a better way to bring my calories up. I know about peanut butter (1/2 cup daily), protein shakes and so on...anything I can lean would be beneficial.
This a great place and thank you for the help in advanced.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - full fat everything (no low fat/low sugar)
    - full fat milk and other dairy
    - ice-cream
    - nuts and seeds, and nut and seed butters
    - pasta
    - butter/oil/dressing
    - pizza
    - bacon
    - avocados
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your fat intake is too low
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    - ice-cream
    - pasta
    - butter/oil/dressing
    - pizza
    - bacon
    - avocados

^^I agree with this. Also add drmerc he is very knowledgeable in this area.:flowerforyou:
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Full-fat everything. Don't skimp on butter/oil. Drink milk/juice instead of water. Switch to a thicker-sliced bread - you feel like you're eating the same amount, but it's actually a lot more. You can find some delicious 7-grain breads with big, thick slices that are 150+ cals/slice.

And if you're meeting your goals and still losing/not gaining, get checked for a thyroid or malabsorption issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - ice-cream
    - pasta
    - butter/oil/dressing
    - pizza
    - bacon
    - avocados

Yup...also, do you do a lot of running, biking, or other cardio and endurance training? If so, you might want to cut back on that...maybe focus on some heavy lifting to put on some muscle mass. Once upon a time, before I let myself go to total ****, I had the same problem. I did a lot of endurance stuff and just couldn't gain weight and had difficulty maintaining weight. Once I started doing more heavy lifting and less endurance exercises I started putting on muscle mass and gaining weight...then I stopped doing anything and turned into a big fat *kitten*.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    eat a ton of meat and dairy
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm still new here and I can definitely use help! I have a real problem gaining weight, I know this is not the norm for this site, but I know others have the same goal as myself.
    I'm 6', 147lbs and my goal is to reach 165lbs. If I miss a meal I lose 1lb. Even on days that I meet my goal I sometimes lose weight.
    I try to get 3000 cals and 150g protein in daily. So, what am asking is for help. Feeding myself has become a chore, I can use some advice on a better way to bring my calories up. I know about peanut butter (1/2 cup daily), protein shakes and so on...anything I can lean would be beneficial.
    This a great place and thank you for the help in advanced.

I'm not trying to gain weight, rather trying to lose—but I can definitely relate to the "chore" aspect of it. Planning and making sure you hit your macros is definitely a chore. So, you're not alone!

I read some interesting articles during the olympics this year about what those athletes do to keep their calories up—because, as you know, they're burning insane amounts during training. I'd say take a look at what they're doing for ideas.

Other than that, find foods that are low-volume and high-calorie. Avocados are great. Ice cream. Whole eggs. Basically everything Sarauk2sf said.

Wishing you luck!! My husband is in the same boat as you, so I know how hard it is. Easy to say "just eat more" but it's not easy to do. Probably just as hard if not harder than eating less!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day)

or eat lots of Latkes
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    Go heavy on protein and carbs. A lot has to do with your workout routine, too.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to bulk up muscle, mind how to do it. So many bodybuilders will go through bulking and cutting cycles, and at the end of a bulk they have gained a lot of weight on their midsection, without really packing on muscle.

They eat as many carbs as they want, and just try and stuff it in. Think more along the lines of smart food, lots of protein and fats, and keep the carbs moderate. If you want to see bigger gains in muscle I have to recommend anything with creatine in it, it's one of the only supplements out there to have shown measurable results in helping guys on a workout regimen gain lean mass.

I assume that you're trying to gain muscle mass and not just "weight". Think more in terms of a bodyfat percentage, which is your total mass divided by your lean mass. if your curent bodyfat percentage stays the same, but your lean mass goes up, the ratio will change.

MOAR PROTEIN, MOAR FAT! moderate carbs. Seriously, eat a stake. Take some creatine, and go lift heavy stuff, as much weight as you can in the 8-10 rep range.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    There is always room for icecream
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you opened your journal...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    There is always room for icecream

Preach!
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    Fat intake is 100-200g daily
  • burning2much
    Options
    Thanks all, you guys are great!
    I opened my food (or whatever)...like I said, pretty new to this. Please review and then let me know. I say away from a lot of dairy and I eat a low carb diet, I carb out 1-2 times weekly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I opened my food (or whatever)...like I said, pretty new to this. Please review and then let me know. I say away from a lot of dairy and I eat a low carb diet, I carb out 1-2 times weekly.

Why are you doing low carb if you are trying to gain?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Why are you doing low carb if you are trying to gain?

Dun dun DUN!

There's always a catch to these "i can't gain weight" threads.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    - ice-cream
    - pasta
    - butter/oil/dressing
    - pizza
    - bacon
    - avocados

Yup...also, do you do a lot of running, biking, or other cardio and endurance training? If so, you might want to cut back on that...maybe focus on some heavy lifting to put on some muscle mass. Once upon a time, before I let myself go to total ****, I had the same problem. I did a lot of endurance stuff and just couldn't gain weight and had difficulty maintaining weight. Once I started doing more heavy lifting and less endurance exercises I started putting on muscle mass and gaining weight...then I stopped doing anything and turned into a big fat *kitten*.

I *gained* weight when I started doing serious running and biking. I finally was hungry enough to eat a LOT, and, well, I grew giant leg muscles.

This might be different for women, though, because I probably had like 0 muscle mass prior to that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Actually, I just took a look at your diary - your protein looks pretty low. I would try to get more protein in and not try to restrict carbs.
  • burning2much
    Options
    That's the diet I'm working with. I stay lean and tone. To many carbs for me are not good, not at my age and the same goes with too much dairy (although I do have ice cream now and again)