I'm so embarrassed

Options
TL;DR: I spent all of my money on food that makes me fat and sick. Help.

I would LOVE to eat healthy foods all the time
but "I can't afford it?"
I've been complaining about not being able to afford Christmas presents,
not being able to move closer to the beach,
not being able to fix my car...
and...being fat, and sluggish, and having panic attacks, blahblahblah

But yesterday, before work I could afford to get a coffee for me and my boyfriend...
$10, lots of sugar, caffeine and calories... (gee, why am I having panic attacks, why is it sooo hard to stay under calories?)

Alright, one thing...
NOPE I have to work, and There's just "nothing my bf and I can do besides eat..."
$21, nasty old pasta, grossest tri tip sandwich I ever had... but I "had to eat it"

I "didn't have time to exercise before work" ...even though I pay $100 for the gym (I know, right?) I live 10 minutes from the beach, 10-20 from 5 beautiful hikes, etc.

So, I get off of work, still magically under cals, but feel like TOTAL crap...
My boyfriend and I were literally talking about eating healthy, when he says "I want chicken strips"
:| We pull up to Dennys, I think I'll have 1 strip, and maybe a diet coke...
not chicken strips, 3 vanilla cokes, and mozzerella sticks.
$23

I spent 55ish dollars, in one day... on CRAP.
I had a terrible stomach ache, I was moodswingy and gittery alllll day.
I don't buy new work clothes because a) I "can't afford them" and b) I feel so uncomfortable in clothes, it's unreal.

My boyfriend said if I can go from today to January 1st without eating out, he'll take me to a steak dinner...
That sounds AWESOME but I don't know if I should reward myself with food.

I was wondering... How did you overcome this "problem?"
Any similar stories?
Any advice?
Any ranting?
Anyone want to be my friend? Hold me accountable?
Anyone else get gittery and panicy after certain foods?
Any advice on healthy eating on a budget?

I know, you probably see these stories all the time, and shake your head...
but maybe, me...seeing how ridiculous I am being...and being held accountable will help me in my journey.

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    trying to determine if you are serious
  • fearless_
    Options
    trying to determine if you are serious

There's a lot of sarcasm in there, hence quotation marks....but mostly serious.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The caffeine is probably what's making you jittery and panicky, especially with no good food in you.

As for the other things, make a budget and actually stick to it. This works for your calories and your money. There are tons of sites out there that can help you get your finances in order, and can also help you plan your food so that you can afford to eat healthy. You could even eat the same junk for much cheaper than you ate out. A box of frozen mozzarella sticks and a 2 liter of vanilla Coke would cost you less than $5 and give you more food, not that I recommend you going out and buying that stuff, but if it helps you afford some healthy food, too, then I say go for it.

For the food thing, start planning your meals. It's way cheaper to eat at home than to eat out, as you've obviously noticed. For $55, you could have probably bought enough real food for a week! Buy what's on sale and don't buy a lot of pre-packaged convenience foods, diet or otherwise. Make a big pot of soup or chili for lunches and even dinners. Cook up a couple pounds of ground beef and use it for tacos a couple nights and spaghetti other nights, etc. Beans can be cheap and filling. I use them to make my chilis and soups heartier without having to add more meat. Google meal planning on a budget, for more dollar stretching ideas.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i am definately on a budget, and some healthy foods i found would be brown rice, eggs, oatmeal, sliced deli meats, canned chicken,canned tuna, canned grean beans, canned or frozen peas (not sweet peas) frozen vegtable, fresh celery, apples, bananas, unsalted peanuts, dollar store wheat thins, dry beans, some canned soups are low cal... lol most of what i eat is due to a strict budget . friend me if ya want my diary is public to friends. its not always clean or up to 1200 cals and some times is flat out boring but you can get an idea lol:flowerforyou:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. I mean - people ask here all the time how to find "motivation" and how to make the right choices.

The thing is, I can't want you to lose weight and I can't make your choices for you. It comes down to YOU and you have to decide why you want to do it. Then you have to just get off your *kitten* and do it.

I don't allow myself to "have" to make bad food choices. I pre-plan my meals and I bring all my food with me when I leave for work in the morning. I cook all our dinners. And I plan trips to the gym or plan exercise routines at home and I just don't skip them. I do all this because there is a certain way I want to look and a way I want to feel, and I know that these choices I'm making are helping me to achieve that.

