Is rice good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Kay203
    Kay203 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I live in Asia and eat white sticky rice every single day. Usually for both lunch and dinner (although lunch is sometimes steamed white rice). Since moving here less than a year ago I have managed to lose weight steadily. It's all about what you eat with the rice to stay within your calorie and nutrient goals. It helps me feel more full so I eat less in between meals.
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    All this talk about white rice and brown rice, you know what's missing from the list? RED rice. I grew up in Sri Lanka eating red and white rice and dozens of different curries all doused generously with coconut milk and oil. I was so thin that I was regularly called "stick and bones". All the weight gain came after I moved to Europe.

*Sigh* Now I'm hungry. I need to go make myself some milk rice with coconut milk again (red rice with real coconut milk). Absolutely heavenly.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It is a calorie dense food so depends on how much you eat ;)

Why do people keep saying this?

100 grams of plain rice (which is a decent serving, enough for 1 meal for me at least) isn't even 150 calories. Hardly calorie dense.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It is a calorie dense food so depends on how much you eat ;)

Why do people keep saying this?

100 grams of plain rice (which is a decent serving, enough for 1 meal for me at least) isn't even 150 calories. Hardly calorie dense.

agreed. I can't see how anything that low in fat can be calorie dense. I think the issue is people have no idea how much a serving is.
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We eat rice everyday. If not lunch and dinner, at least for dinner. Rice filled me up longer and I don't feel satisfy w/o it. We would eat steamed white rice combination with our dish of protein and vegetables. Our soup also includes meat and vegetables. Portion control what matter. Can't live without white rice.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Food including rice doesn't make you fat, calorie surplus does.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I am Puerto Rican so I eat rice and beans almost everyday.. I don't think that is what made me gain weight. I'm sure it was all the pizza wings and beer. So white rice I give it the Puerto Rican stamp of approval lol
    And so is Mexipino stamp of approval. I'm Mexican-Filipino and so I came from a country that eat beans (particularly in Mexico) and rice (both).
  • teedelbub
    Options
    How can a simple question end up in an argument, seriously you guys.... go to the gym !!!!
  • madhudoki
    Options
    I eat rice but the way I cook rice is different. I drain starch completely and eat very small quantity with my meat and veggies.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on rice for weight loss. I know that there is rice diets out there. I guess I am just wondering has any used rice on a daily basis? Only asking because I had white rice this morning for breakfast and just got to thinking about it......

If you eat it and don't go into a surplus on calories then I should think its great for weight loss!
  • rgdelacruz43
    rgdelacruz43 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over your daily calorie goal I don't think it's a problem. Rice is a staple in my country and I eat it every day and still manage to lose weight every week. I prefer eating brown rice over white rice though I like the nutty taste of brown rice. :happy:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    How can a simple question end up in an argument, seriously you guys.... go to the gym !!!!

Because this is an internet forum! Everything ends up as an argument!
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I eat rice almost very day - mainly wholegrain/brown rice, but I do eat white pilau rice too as its delicious.

If you are in a calorie deficit, you can eat rice still! I have lost weight and never cut back on eating rice, I just tend to eat smaller portions (40-50g).
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like rice with some foods. But I only eat a "portion" size of it because of the calories. ....And I only have maybe about once a week, because I find veggies to be more nutritious.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    "Rice for Weight loss...." I'm not going to confuse you with terminoligy, so the simple answer is no. Rice, be it white, jasmine, brown, long, medium, short, is a dense food that can only be eaten is small amounts. It's not "good for weight loss."

Rice is awesome; I love it in all it's forms. I grew up eating huge plates of white rice and beans for dinner (I'm sLatina) and I learned early that it's very filling and starchy and contributes to gaining.

Unfortunately, I like a lot of rice and a small 1/2 cup serving is just not gonna do it for me, unless I'm eating at a thai restaurant and they serve the required 1 cup serving, then I accept it and don't ask for more. But at home, I try not to cook it cuz it's just yummy and the hard, crunchy part on the bottom is the BEST. But I don't really need to eat rice so it's not an issue.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What about wild rice?
  • ValGogo
    Options

I know, it's ridiculous, right?

Judging by the picture of the OP, I'm going to assume she has lots of weight to lose, so my answer would be "no" it's not good for weight loss.

Why does it have to be a courtroom brawl?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Negative energy balance is good for weight loss, period end of thread...
  • ValGogo
    Options
    What about wild rice?

Naw, that's too crazy for me. :wink:

Love the bird!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    rice and pasta have too many calories for my liking. I would rather use those calories on extra vegies and/or lean meats. rice is just carbs.