Need a better way to Gain weight

Options
2»

Replies

• eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, you guys are great!
    I opened my food (or whatever)...like I said, pretty new to this. Please review and then let me know. I say away from a lot of dairy and I eat a low carb diet, I carb out 1-2 times weekly.

Why are you doing low carb if you are trying to gain?

Dun dun DUN!

There's always a catch to these "i can't gain weight" threads.

!!!

I can't even imagine eating 3,000 calories on low-carb. I'm actually pretty impressed, but not surprised you are bored with food!
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    All I do is weight training, nothing else at the momment
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That's the diet I'm working with. I stay lean and tone. To many carbs for me are not good, not at my age and the same goes with too much dairy (although I do have ice cream now and again)

Do you have medical condition that means you need to stay away from dairy or carbs?
  • AlyssaMarchuk
    Options
    I am a very petite woman and I have trouble gaining weight. I am still pretty young so my metabolism is still in full force. I have never been a big eater but I recently had a child and I am need of some extra energy and a healthy lifestyle. I would really like to begin a high calorie diet and also find the right foods to make sure I am staying healthy and energetic. I would also like to start working out again. I stopped because I was loosing weight but I would like to find a work out routine that helps maintain weight and gain muscle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To gain weight, I assume because you want to gain muscle, you will have to eat at a surplus which means that you will gain some fat and some muscle. It's inevitable. Keeping with a diet that keeps you 'lean and tone' is counter-indicative to that.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Shut. Up.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible :wink:
  • burning2much
    Options
    This has been my life since I was a kid, my body and metabolism are about the same. I just saw the Doc and he did some blood work and said clean bill, just same burning rate. Thanks guys, I'll work on the diet, just need to do more research. I just want to reach 165
  • burning2much
    Options
    Thanks, looks interesting. I see the part on the protein. That for me is a tough one too, I try to get in 120-150g daily and I've been told to get in 1.5g per lb. It's just work, and I'd like to have a life outside food.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Did you check for hyperthyroidism ? It's hard to say from your pic but are your eyes sunken ? Do you have a very high resting heart rate ?
    The other explanation I could think of is a parasite that prevents proper digestion. Those are quite rare so can be missed by the average GP.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    All I do is weight training, nothing else at the momment

What do your workouts consist of? What weight did you start lifting in the big 3, and what weight are you now?

Bench press, Squat, Deadlift?

I started In september, and my starting squat was a pathetic 90 pounds, 2 months later I did 225x10
    Deadlift was about the same, around 200x10
    Bench press with dumbbells = 50 in each hand 10 reps
    bench press with barbell 135x8

My starting bench was like, 20lbs in each hand and 60lbs on a barbell.

Focus more on performance, on increasing the weight. If you try and set weight goals for yourself, your muscles will HAVE to grow in order to keep up with your achievement. That above should give you some kind of idea what you should look for as far as strength builds.

From here on I know that increasing the weight will go much slower.

What weight did you start with and where are you now? Where would you like to be?
  • burning2much
    Options
    He did check for that, that was the first thing he mentioned. He took a battery of tests, all came back clear with the acception of D was low.
  • burning2much
    Options
    I do 3 sets of all workouts
    Bicep curls 40lb
    first form Tri extensions 35-40lb
    second for 20lb

Daily sit ups and leg lifts
    Daily push ups 60-100

Leg extensions 150lb
    Sitting squats 150lb
    Lunges with 40lb

Shoulders
    25lb for all except front lift

Note: I'm not looking to get big I just need the weight to be proportional to my height
    All this typing....I need to go and eat something again.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • burning2much
    Options

I'll look into it, thanks
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Note: I'm not looking to get big I just need the weight to be proportional to my height

Are you starring for a movie role? or trying to fit a modeling agency's chart requirements? I would be much less concerned with a height/weight ratio that comes from a pimple faced kid doing calculations in a spreadsheet as opposed to how you LOOK (and whether you are satisfied or not) and FEEL.
  • burning2much
    Options

Are you starring for a movie role? or trying to fit a modeling agency's chart requirements? I would be much less concerned with a height/weight ratio that comes from a pimple faced kid doing calculations in a spreadsheet as opposed to how you LOOK (and whether you are satisfied or not) and FEEL.

I don't know if you noticed, but I'm 48. I'm not going to make drastic changes to my shape or diet to satisfy anyones opinion of me. Your comment is not positive in any way. And truth be told, I've taken care of my body my whole life, the way I eat to my life style. Be positive for others or don't comment.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    From looking at your posts, I think you could do with changing your mindset on a couple of fronts:

Firstly with your diet. You need to get more protein into your day, if you are concerned with food taking over all your time, try looking at supplementing with mass gainer type shakes. They are a good mix of protein and carbs and are very calorie dense.

Secondly, I think you could make your training a lot more effective by focusing on hitting the large muscle groups and not worrying about isolation exercises.

Try sticking to (or at least incorporating the big foundation movements:
    Squat
    Deadlifts (regular of straight legged variety)
    Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    Overhead Press
    Pullups

These should form the foundation of your routine, either doing the whole lot three times a week, or splitting them up with some supporting exercises. Aim for three sets of 8-12 reps.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    lol... McDonald's man!!
  • burning2much
    Options
    From looking at your posts, I think you could do with changing your mindset on a couple of fronts:

Firstly with your diet. You need to get more protein into your day, if you are concerned with food taking over all your time, try looking at supplementing with mass gainer type shakes. They are a good mix of protein and carbs and are very calorie dense.

Secondly, I think you could make your training a lot more effective by focusing on hitting the large muscle groups and not worrying about isolation exercises.

Try sticking to (or at least incorporating the big foundation movements:
    Squat
    Deadlifts (regular of straight legged variety)
    Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    Overhead Press
    Pullups

These should form the foundation of your routine, either doing the whole lot three times a week, or splitting them up with some supporting exercises. Aim for three sets of 8-12 reps.

Thank you, this is something I will look into. Most of my workouts are done at home, although I will be joining a gym at the start of the year, so hopefully I can get a better routine in. Thanks again for taking the time.