Weight or clothes size?

Options
2»

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    For me, the mirror is more important than anything else. Numbers lie, mirrors do not :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Size, (but yeah, looking good in the mirror too). I can wear the same size 6 jeans at 160lbs right now that I could at 145lbs 3 years ago.
  • celb500
    Options
    I am also 5ft10 and I went from a size 16 (Uk sizes, I live in London) to a small UK12. I weigh 10 stone 12 with 4 pounds to go until my goal weight. If I say that I weigh 10stone 12 to my friends they gaspin horror but at our height being a size 12 is nice and allows you to still have curves so i'd say that my clothes size is WAY more important to me. I'm tall so i'm never going to be 9 stone something.

BTW WELL DONE FOR YOUR PROGRESS SO FAR!
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say clothes size. I was a UK 10 - 12 and I weighed about 160lbs.

I'm still trying to get leaner. I love the baffled look that nurses and doctors give me when my BMI doesn't match what they see.

My boyfriend thought I was about 10stones (140lbs) for someone my size and when I told him, he called me 'lead' (compact and heavy!)

I am presently 174 and a UK12

I'm 5'8" by the way. x
  • Emmenstwin
    Emmenstwin Posts: 34 Member
    Options

What I'd like to know is, for those of you who have met your goal or have lost a substantial amount, what has been more satisfying to you - the number on the scale or the clothes size you are wearing?

Which do you think is more important? Would you rather be a smaller size but still heavy, or a healthy weight but still wearing a bigger size?
    I've found that the size I was wering mattered more to me then my weight did. I'd rather be smaller and heavy(like I am now) then weigh less and be a bigger size. Congrats on your loss and keep up the good work.
  • Drewillbeback111
    Options
    how you look.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Coming from the fashion industry and adding to my earlier comment about the clothing sizes, every clothing manufacturer has their own technical specifications for their products. A size 4 pair of jeans could be a size 6 in another brand and depending on fiber content and cut, clothes "fit" differently. Likewise with letter sizes - I wear size Small but sometimes prefer a Medium.

I still say to stick to the mirror. Mirrors don't lie unless you happen to have a cheap one that's warped (this is more common than most people think and department stores are notorious for using ones that make you look slimmer) or you're lucky enough to have an awesome funhouse mirror. ;)
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Neither are where I would find satisfaction. Depending on your body type, clothing sizes can range quite a bit and the same for weight as previous posters have said. Numbers are just silly. You can use them to help reach your goals but ultimately, I go with how I look naked in the mirror :)

I agree with this too. Clothing sizes (at least in the US) vary depending on the brand. The number on the scale is a good starting point if you have a lot of weight to lose, but after you get closer to a healthy weight, the number on the scale doesn't matter as much as how you feel, how you look in the mirror and in photos. My goal right now is to get back down towards 130 pounds, but I also want to be really strong (because I'm training for Tough Mudder), so the muscle I gain might make me closer to 140 and I'm okay with that.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Being female, I'm going to go with what the scale says. Womens' clothing sizes are all over the place. I have skirts that are size 0 that are big on me and I have pants that are size 4 that fit just right, jeans that are size 2 - all over the place. I think there's too much vanity sizing so I just don't trust sizes here in the U.S. (BTW, there is no way I should be a zero, my friend who is much smaller than me has such a hard time finding clothes to fit her because of vanity sizing). Anyway, if I were a guy, I could see the size being more rewarding - like fitting back into those 32/34 pants one wore in high school. 32 inches is still 32 inches as far as I know! Guys, please feel free to correct me if you have vanity sizing problems too.
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I'm not in pursuit of the perfect body, which some people will probably criticise me for.

Just to be a "normal" size - aka not plus size - would be huge for me. I've never been that. I'm not looking for a six pack or bikini body. I just want to be normal! I'm probably never going to love what I see in the mirror, but I can be ok with it. That might sound defeatist, but believe me, when I've spent the last 26 years hating what I see, being ok with it would be a great improvement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!