Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Plus the waves won't fit through the little holes. :tongue:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't fear microwaves, but I fear engineers and anyone else who thought differential equations and linear algebra were "fun" courses.

I'm an engineer. DiffEq was NOT fun. Just for the record.

Physical chemistry was fun. We blew stuff up.

Magnesium?

All kinds of stuff in a bomb calorimeter to measure the energy.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Nice explanation, although I suspect not many people will actually go through it. You don't even need to discuss a specific bond or molecule, the energy of microwaves is too low for any chemical reaction. Usually what I say to people is that microwaves have less energy than infrared/heat, so no need to worry
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm going to climb inside a microwave right now.
    If I don't come back out, it's your ***, physics kid.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't fear microwaves, but I fear engineers and anyone else who thought differential equations and linear algebra were "fun" courses.

Oh good! You're infinitely less frightening than the engineers I've known irl. I'm not big on blowing things up-but to each his or her own-as long as we agree that differential equations is not a good time-then we have common ground.

Engineer here tooo!! I HATED DiffEQ, mostly because my teacher was a jerk and it was the first C I ever got in college. I did like linear algebra though, it was pretty cool.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    that's so funny i was just thinking about this!

-___-
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am invoking the Heisenberg uncertainty principle as well as the second law of thermodynamics in understanding this.....hmmm,,, seems reasonable.

You forgot the Bernoulli equation . . . . since we are talking complete nonsense.
    Even a dog knows that.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love differential equations.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nice explanation, although I suspect not many people will actually go through it. You don't even need to discuss a specific bond or molecule, the energy of microwaves is too low for any chemical reaction. Usually what I say to people is that microwaves have less energy than infrared/heat, so no need to worry

But saying it like that wouldn't be as hot!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Oh good! You're infinitely less frightening than the engineers I've known irl. I'm not big on blowing things up-but to each his or her own-as long as we agree that differential equations is not a good time-then we have common ground.

Engineer here tooo!! I HATED DiffEQ, mostly because my teacher was a jerk and it was the first C I ever got in college. I did like linear algebra though, it was pretty cool.

Engineer as well. DiffEQ was scary, vector calc was fun, our proff threw stuff around the class. We did not get to blow things up in p.chem :(
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sitting here eating my microwavable popcorn, I can proudly say I understood everything you said XD
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is going downhill, fast. Can we do a thought experiment or something to liven things up a teensy bit?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    All thought experiments are already solved. That's not much fun.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options

But saying it like that wouldn't be as hot!

lol! but it would be less nerdy! oh wait, is nerdy hot? Damn, all this time trying to hide...
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    antitheist%2B%25282%2529.jpg
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    lol! but it would be less nerdy! oh wait, is nerdy hot? Damn, all this time trying to hide...

I'm sure OP in an apparently topless photo probably amplified somewhat the sexiness of electromagentic radiation.