Starting a diet during the holidays? WHAT?!?!?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Great time to start working on it. If you wait until January you'll regret it cause you'll probably have another 10lbs. to deal with.

No, you won't gain 10lbs in two or three weeks.

Anyway, it's not crazy! If you make it a lifestyle change (ie. enjoy everything in moderation, move a little more even when things are busy, make healthier choices) you'll lose the weight and keep it off, AND still be able to enjoy the holidays. :) Good luck!
  • leelaa
    leelaa Posts: 33
    Options
    No you're not crazy. I started on Dec. 4th knowing that my excuse is always "I'll start after my birthday or Christmas or 4th of July or whatever" and I never get started. I got tired of making excuses. Just log your food and if you do go over those days you'll at least know your ahead by a couple of weeks.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I started my cut last week and one day won't deter me from reaching my goal in 21 weeks.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started at Thanksgiving time and I'm down 8 pounds...That's 8 pounds that I wont have to worry about in the New Year.I just have my rules for the Holidays...

If its not FABULOUS I wont eat it..I'm not going to go GaGA over mashed potatoes or ham..I can eat those anyday.

I will Go GaGA for my famous Pecan pie and Lemonade pie,or my Mom's Dressing! I could make those anytime,but I don't so I'll fit those into my calories.

Since I'm portion controlled I will make my pecan pies into mini's and put the recipe into the builder.I will also look at different websites for lighter versions of the other foods that I make.

It can be done.

This year,instead of making a Million holiday cookies I decided to only make them the last weekend before Christmas and make a smaller batch.

It can be done and good Luck!!!!!
  • barb_32
    barb_32 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Your not crazy I started before thanksgiving and have been staying strong with very few set backs, I plan to continue through christmas. Good luck!
  • blady135
    blady135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nope! I started mine last year on 12/5. Everyone TOLD me I was crazy, but I did fine. I think it helped, actually, because my resolve was still really strong.

Agree with this! I tend to lose more during the holiday season every year. I feel like a boss when everyone else is overindulging that I have a stronger will to eat healthy! Makes me feel powerful and that I am in control :) Good luck!!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you are dedicated and have some damn amazing willpower, go you. I could never start during the holiday's. I made a new years resolution so many times to start at the beginning of the year. This year, I made the same resolution. I didn't get to it until April which is kinda nice, but now I'm going through the holidays while being diet conscious, but also indulging. :) Good luck to ya :)
  • zhiking
    zhiking Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Quote:
    2. Workout! I must workout! How is it that I have let myself get out of the habit of running 5 times a week?!?! It's given me a delightful 40 lb. gain overall! Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Are you a runner? if your not a "running is so much fun" kind of person- 5 days a week might be really challenging - why not start at 3 times a week and mix it up with gym or video workouts? or other sport? I've been amazed how easy and fun some of videos are. (just a suggestion!)

Also while counting calories is good -but don't get too obsessive about it - try to eat smaller portions and more carrots, veggies etc.

good luck!! I know holiday time is so hard -I still don't know how I'm going to survive my holiday work party without eating a ton - I might try to at least not eat as many sweets and some say to make sure to eat something before to make sure I'm not starving when I get there.