It doesn't mean you can't ever eat at Denny's again. But you aren't going to get what you want by consistently making the wrong choices, especially when you KNOW they are wrong. No one here can fix that for you.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think I got the sarcasm bit.....uh, I think started working for me when I made eating healthy and being healthy an easy option.
    Ya, I know that sounds dumb.
    But what I mean is this, if you have healthy food readily available, it's easier to choose it then to just cave and go for the crap stuff.
    If you have a gym membership close to home (or workout at home, etc) and you have your workout gear ready to use right after work it gives you less of an excuse to not go.
    I still struggle with eating healthy and exercising some times, but you have to start somewhere and the more convenient you can make it for yourself with planning out easy, cheap, and healthy meals or say working out with a friend, the more likely you are to stick with it.
  • BlueMoon
    BlueMoon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat breakfast before leaving your house in the morning. If your not hungry your more likely to make smart choices. I have a similiar problem at times... try to plan meals a head of time by looking at weekly ads for your local grocery store, left overs make a great lunch too. That will cover your 3 main meals, then make sure you pack lots of healthy snacks, fruit, veggies and dip, yogurt.. I personally love the 100 cal popcorn bags. Taking a little time to cook your own food will not only make it healthier but cheaper.
    I've found that by doing this I have not only saved money, but I'm losing weight too! Eatting healthy snacks (between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and dinner, especially that difficult time of 3pm) gives me the energy I need when I get home to make something good for me. I have the energy to work out which makes me feel good and wanting to eat right.... its a cycle.
    I'd say start planning your meals and go from there, making sure to have lots of fruit and other healthy snacks to keep you from being too hungry. :flowerforyou: good luck!
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    Healthy foods are far cheaper that the other foods you listed. My wife and I cut back on going out to eat and we have saved a ton of money, enough for a down payment on the house we just bought. Shop the outer ring of the grocery store, i.e. produce, meats, dairy, etc. and you will find that your grocery bill goes down quite a bit. And it forces you to eat healthy. Once you stick to it for a while it becomes alot easier to stay in and make a quick dinner. Also it tastes so much better and makes you feel loads better. I try to make a habit of having my meals planned out on sunday so that if needed i can make them, freeze them, then heat em up at night. Works great for me. Also i always eat right before shopping. It keeps me from collecting everything in sight.
    As far as working out goes... If you are truly invested in the idea of being healthier, you will make time for it. I wake up at 2:30 in the morning on workout days and get it done, because it is a priority, or I do it as soon as i get home from work. I make it a requirement to eat dinner. In my mind if i want that good dinner my wife made i have to at least go for a run.
    All in all though, a healthy lifestyle is, in my opinion, 80 percent intake. Not to say exercise isn't important, but if you fuel your body correctly, you will be more likely to feel like working out and more likely to have great workouts.
    Take small steps towards being healthy and you will accomplish it very quickly. Keep at it!! I know it will be worth it!! You won't look back and see all the times you didn't get to eat that piece of cake, or all the horrible workouts. Once you change your perspective and begin to see changes you will only see the amazing change in your health, a love for a sweat drenched shirt, and a serious upgrade to confidence and desires. Best of luck. I'm here cheering you on!

ETA: Because I can't spell...
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. At least you're being honest with yourself. It's hard to eat right when all the stuff that is so bad for you, tastes SO good! It's hard to go to the gym, when you're already feeling like crap, and comfort food is calling your name.

Don't dread going to the gym. You don't have to go and work out so hard that you hate it. Just go do SOMETHING. Walk on the treadmill, ride the bike for a bit, anything. Even if it's at a slow pace, at least you're out there moving. Download a book to your iPod, or your favorite TV show. Something to take your mind off the exercise. After a while, you'll find that you WANT to go!

Try to limit your crappy food to once a week. Allow yourself one day every week to eat whatever you want (within reason). Don't use it as a binge day, but use it to treat yourself for being so good the other 6 days.

When I am out to eat, or wherever, and someone offers me a "bite" of something, I always say no. Not because I don't want to try it...but because I know myself. I can't have 1 bite. I'll eat the whole thing. Or order my own! It's easier to not even start.

