Replies

• tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    wow! amazing! what an inspiration!:flowerforyou:
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So absolutely amazng!!! Thank you for sharing your story with us!
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness. And such amazing and determination. You are truly an inspiration. And you look fabulous. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!
  • Kryn_K
    Kryn_K Posts: 44
    Options
    Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
    IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
    IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
    IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
    IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
    IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
    IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
    pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
    photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
    photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.
    you made me cry .. this is an incredible history about strength i don't know you but i saw enough to respect and admire you, not only for the weight loss but for the capacity of pulling through. :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! You rock!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You have come a very long way, congratulations on all your hard work. I too, have had back surgery, so I know what it is like to come back from it.
  • Sima05
    Sima05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    you truly are an inspiration....you completely got your life back in the absolute best way...congrats....
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your truly amazing story!
  • chickfromsc
    Options
    AMAZING story!! You must be so proud of all that you have accomplished! And you look WONDERFUL!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration!!!
  • redstampede
    Options
    Wow~ Thank you for sharing this! It is very inspirational!
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What an absolutely wonderful story! Thanks for sharing and congrats to you! You look great!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Holy amazing transformation batman! I'm so inspired by your transformation. It stinks that it had to be such a terrible thing to get you to realize you needed to get healthy, but taking it to heart, that's the best thing you could do for yourself and your family. congratulations on your transformation and keep up the great work!!!
  • aclark316
    Options
    so inspirational. brought tears to my eyes. thank you for sharing this incredible journey with us. You are one amazing lady. :flowerforyou:
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Seriously this is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. You should be so proud that you took control of your life. Congratulations!!!
  • SunshineGirl140
    SunshineGirl140 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love your story - good for you!
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! Thanks so much for sharing your inspirational story!
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great, inspiring story!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow. Wow! WOW!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!