18 months ago today I was paralyzed. ---Pics.---

joyzy
joyzy Posts: 97 Member
Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    I'm so incredibly proud of you. You are living, breathing proof of "Yes, I can." You're an inspiration to everyone here and I'm proud to know you.
  • simply amazing....thanks for sharing!!!!
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story and pictures. It is very inspirational. I love your attitude about your life and also the fact that you are smiling in every picture, regardless of the circumstance!!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    What a great success story! You are truly a great inspiration!!!
  • TrishPretti
    TrishPretti Posts: 51 Member
    I love this!!!! Great job!
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Biggest of hugs Joy...smiles
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Wow! All I can say is WOW! Thank you for posting this!
  • Fantastic and awesome...we all can be inspired by what you have done..

Thanks for sharing your story
  • tammytee93
    tammytee93 Posts: 50 Member
    You know what....you rock!!! Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    I love your story so much, I'm gonna share it with a friend of mine.
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Incredible...
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    AMAZING!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    WOW!! proud and impressed!!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Incredible! Goes to show when you have the determination you can do anything!! Every run must feel so rewarding to you now :)
  • Fan-damn-tactic!!
    You go, girl!!!
    You've given your kids the great joy of yourself, better and for longer.
    Congratulations, you look fabulous :)
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    You are amazing!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Wow. I want to write more. But Wow, just wow!
  • Melly1606
    Melly1606 Posts: 79 Member
    I was sitting at my desk feeling sorry for myself, and then i read your AMAZING story!!!! Makes me realize that i am the only one that can change how i feel and to hold myself accountable for my actions!!! Keep up the great work!!!! You are an inspiration!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    WOW, WOW, WOW

Your story is fantastic and shows that it is a long and difficult journey, but that determination will overcome WHATEVER obstacle is in your way.

Thanks for sharing. I feel really humbled and ready to put a lot more effort in my journey.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Wow!! What a great story! This is so fantastic! You look amazing :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!