Body Fat Percentage??

Options
Apparently my body fat percentage is 26.52..... is that good or bad? lol I'm 5'6" and weigh (currently) 188.8...

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It's average and healthy, women are in normal ranges from 24% to 30%. Under 24 are known as athletic.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    188lbs and 25% bodyfat might be "American Normal", but it's most likely not "good" or "healthy".

That being said, it says nothing about you as a person, so don't take that personally. Put a plan together and knock 30lbs off.
  • btracy01
    Options
    188lbs and 25% bodyfat might be "American Normal", but it's most likely not "good" or "healthy".

That being said, it says nothing about you as a person, so don't take that personally. Put a plan together and knock 30lbs off.

I'm working on it! Lol, Didn't come on over night, and its not gonna come off that quickly either
  • kristen6022
    Options
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

Just to prove I'm not bull****ing you...

Men and women's are different. Your body fat is healthy. Your weight is high (I'm 5'11 and 148 (23% BF) in comparison), but that could mean you have more muscle.
  • btracy01
    Options
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

Just to prove I'm not bull****ing you...

Men and women's are different. Your body fat is healthy. Your weight is high (I'm 5'11 and 148 (23% BF) in comparison), but that could mean you have more muscle.

I do have a lot of muscle...... yay I'm healthy :D lol
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Didn't come on over night, and its not gonna come off that quickly either

GREAT attitude!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Somehow my body fat % was 40+% back on 10/1.. seems so high, OBESE?! I weigh in again next week..curious where I'm at now.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Regardless, it's best to base your progress with respect to body fat rather than scale weight. But yes, you fall within the average American adult female range.
  • kristen6022
    Options
    This chart has nothing to do with being American. It's a global scale.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Mine is 43% at 183 but I am only 5'2".
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options
    @Melo.. curious how yours was measured? I'm 5'0 and at 139 my body fat was 41%. We are using a scale at the gym that calc's it.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Whilst 24%-30 is average for women, age is an important factor too.

Here's a more detailed version.

bodyfat.jpg
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options
    Great chart! At age 34, with 41% body fat.. I'm still "overfat".
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options

What a crappy thing to say. At 25% body fat losing 30lbs would most likely include a significant amount of muscle loss. 25% body fat is not a problem. 20% Body fat which puts her at the Lean (Low) end of things would only be a 12lb weight loss.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    @Melo.. curious how yours was measured? I'm 5'0 and at 139 my body fat was 41%. We are using a scale at the gym that calc's it.

I did the measurements one, I think it is more accurate than a scale because it takes bone size in consideration.
    41% at 139 that is very high that only gives you 82lbs of lean mass.
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options
    Yeah I was very shocked to see such a high number.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet weight 255 with 31.2% body fat

I lift weights mostly but i'm at a point where i need to just slim down
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Body fat seems to be a guessing game...I had mine calculated in various ways -- scale says 28.2%, calipers says 25.5, two calculators (that measures every limb..) says 26.3, and the whopper DXA scan says 42%.....
    I'm 5'8.5, weigh 177lbs and is 44.. Recent profile pic.....