Body Fat Percentage??

Options

Replies

• prairiedawg2014
    Options
    iam 5'5 and 154 lbs. my bodyfat is at 44%. says im obese.....yet i don't look obese. my family and friends say im just right.....whats with that?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    iam 5'5 and 154 lbs. my bodyfat is at 44%. says im obese.....yet i don't look obese. my family and friends say im just right.....whats with that?
    See above....My DXA scan says I'm obese too.....And if that's you on the picture, I think obese is good!
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @Melo.. curious how yours was measured? I'm 5'0 and at 139 my body fat was 41%. We are using a scale at the gym that calc's it.

the best way to calcutate it is in the morning after you "purged" and have not yet drank anything, otherwise it will throw your numbers off.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    had my body fat checked this morning... had it done in september, and it was 43%... today it was 31%... still have a ways to go, but i was stoked! im a upper fat... good to know... lol i prefer to call myself... pleasantly plump...
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    All body fat measurements are subject to pretty broad error. Fat2Fit has three different calculators. I updated mine today, and they gave me 23, 27, and 32%. I had it tested with calipers two months ago, and I was at 36. Then a month ago, with a body comp scale, at 37, despite having lost 5 pounds in between. Then a week ago I had calipers done again, different person, and I was 25%. I can promise you I am not at 25% yet. :D I would guess I'm around 31%.

So while body fat is the best way to measure your progress, you really just have to pick one method and compare yourself to your previous measurements using that same method over time.

There are also some cool comparison pictures where you can see what a typical person at that body fat would look like - at builtlean.com I think.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Great chart! At age 34, with 41% body fat.. I'm still "overfat".

According to your pics, I'm pretty sure that scale was a tad off. You look like I do - and I got mine done and I'm in the 23% range. Go get yours done by calipers, that scale is crap. You are 139 and 5'11, you are NOT FAT...
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, 123lbs and at 15.7%....I'm trying to get down to 13% though, may even push for 11%. My hope is to be there by spring. Fingers crossed!
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    had my body fat checked this morning... had it done in september, and it was 43%... today it was 31%... still have a ways to go, but i was stoked!

WOW!! CONGRATS! I would love a loss like that! How much weight have you lost in this time frame? Did you eat or drink before you were checked?
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options

According to your pics, I'm pretty sure that scale was a tad off. You look like I do - and I got mine done and I'm in the 23% range. Go get yours done by calipers, that scale is crap. You are 139 and 5'11, you are NOT FAT...

No I'm 5 ft even.. but I still think it seems high! I'll keep you posted on what it says next week at my weigh in.

And I actually have calipers at home, going to see what that says.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    what is the best most accurate site to use if you can't get to the gym and get it professionally measured? I have done a few online sites and says 23%, the i used a scale in the store one and it said 28%
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did the Pod Bod a week ago and was SHOCKED at my body fat percentage. I run, I lift weights, I eat healthy and I was at 44% body fat. I thought I was a bit more muscle than it turns out I am. I was very discouraged when I got those results. I've now just started upping my weight lifting to 3x a week to try and get some more muscle mass. I go back in February to get retested to see how I did! When I did my body fat based on height and weight I was at 31% so that was waaaaay off.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    @Melo.. curious how yours was measured? I'm 5'0 and at 139 my body fat was 41%. We are using a scale at the gym that calc's it.

the best way to calcutate it is in the morning after you "purged" and have not yet drank anything, otherwise it will throw your numbers off.

This and I think using the same scale or what not every time so even if it is a little off you can see the trend of of it going down or not.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Here's some photos for visual comparison to give a rough est

body-fat-percentage-pictures-female.jpg
    womenbodyfat3.jpg

Bare in mind you can look completely diff depending on muscle.
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    had my body fat checked this morning... had it done in september, and it was 43%... today it was 31%... still have a ways to go, but i was stoked!

WOW!! CONGRATS! I would love a loss like that! How much weight have you lost in this time frame? Did you eat or drink before you were checked?

WELL, HERE IS MY PROGRESS PICS OVER THE LAST 6 MONTHS...
    dec82012-1.jpg

i started out in jan at 246, in sept i was 230, then i got serious, and today, im 205... still have more to go...

im 5'10 1/2 32 years old...

i had it checked first thing this morning before drinking or eating...
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    26% BF and 188 lbs and 5'6..... This doesn't sound correct to me unless you are FULL of muscle. I was 145lbs, 5' 5.5" Tall & 30% BF.
    I have lost some BF and gained some muscle so I am sure that I am between 20-25% but I have a lot of muscle. How much weight lifting do you do? How was it measured?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

No I'm 5 ft even.. but I still think it seems high! I'll keep you posted on what it says next week at my weigh in.

And I actually have calipers at home, going to see what that says.

Opps, sorry, I read wrong. But you still don't look much "fatter" than me in your pics...
  • nicolemarie1978
    Options
    @McGraw... awesome work!!!

My gym is holding a challenge and it's based on body fat % loss to determine the winner.. so that's why I'm so curious about it. I've only ever checked it on their scale, and will again next week! My weigh in time is 5:30 am so I won't have anything to eat or drink before.. hoping I can "purge" before too bahaha!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

Just to prove I'm not bull****ing you...

Men and women's are different. Your body fat is healthy. Your weight is high (I'm 5'11 and 148 (23% BF) in comparison), but that could mean you have more muscle.

I do have a lot of muscle...... yay I'm healthy :D lol

no offense but "average" doesn't necessarily mean "healthy" . . . . just saying
  • calisunrise
    Options
    5'7 121 lbs, 20.2 BF% according to the military method. hoping to get down to 17-18% :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    @McGraw... awesome work!!!

My gym is holding a challenge and it's based on body fat % loss to determine the winner.. so that's why I'm so curious about it. I've only ever checked it on their scale, and will again next week! My weigh in time is 5:30 am so I won't have anything to eat or drink before.. hoping I can "purge" before too bahaha!

thanks! i know i was actually higher in january, i think over 45%, but i dont remember the exact number, i only remember september because thats when i started back at the gym and got "serious" about losing this weight. i had 5 kids back to back, and put on quite alot of weight... then i quit smoking and really packed it on... its coming off pretty stead right now with my diet and gym routine... glad to have my confidence start to come back, i was getting pretty "yucky" feeling! im going to have it checked again in 1 month, and im hoping its below 30%, idealy, 28%?/?/?/?/ :o