Some Perspective

Options
2»

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Those are really fantastic accomplishments, not miniscule at all.

I think this year I'm most proud that I've achieved a much healed relationship with food and exercise. Nowhere near my 'goal' body/weight/fitness level, BUT just the fact that I am no longer anxious about food, can eat while being at peace with my body, and work out because I enjoy it and because I want to be healthy rather than to punish myself for every bite I took.... that is huge. I would say that because of that, 2012 was a huge success.

Here's to 2013! :drinker:

This is pretty much me, too. Healing my relationship with food has been more of an accomplishment than the weight loss. I am now confident that I can not only keep the weight off, but recover from having another baby quickly. I agree with a poster above that said it is amazing how the body feels when you take care of it. Mentally I am a different person and the internal journey has been just as important.

I am also thankful I took the time to learn what all the numbers mean and that I was able to do this eating over 2,000 calories most days and wihout feeling like I am suffering at all. The other plus to this is that I am able to push myself so much harder physically because my body is well nourished. Thats why I log my workouts as "lifting like a boss". I am owning this! AMAZING feeling. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great post and congrats on your success so far.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    People tend to forget to enjoy the journey cause they are so focused on the destination.

I love this because I think the same thing sometimes. Focus on the process. That's where the real power is. The end is just the result.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am proud of myself for finally recognizing that I needed a lifestyle change and that I have remained determined to stick to my goals.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For 2012, I'm happy that I got back down into the 150s. I'm now working on building muscle.

My 2013 goals are modest. Since I just started the "Practical Programming" version of the "Starting Strength" program, my goals are really just to get to the weights that come up on my spreadsheet for if I'm able to add every week for 12 weeks. Not necessarily realistic for 12 weeks - I'm sure I'll have to deload a couple of times - but I'm sure (hoping?) this will doable by summer, or at least some point next year:

2013 Goals:
    Squat: 315 lb (just over 2x my current BW)
    Bench: 225 (about 1.5x my current BW)
    Overhead: 165 (just over 1x my current BW)
    Deadlift: 360 lb (about 2-1/3x my current BW)
    Chin/Pull-Ups: 3 rounds of 15 at BW (I'm terrible at chins and pulls)

From there, my goals will change, but that's what my aim is now.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    2012 started out with a bang - I had both knees replaced in Jan/Feb. So it was definitley a struggle to get back to moving and exercising.

Since the surgeries:

- lost about 45 pounds
    - went down 2-3 sizes in clothing
    - changed my lifestyle:
    - I work out 5-6 times per week now
    - I eat much healthier now

I've been beating myself up for going crazy the last few days but you're right - I need to look at how far I've come. I need to get back on track, but I also need to quit beating myself up for a few bad days.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Congrats to you and all the rest on the progress. I was thinking about this thread at the gym just a little while ago as I was doing 3 sets of 5 unassited dips. A year ago, I couldn't do one. Began strength training last March and am Squatting 275 and DL 280 after startining both at about 150. Not at all satisfied with some things yet. But that's part of the journey. Always improving and getting better.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Great post, perspective is awesome. Enjoy the journey.