CARBS!

2»

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    They have lots of potassium. I put plain yogurt on mine.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Floury jacket potatoes are high on the glycaemic index, so turn to sugar in the body very quickly. Reduce the GI by eating a small portion (?half a potato) with sources of protein, healthy fats and fibre. Or switch to sweet potatoes or waxy new potatoes in their skins if you like those.

"Floury"??? Potatoes? Flour is a ground up grain...There is no "flour" in them.

"Floury" potatoes is a description that means they are older, drier, they are great for making chips, roasting, mashing etc., New potatoes tend to be more "juicy"/moister, better for cooking in their jackets etc.

Thinking about it ..... there are lots of different types of potato, Nadine, Delaware, etc - I wonder if any are better or worse in calories? Question for the Potato Marketing Board :laugh:

Just found this website (Australian) haven't looked at recipes etc but might be interesting?

http://www.westernpotatoes.com.au/
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    The only thing you are not supposed to eat is broccoli. Broccoli is the devil!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    If potatoes were that bad, there wouldn't be Irish people around today.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Floury jacket potatoes are high on the glycaemic index, so turn to sugar in the body very quickly. Reduce the GI by eating a small portion (?half a potato) with sources of protein, healthy fats and fibre. Or switch to sweet potatoes or waxy new potatoes in their skins if you like those.

"Floury"??? Potatoes? Flour is a ground up grain...There is no "flour" in them.

Floury or waxy - texture of different varieties of potato generally used for different culinary purposes, how do you yanks describe them? Some varieties make better eating as new potatoes in skins, some make better fries or jacket potatoes.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Potatoes are great.

Now sweet potato chocolate pudding is just awesome!!