Sorry, I didn't mean to throw a bunch of stuff at you. Just trying to give you some pointers. Just some things that worked for me in the beginning. And even though I don't have a huge weight loss to show for it, I certainly feel better and have more energy. Sometimes it's enough...
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on a budget too. I make sure to get healthy things at the grocery store once a week, and I also leave my credit/debit cards or cash at home, so I'm not able to go out for breakfast/lunch/dinner at or after work. It forces me to bring my lunch and plan for the day. You can do it - you just *have* to do it.
  • fearless_
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Such great advice
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also, I think it works best to make the changes one at a time. It's hard regardless, you can't just slam yourself with everything at once. If you (say) want to eat at home more, eat better food, and go to the gym more ... pick one. Maybe you spend the next 3 weeks making sure you go to the gym like you should, and maybe it takes (like it did for me) more like 2 months before you start ACTUALLY going to the gym like you want... but you get there. Then you take on a different part of your list. Otherwise you'll overwhelm yourself with tasks you can't, won't, or don't want to do on some level and quit. It takes at least 21 consistent days to form a habit, and it's not something you can rush.
  • Sounds like you need to see a therapist and not MFP. Good luck.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    lifestyle changes are hard. Personally, I can't stand sweet coffee drinks, so I never got caught up in the fancy $5 coffees at Starbucks. But, just like all other life changes, you just need to decide you aren't going to do it any longer. Make coffee at home and leave the sweet stuff out. just do it.

Making significant life changes takes the ability to stop and think before you act. You have to recognize where the problems exist, and then recognize when you are about to make one of those problematic decisions... like pigging out at Applebee's (or wherever)

Restaurants are tough because they are opportunities to have things we don't normally get, but you have to recognize that is a area of weakness, then think through the initial urges. I really want that big fat greasy burger and a side of fries, oh and that deep fried cheese appetizer... yeah, thats good... but, whats it going to get me? .. heartburn? skyrocket past my numbers for the day and its only lunch time, depression, indigestion, does this fit in with my long term goals?... hmmm, maybe I'll skip the cheese and have this nice chicken salad with oil/vinegar dressing on the side

I don't have endless amounts of money to spend on exotic "health" foods. My wife is barely on board with all the changes I've been making anyway, so getting her to shop differently is a tough one. We don't eat out a lot, it is a complete waste of money to eat out all the time (particularly if you are on a budget). We do make smart choices with the food we buy though... whole grain bread and cereal. Low fat cheese and spreads, etc.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I made heame excuses you do.. honestly.. you just have to get it in you head and do it. Don't make excuses.. make decisions and stick to them.
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    I feel like food is an addiction for me. I have started bringing my lunch to work everyday (saves money and about a kajillion calories). I work out over my lunch break- saves me from excuses. . . If I try to work out when I get home at night, it never ever happens. I would suggest making SMALL changes. Cut out pop for 2 weeks. Then move on to the next goal. If you try to change your life over night. . .it probably won't happen
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Don't look or think about that food fatty fatty pants cause it's why you are in this mess in the first place. That is what I used to tell myself when I first started, nowadays I smile when I see Denny's commercials cause I know I can make better food at home for the same cost that will last me two days.

The main thing was learning that every time I gave in to temptation it only made me have to wait longer for what I really need which is a much healthier body.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It think your bet with your boyfriend will help you financially and physically. I let myself order something off a menu twice a week. It helps a lot to get into the habit of making your own food and eating at home, not on the run. If you are in school, take lunches. If you aren't home much, plan for it. Your body and wallet will thank you when you see how much you saved and how much your stomach doesn't hurt!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Pick a day.

On that day, cook a pot-load of healthy food,
    like a beef and veg stew, or lentils.

Make a lot. Freeze half. You'll have fewer excuses for eating out.
    And you'll always have healthy food in the freezer. Just defrost.

I do this once a week. On Sundays.
    I also wash and prepare fresh vegetables and refrigerate in zip-lock bags,
    so they're always handy and ready to eat.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You can't afford Christmas and it bothers you but you can afford 100$ gym membership that doesn't get used... yup makes sense.

Figure out a budget you can stick to and stick to it. Drop the gym membership if you "can't afford to eat healthy"

any time I want fast food I find a recipe online that is similar that I can make at home - way more filling, way less money and about the same amount of time to make it.

If you want to do this you will find ways around it.